Directionlessness - is it a problem?

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:24 pm
Not to imply that you thought I was eating the gnat.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:27 pm
I was pretty sure you were eating a gnat, lots a protein, low carbs, non-fat.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:32 pm
I thought the gnat was eating the sandwich.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:55 pm
Who's on third?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:00 pm
New Mexico gnat
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/eek/critter/bird/images/turkeyvulture.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 11:31 am
<I missed the first posts on this thread when I posted last - how?>

JP - sorry to hear about your dad. I have realized that having kids is probably not compatible with my personality.

Aw, George, thanks! You have great counseling skills.

CJ - yep, it's the retirment stuff that's really getting to me.

Ok, Gus, glad to hear you're ok and not shooting peanut butter eating gnats' wings off.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 01:39 pm
There is nothing wrong with being directionless. I was at one time...didn't have a major until my third year of college, and was bouncing between English, Psychology, and Business. There are different personality types. Some people are highly organized, and need a specific plan to follow. Others are less organized, and more of the "go with the flow" type. And personality type is not an indicator of how successful one can be.

However, because you KNOW you need to take action to start a better retirement plan, you're going to have to move a little outside your "comfort zone," apply some "go-getter" principles, and make something happen. People get stuck(work, life) because they fear change. And that fear comes only from what you perceive.

You want to be a teacher. And you're very intelligent, so you're wasting your talents. Doing all those little buckaroos out there a disservice. Sit down, and write out a detailed plan on what steps you need to become a teacher. And follow out each step, even if it's not easy for you to make the next move. Set small goals leading to the goal of being a full time teacher. Don't wait another day.

From a guy...who lives...IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 03:26 pm
Slappy - very great advice and an angle I hadn't approached the subject from. The idea that I need to go outside my comfort zone is working for me. It seems so obvious. If I know I have to get uncomfy and I tell myself to suck it up, I might get through this.

You used that (a guy...who lives...IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER) line before a long time ago, yes? Maybe even on abuzz...... or was that someone else?

Scary, this is a very logical post to me.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 03:49 pm
I've used it before. That's a quote from a SNL skit. Chris Farley was a motivational speaker, and kept yelling it. One of the best SNL skits of all time.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 04:44 pm
Aaaahhh....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:52 pm
littlek, I haven't offered advice on this thread because, although I'm reading along (glad you're ok, gus), I didn't know what to say. Like CJ, I've always had a direction and approached a fork in the road as a decision to be made, made it, and kept on truckin', seldom thinking of the road not traveled.

I agree with Slappy. You know that you have a point out there someday that needs to be addressed and the sooner you start working toward it the better - but you already know that. You're at a fork in the road, or a damn in the river, or whatever metaphor suits your fancy. Pick a direction and start the walk, it's the only way to move along the path.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:12 am
I finally sent an email to the financial aid department at the uni I want to attend. And, I found out when one letter writer was available to write a recommendation for me. I'll need to call my old school for transcripts on monday and buy a couple of envelops for the letters of recommendation.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:31 am
I might have a few envelopes around here, littlek.

That would save you some money.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:36 am
pffft.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:36 am
What's happening between us, littlek? We seem to be drifting apart.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:38 am
Aw, come here, let's go under the sand and talk about it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:40 am
That was the single funniest thing I have ever heard you say.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:43 am
Really? Hmmm.... I must not be very funny.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:49 am
This sand is comfy and the lapping waves are lulling me to lala land. G'night.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 04:07 am
WAKE UP!!!!! and give me direction. The sand is in my asscrack and the tide is rising!!!
0 Replies