Home remedies, concoctions, comforts & cures ...

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:23 am
Know any tried & true remedies? Let's put the chemist out of business & share! :wink:

...Say, for the treatment of:

headaches

upset stomach

acne

hives

head lice

oily skin & hair

dry skin & hair

tired eyes

dandruff

ant bites

flatulence

bad breath

etc, etc, etc ...

But most important of all, right this very minute: a home cure for lumpy, mosquito bite itches!!!!! Agghhhh! Shocked

~
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 18,018 • Replies: 226
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:28 am
Unfortunately I know little of these tried & true home remedies myself, so I won't be a font of wisdom here ... But hey, I'd like to learn what your grandmother told you! Even the ridiculous remedies. I'm here to learn! Especially about mosquito bites!Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:33 am
Mosquitoes (zat the correct spelling?) inject an anti-coagulant (i believe) in order to facilitate sucking up the blood. You just have to endure the itch. It is fun, though, if you can see them land on your forearm. As soon as they insert their "needle" into your arm, if you tense the muscles of the forearm, it'll draw their snout in, and trap them, allowing your to smash their nasty little butts. There are supposed to be some trace metals (copper?) in the blood stream which they don't like--but i'm not a reliable source for that. I do know that they aren't as fond of me as they are of others. I get "bit," but much less often than those around me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:35 am
I read once that rubbing olive oil into into your scalp & hair was a great treament for dry, lifeless hair ... but somehow the idea wasn't too appealing. How would you wash the stuff out completely?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:41 am
Setanta wrote:
Mosquitoes (zat the correct spelling?) inject an anti-coagulant (i believe) in order to facilitate sucking up the blood. You just have to endure the itch. It is fun, though, if you can see them land on your forearm. As soon as they insert their "needle" into your arm, if you tense the muscles of the forearm, it'll draw their snout in, and trap them, allowing your to smash their nasty little butts. There are supposed to be some trace metals (copper?) in the blood stream which they don't like--but i'm not a reliable source for that. I do know that they aren't as fond of me as they are of others. I get "bit," but much less often than those around me.

I have to endure the bite!? I've got to watch the little devils do their mischief in order to torture them back? Too late, Setanta, too late! They've done their evil & fled ... leaving me an itchy, scritchy mess! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:58 am
Re: Home remedies, concoctions, comforts & cures ...
msolga wrote:
Know any tried & true remedies? Let's put the chemist out of business & share! :wink:

...Say, for the treatment of:

headaches
upset stomach
acne
hives
head lice
oily skin & hair
dry skin & hair
tired eyes
dandruff
ant bites
flatulence
bad breath
etc, etc, etc ...

But most important of all, right this very minute: a home cure for lumpy, mosquito bite itches!!!!! Agghhhh!
~

Calamine lotion works well on mosquito bites as it dries the area out. Another option give it a little scratch and then apply hydrogen peroxide. Option number 3 scratch until bleeding makes you lightheaded at which point you pass out and the itch ceases to bother you Shocked

For acne the best methods other than that chemical compound a doctor gave me years ago, which only made my face bright red, would be to clean the face thoroughly two to three times daily then pat dry with clean white tissue. Use cucumber soap...it seems to help... also if an acne pimple has been popped, apply hydrogen peroxide. Calamine lotion also works for some on acne as it has a drying out effect. Another thing to do is cold water. It seems to help after washing the face entirely, give it a cold water rinse off and then dry with the plain white tissue. Also keep the face cool as mush as possible, do not allow sweat to build, thus clogging the pores.

Bad breath is often related to other matters in the gastrointestinal tract so there may be need to go further or it may be a problem with the teeth starting to rot or not being brushed. A cure for halitosis given to animals at times is chlorophyll tablets which can also be found for humans or just eat chlorophyll rich foods like parsley.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 06:10 am
Sturgis

Calamine lotion works for me for 5 minutes. Sad Hydrogen peroxide? I'll try that. Thanks. If all else fails I'll seriously consider your pass out solution! :wink:

Oh, you know a bit about these things, I see! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 06:14 am
Just remembered another one, from way back: clove oil (extract) is good for numbing toothache in an emergency ... till you can get to the dentist on Monday.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 06:28 am
Baking soda is very effective against ant bites and bee stings--their "toxin" is formic acid, and the baking soda (which is alkaline) neutralizes the acid.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 06:34 am
I must buy some baking soda, Setanta. It seems to be useful for so many things, like cleaning. But I didn't know it was also useful for bites & stings. Thanks.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:09 am
Meat tenderizer.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:14 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Meat tenderizer.

Yes? You have something to say about this matter, Ms Noddy? Laughing I'm all ears!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:20 pm
...That treatment for warts that we all heard about in childhood. They'd go if you just peed on them? I want to hear from anyone whose tried this remedy. Any success or was it just a childhood myth? ... & there was something about frogs & warts, but I've forgotten the details ..... Confused
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:43 pm
I was going to mention meat tenderizer... it will be interesting for me to hear what Noddy says. It is such an important nostrum for us that we carry it as part of our first aid kit. We shake a small amount of the powder into the palm of our hand, add a few drops of water and then dab that sludge directly onto any sting or bite. A similar technique was used with baking soda, but the meat tenderizer seemed to work best on a recent bite.

Our neighbor swore that fresh tobacco would also remove the itch and pain, again applied with a drop or two of water.

If if it were a jellyfish sting, we'd flood the painful area with fresh water, or jump in a pool of fresh water. (I dunno about the scarier jellyfish of Oz). Speaking of peeing on stuff -- do you remember the Friends comedy show where they used that technique for a jellyfish sting? LOL

We' also always have a few cloves in the general first aid kit. Easier to handle than clove oil, but works basically the same way for a toothache, crushing the clove into the painful tooth releases the oil.

Chewing a clove also covers up bad breath.

A wart is supposedly removed by being massaged twice daily (for several weeks) with a drop or two of castor oil. Perhaps the attention finally gets to it?

A packet or two of salt is handy to keep in the old first aid kit. Can be used for any manner of saline solutions -- with hot water for a throat gargle, with cool water for a nose rinse.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 12:02 am
Here ya go... each one covered! Wink

For the treatment of:

headaches -- nothing like aspirin, except Advil. Can also sip caffeinated drink, which opens (or is it closes?) the blood vessels in your brain.

upset stomach -- peppermint tea.

acne -- ? Individual pimples can be 'eradicted' by applying very hot water which is most effectively done with the "point" of a wash cloth. That may take several tries... don't burn yourself, but the water needs to be near boiling.

hives -- ??

head lice -- ?? There is an OTC product that includes a fine-tooth comb.

oily skin & hair -- ??

dry skin & hair -- Use less soap, cooler water when bathing. Any of several vegetable oils vs. mineral oil is good. My favorite is the Neutrogena product with sesame seed oil. It should be massaged into clean skin (& a small amount lightly massaged into your scalp as well). If my hands are really dry and I happen to be in the kitchen, I'll massage them with olive oil.

tired eyes -- tried and true -- very thin slices of cucumber laid on each eyelid and a few minutes of quiet time

dandruff -- ?? see dry skin technique.

ant bites -- ?? we don't get ant bites in the states but I'd try the meat tenderizer sludge

flatulence -- go outside! I dunno. Drink more water? Don't eat beans? LOL

bad breath -- chew a clove, brush your teeth and tongue, clean your sinuses with a mild salt water solution
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 05:42 am
Crikey, Piffka, you know them all! Surprised (apart from the peeing on warts by the light of a full moon, to make them vanish! :wink:)

Thanks!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 06:35 am
Coconut oil is best for dull lifeless hair - warm it up by inserting in a bowl of hot water and give yrself a good scalp massage with it. I normally do this twice every week and leave it on overnight.

Just dont do it when you have a hot date....
dagmaraka

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 06:44 am
head lice -- petroleum

wards - dandelions - apply the milk from the stem, ward will fall off within a week. that's a personally tried method, i had one on the palm of my hand.

flatulence - soda. anything with loads of bubbles.

oncoming cold - nearly boiling beer with loads of honey. disgusting but effective. jump in bed and sweat it out for an hour or two right after drinking the vile concoction. and, of course raw garlic, which is very tasty if crushed into honey. give it a try!

headache - i was shown in nagaland how to release pressure by pulling on a string of hair right where your headache is until you hear a pop. I can't do it myself, but I had it done and it does work! (or aspirin, or sex, the latter is preferrable methinks...)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 10:13 am
dagmaraka wrote:
head lice -- petroleum

wards - dandelions - apply the milk from the stem, ward will fall off within a week. that's a personally tried method, i had one on the palm of my hand.

flatulence - soda. anything with loads of bubbles.

oncoming cold - nearly boiling beer with loads of honey. disgusting but effective. jump in bed and sweat it out for an hour or two right after drinking the vile concoction. and, of course raw garlic, which is very tasty if crushed into honey. give it a try!

headache - i was shown in nagaland how to release pressure by pulling on a string of hair right where your headache is until you hear a pop. I can't do it myself, but I had it done and it does work! (or aspirin, or sex, the latter is preferrable methinks...)

Ewwww, Dagmaraka... beer and honey? How about whisky & honey...

Cool re the hair-pulling. I've used hair-pulling as a way to relax -- works with animals, too. (Another relaxation technique with horses, Olga, if you ever need it... grab a bit of their upper lip and gently waggle it. Wink MAYBE it would also work with peeps.)

Here's one you didn't ask about, Olga, but works to slow and/or stop the flow from a bloody nose -- there's a point inside your mouth just above your front teeth where you exert a steady acupressure. Maybe there's a blood vessel there?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 10:32 am
msolga wrote:

headaches~

divorce Laughing

a small dose of caffeine , usually a light tea, is a good help.

Quote:

upset stomach

chamomile tea.
About 2 - 3 table spoons of loose herb to 1 1/2 cup of water.

Quote:

acne

plain white toothpaste on already formed acne.
to prevent acne, I have HEARD.. uing a little touch of baking soda with your face soap helps to keep the skin dry and ward off oil build up.

Quote:

hives

calamine lotion, and home made oat meal baths.
about 3 cups of oats in a bath tub of warmer then body temp water.
Soak , then lightly scrub the areas with the oats from the water.

Quote:

head lice

Mayonnaise.
Completely coat the hair and scalp and let sit for an hour.
It drowns the living lice and leaves a film that doesnt allow the egg nits to stay on the hair shaft.

Quote:

oily skin & hair

again, i heard the baking soda in soap trick before.

Quote:

tired eyes

ice cold wash cloth.
Put a wash cloth in some water with several ice cubes.
Squeeze out the water and roll it up like a tortilla and lay across the bridge of your nose applying slight pressure just under the lower lid.
I think, you want to keep it in place for about 10 minutes.

--------

those are the ones I know about. ;-)
0 Replies