Home remedies, concoctions, comforts & cures ...

msolga

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 07:19 am
No really, they pop up with the heat & linger!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 04:41 pm
I have been hunting and hunting for this book ever since this thread started.
Of course, it isnt until the Mister and I completely gut the downstairs den area, that I FIND IT.. Confused Laughing

I have a Van Noy Diary ( personal finance book ) printed in 1912.
In the back of it, it has many little chapters on how to 'Exterminate pests", and what to do "During Emergency Time" I thought its contents would be an interesting read .

= ( quoted word for word) =

Exterminate the Pests

Roaches- Sprinkle powdered borax in all their runways. One ot rwo applications will do the work effectually. Try the same for other unwanted bugs.

Bed bugs- Visit all thier haunts with a strong solution of corrosive sublimate ( poison ) . Apply with a feather. Use a medicine dropper or fountain pen filler in some places. Repeat at frequent intervals.

House Flies- ( Taken mainly from Bulletin of the American Civic Association, Washington D.C.) Do away with their breeding places, dirt and filth of kids, manure, particularly horse manure-no filth no flies.
Use screens at all doors and wisndow; and screen all foods particularly fluids, fruits and salads such as are eaten with little or no cooking. Do not allow one fly to go unkilled . A few flies in the house at any time may mean thousands of flies later on . They multiply very rapidly. A striker consisting of a small piece of wire screen cloth attached to a handle will hit a dlu everytime. These killers are found at the five and ten cent store .
Drop carbolic acid on a hot surface. The vapor kills flies.
Dissolve one fram of bichromate of potash and a little sugar in two ounces of water. Distribute about the house in shallow dishes. A spoonfull of formalin or formaldehyde in a quarter of a pint of water answers the same purpose.
Burn pyretherum powder. This stupifies the flies when they may be swept and burned.

Danger from flies-
Flies do more then spread TB, typhoid fever, cholera infantum and other intestinal diseases then any other cause. A few germs in milk from the body of one fly may develop into millions and cause serious illness.
Do not forget that flies carry infection, contagion, and everything that is filthy and deadly. Either man kills flies or they kill man. Do not tolerate anything that comes into contact with a fly.

Emergency Times-

Choking- To expel body from the thraot, go on hands and knees and cough. The person may be suspended by the heels, and his back percussed. Draw the tongue forward and seize the body with a pair of forceps or a hook ( may be the size of a hair pin ) If out of sight may be pressed down with the finger or a smooth long rod with a rounded end, while the head is thrown back ; or work down from outside by pressure.

Bruises-
Apply quickly a hot fomentation. Renew every five minutes for an hour or two. Follow this with a tepid compress. This will prevent coch of the swelling soreness and discoloration.

Chimney on Fire-
Throw upon the fire in the stove or fireplace salt or sulpher.

Punctures or slight cuts-
Let bleed freely to remove poison, as the rust from a nail, etc. Wash with some disinfectant, as dilutes formalin or formaldehyde. Apply carbolic acid. Apply formentations.

Freezing-
Keep away from the fire. Rub with snow or cold wet clothes until the circulation is re-established. If apparently dead, practice artifical respiration. Do not give up for several hours. If in danger of freezing keep moving. Rub the affected parts to keep up circulation.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 06:55 pm
Very Happy That's terrific, shewolf! And nice to know that we are all just part of a long line of folk determinably trying to control domestic bugs, afflictions & irrtitations!
I particularly like this one:

Bed bugs- Visit all thier haunts with a strong solution of corrosive sublimate ( poison ) . Apply with a feather. Use a medicine dropper or fountain pen filler in some places. Repeat at frequent intervals.

Now all I have to do it locate their haunts & they've jolly well had it! Very Happy

And this!:

Choking- To expel body from the thraot, go on hands and knees and cough. The person may be suspended by the heels, and his back percussed. Draw the tongue forward and seize the body with a pair of forceps or a hook ( may be the size of a hair pin ) If out of sight may be pressed down with the finger or a smooth long rod with a rounded end, while the head is thrown back ; or work down from outside by pressure.

Love it! Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:12 am
yeah, i can just see a 6foot tall man choking, hung upside down with someone slapping his back.

HAHAH!

ill type more later.
It is a bit interesting to say the least.
Carbolic acid and formaldehyde sound like a common household item then.. Confused
kinda scary you ask me..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:17 am
& I like this one, too:

Chimney on Fire-
Throw upon the fire in the stove or fireplace salt or sulpher.

Laughing

I'm sure that would do the trick nicely!

More please, shewolf, when you have the time.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:28 am
i can do some now
in fact, im going to run and take a picture of this little book

ill be right back..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:55 am
http://img496.imageshack.us/my.php?image=book3io.jpg

http://img496.imageshack.us/my.php?image=book13no.jpg

http://img496.imageshack.us/my.php?image=book26rh.jpg

http://img496.imageshack.us/my.php?image=book32wd.jpg

Cleaning various substances

Alabaster- Use strong soap and water

Black Silk, - Brush and wipe it thoroughly, lay on table with the side intended to show, up; sponge with hot coffee strained through muslin; when partly dry, iron

To remove stains and grease from oil pant-
Use Bisulphide of carbon, spirits of turpentine, or if dry and old use chloroform. These and tar spots can be softened with olive oil and lard.

Stains, iron rust, or ink from vellum or parchment-
Moisten spot with a solution of oxalic acid. Absorb same quickly by blotting paper or cloth

Rust from steel-
Take half ounce of emery powder mixed with one ounce of soap and rub.

Fruit spots from cotton-
Apply cold soap, then touch the spot with a hair pencil or feather dipped in chlorate of soda, then dip immediatley in cold water.

Grease from silks-
Take a lump of magnesia, rub it wet on the spot, let it dry, then brush the powder off.

Iron rust-
may be removed from white good with sour milk.

Scorch stains from white linen-
Lay in bright sun light.

Mildew-
Moisten the spot with clean ater; rub on it a thick coating of castile soap mixed with chalk scrapings; rub with end of finger, then wash off

Oil marks on wall paper-
Apply paste of cold water and pipe clay, leave it on all night, brush off in the morning.

Paint spots from clothing-
Saturate with equal parts turpentine and spirits of ammonia.

To cleanse house paper -
Rub with flannel cloth dipped in oatmeal.

Black cloth-
Mix one part of spirits of ammonia with three parts warm water, rub with sponge or dark cloth clean with water, rub with the nap.

Furniture or finger marks-
Rub with soft rag and sweet oil.

Chromos-
Go over lightly with a damp linen cloth.

Zinc-
Rub a piece of cotton cloth dipped in kerosene, afterwords with a dry cloth.

Hands from vegetable stains-
Rub with a slice of raw potato

Window glass-
Paint can be removed with strong solution of soda.

To clean tin wear-
Common soda applied with a moistened newspaper and polished with a dry piece will make it look like new.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:58 am
there is even this =

Your watch as a compass-
let your watch lie flat in your hand with the hour hand pointing toward the sun. The point on the circle half way between the hour hand and XII will be directly south in the northern hemisphere.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:42 am
Wow, is that a first edition? Thanks so much for all that, shewolf. I reckon a girl could fix just about anything by referring to that little book. I will consult whenever necessary! Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:44 am
I would consult it, but I dont have carbolic acid just... laying around. Laughing

In fact, I dont think it is legal anymore.
Thats some dangerous stuff..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:57 am
Hmm, I think one isn't supposed to get alabaster wet.. at least that was in the directions for a small gift vase a friend gave me.

Cleaning black silk with coffee, hmmm.

Neat book to have.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 08:30 am
It is quite interesting and full of other information as well.
Populations of cities, percentage of growth, someones personal bank diary, postage prices, money order guide lines..

I love it. Dont know why.. but I do.
Its kind of attached to me at the hip.
Many times I thought it gone, torn, or what have you... only to have it pop up in the strangest of places.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 12:35 am
(OK, let's try again!Smile

OK, here's a challenge!:

A successful home-made remedy (not a chemical bought one) for smelly runners.
I mean, you can't throw them in the washing machine every week, can you?

I have reasons for asking!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 12:36 am
I've been told that Bicarbonate of Soda works a treat.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 12:37 am
http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/spareroom/tip.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 12:38 am
Just a sprinkling, Ellpus?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 12:41 am
msolga wrote:

Yes, sorry...........it happens with age, they tell me.

How did you know?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 12:44 am
- Smelly shoes/trainers

Sprinkle a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda into each shoe, shake well to ensure the powder penetrates down to the toe and all over the inside of the shoe, and leave overnight - should do the trick.

Place a sheet of dryer fabric softener into shoes after wearing. A sheet is good for about one week.

Thanks, Ellpus! Will do!

Bicarbonate of Soda seems to be a cure for every domestic fix-it situation! I will buy some!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 12:45 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
msolga wrote:

Yes, sorry...........it happens with age, they tell me.

How did you know?

Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 05:39 am
The Bicarbonate of Soda seems to be doing the trick nicely, Ellpus. Thanks!

Now I'm trying to remember if there was some home remedy for hives somewhere earlier in this thread. Very humid & oppressive here at the moment!
0 Replies