Directionlessness - is it a problem?

Diane

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 02:58 pm
Littlek, just found your thread. You remind me of my sons and lots of my friends.

A question--are you alright with being directionless? Have your family or friends given you a hard time? That is something that directionless people often have to contend with.

My ex-husband, when talking with our sons about careers, would always speak of "success" as in salary and corporate life. Turns out that they are both very creative, art and music. They would never do well in a corporate atmosphere. They never heard a word about following their own course, or having a successful life as in being a kind, decent person.

I guess this comes down to hoping you feel good about yourself. I understand your concern about retirement, it is a real problem in this country. And it also seems that you are feeling better now that you have made the first couple of steps. I just hope that you won't lose that wonderful sense of wanting to explore and experience everything.

BTW, teachers are desparately needed here in ABQ. Hint, hint.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 03:04 pm
Hey! No fair recruiting!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 12:05 pm
LOL George. Good people are so hard to find that I have no remorse at all recruiting littlek.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:09 pm
Do not be fooled by their smooth talk, George. It's all part of their plan to establish an A2K Headquarters in Los Alamos (just outside of Albuquerque, by no small coincidence.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:10 pm
We shall over-run.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:12 pm
And you have just the car to do it, Dys.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:16 pm
Hee, hee, how about Roswell? It might explain why we get so weird at times.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:17 pm
Eva, you have a very nice and polite son, how did that happen?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:20 pm
I keep him away from people like you, Dys.

Oh...Thank you.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:21 pm
Embarrassed
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:25 pm
Surely it isn't purely by coincidence that Los Alamos, Roswell, BBB, Dys, Diane, Asherman and (almost) Osso are all in the same state.

There must be some form of superior intelligence involved.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:33 pm
You calling me an alien?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:37 pm
dyslexia wrote:
You calling me an alien?

Once you told me that NM is not an American state...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:47 pm
Well, of course I did francis but only because you're an alien and I thought you could relate. I'm a resident non-alien with a visa.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:52 pm
dyslexia wrote:
You calling me an alien?

No. Laughing

But now that you mention it, you are...um, different. But no, no, I'm pretty sure you are human. I worry about you living so close to ET territory, though. Suppose an alien spacecraft beamed you aboard. Just think of the intergalactic confusion it could create if they assumed you were a typical specimen!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:01 am
Sigh.... to be back in NM, teaching.....
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:25 am
Littlek, doesn't need to be a dream...
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:07 am
littlek wrote:
Sigh.... to be back in NM, teaching.....

What, and miss this wonderful NE winter weather?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:47 am
That's actually something really worth pursuing before lack of job opportunities gets you down. The demand for qualified teachers varies widely according to where you live, with a glut in college towns and a shortage in a lot of other places. You're relatively unfettered as of now and have a lot of options and before you make any decisions based on the perceived difficulty of finding a job with an M.Ed, might be good to think about a) whether you're willing to move and then b) if so, some investigation of what areas are most in need of teachers.

When I was actively looking for a job after I got my M.Ed I couldn't find one in Madison (major college town) or the immediate vicinity, but there were a ton of other jobs available elsewhere that I wasn't willing to move for.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:53 am
Oooh!

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/deferffel.jsp?tab=repaying

Click on " List of federally designated teacher shortage areas (Word or PDF)" about halfway down.
0 Replies