Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:43 am
Littlek--

Very good. Step by step by step.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:08 pm
Amigo - go back to school?

Noddy - I called my brother who is also applying to a masters degree in teaching (his will be for visually impaired). He's way ahead of me. We discussed my next 2 steps and he said my deadline was thursday. I decided my deadline should be wednesday. I have him to answer to. Ha!

I sent an email to admissions. Seems they want the letters of recommendation from those who knowme professionally or academically. This could be tricky. I hope they can be flexible.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:16 pm
Awesome!

Don't you work for your sister? Don't mention that she's a relative, and use her as a professional reference. I'd just straight out ask them if they still want an academic letter since you've been out of school for so long.

You know, because you're so goddamn old.

Not old like Bea Arthur, but old.

Like, getting some grays, eh?

Getting old.....older. Little kids look at you and see an old chick.

Say, do people still have sex at your age?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:21 pm
Slappy needs some serious slaps on the back of his head.
He did make so much sense earlier <sigh>

Congratulations littlek!!! You've made your first step
already.

Tell me, what kind of teacher do you want to be (elementary, high school, only certain subjects)?

Can you work as a teachers aid in the meantime to fund
your Masters?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:24 pm
thank you slappy. Rolling Eyes

cjane - elementary ed. i can volunteer in the class room. but, i work very full time, so i dunno when i'd have time. (cat's on my left arm....hard to type)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:27 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Say, do people still have sex at your age?

there are two ways to find out

since you likely won't live long enough for the second one

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:28 pm
<psst> slappy, I think Beth's coming on to you.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 01:33 pm
ehBeth, you had me at "there."
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:56 pm
Hm littlek, but you could work already as a teacher while
preparing for your educators license.

Look here http://www.doe.mass.edu/GEM/req.html

You don't need a master degree for being an elementary teacher and the 2+ years it will take you to finish your masters, you could work already as a teacher and pay into the teachers' retirement fund, in addition to get other benefits your sister probably won't pay you as a nanny.

Once you're established and a teacher with a decent
salary and paying into your retirement fund, than you
could enroll in a master program.

Financially, figure out what 2 years of continued work
for your sister without benefits would bring you versus
working as a teacher with salary and benfits and retirement
package.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:35 pm
I've been debating with myself as to whether I should post my thoughts on getting a masters degree in education, but since cj is already advocating getting a teacher's certificate without a masters I'll jump in.

A very close friend of mine spent 2+ years getting a MEd. She had no prior teaching experience, but was a substitute teacher for two years before going back to school. She finished her MEd two years ago and is still looking for a teaching job. The school districts don't want to hire her because they have to pay her on a MEd scale but she has no experience. Her years of substituting do not count at all as time in the classroom, it's considered along the lines of babysitting.

I agree with C_Jane, littlek, you can get a teacher's certificate very quickly and then get hired into the school system on the BS/BA scale. Once hired you can always work towards your masters degree and then move up on the payscale.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:57 pm
I believe in MA, you have to get your Master's within a certain number of years. Guess you can also keep pushing that deadline up once you get close, though. I've got a bunch of friends who are teachers. Probably explains why they all drink so much.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:44 pm
J_B wrote:
I've been debating with myself as to whether I should post my thoughts on getting a masters degree in education, but since cj is already advocating getting a teacher's certificate without a masters I'll jump in.

A very close friend of mine spent 2+ years getting a MEd. She had no prior teaching experience, but was a substitute teacher for two years before going back to school. She finished her MEd two years ago and is still looking for a teaching job. The school districts don't want to hire her because they have to pay her on a MEd scale but she has no experience. Her years of substituting do not count at all as time in the classroom, it's considered along the lines of babysitting.

I agree with C_Jane, littlek, you can get a teacher's certificate very quickly and then get hired into the school system on the BS/BA scale. Once hired you can always work towards your masters degree and then move up on the payscale.

That's exactly what happened to a friend of mine J_B, and she is working
in a Preschool now with peanuts for a salary, and at 42 years, she's not
exactly hot commodity.

-------

Slappy, that's why I looked at the Mass Educational site to find out of
the requirements, and you don't need a MEd for a teaching license.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:47 pm
You don't need one for a teaching license, but I think you have to get one within a certain number of years after becoming a full time teacher.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:51 pm
Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood you then, Slappy.

Well, regardless, it would be better to get the foot in the
door first, and get some experience.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 11:45 pm
I'll read closer tomorrow, but a couple things right now....

I can't work for my sister for 2 more years. My full-time position with her is done next fall.

I was with a friend last night who pointed out tome that if what I was after was a good. quick retirement package, that maybe teaching wasn't the job for me (at my age).
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:34 am
At what age were you hoping to retire? Does teaching appeal to you or does it just seem like something to do? I ask because if it really appeals to you then perhaps the "normal" retirement age isn't that much of an issue for you and you just keep working.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 02:23 pm
What's retirement?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 02:26 pm
retirement=having a heart attack while working overtime at your desk. retirement plan=DOA.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 02:27 pm
do you need a quick and juicy retirement package, k? wouldn't some humble safety package do? that you could get with teaching. you can always landscape and such on the side of a humble retirement.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 02:35 pm
dyslexia wrote:
retirement=having a heart attack while working overtime at your desk. retirement plan=DOA.

I can't die yet, I'm behind schedule.
0 Replies