Home remedies, concoctions, comforts & cures ...

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 02:05 am
@msolga,
Aloe vera is a wonderful thing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 01:32 am
A really big ask - & most likely un-meetable - but is there such a thing as a non-super-poisonous deterrent for (shudder, shudder) cockroaches?
Since the temperature in my city has warmed up considerably (climate change!) they now think my kitchen is a very nice place to hang around in! Shocked
It may be quite irrational, but they really, really give me the creeps.
Any suggestions which don't involve big hits of nasty poisons?

Please?
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 01:56 am
@msolga,
I've heard of adhesive traps and an electric one (it would shock them to kill them) as non-toxic options, and there's also easy ways to trap them in things like a glass jar with water and coffee grounds.
msolga

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 02:20 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thank you, Robert! I have never heard of this "coffee ground solution" before. It is certainly worth a try. Not because of the cost factor, but because I hate the idea of using poisons when there could be a cleaner, healthier solution. Especially where people & animals live!:

Quote:
This is nothing but coffee grounds and a little bit of water, that's all that's in there, that's what Jim Snyder said to do, so this is a fantastic idea. I'm not a bug collector, but I'm happy to have them here rather than coming through my door into the house.

http://www.kvbc.com/global/story.asp?s=3630244
dupre

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 02:34 am
@msolga,
http://www.ent.iastate.edu/dept/research/tox/catnip.html

Catnip and osage oranges.

I'd heard of using rotten oranges to repel bugs, but can't find the source for that now...worth looking into though.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 02:39 am
@dupre,
Dupre!

I wonder if they have osage orange in Australia, though. Maybe. I know someone who has imported the wood from Brazil, straight pieces of osage orange having gotten quite rare in the US.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 02:44 am
@dupre,
Thank you, dupre!
I have never heard of osage before, but I certainly know about catnip! Hey, if Germain cockroaches can be repelled by plant oils, I can't see why Australian coackroaches wouldn't be! Time for some experimentation! Very Happy

Quote:
Folklore includes numerous claims that catnip and osage orange are repellent to insects and spiders. Results presented at the American Chemical Society National Meeting in New Orleans, LA, August 22-26, show that when given a choice between a surface treated with these plant oils and an untreated surface, German cockroaches spent much more time on the untreated surface. Graduate research assistant Chris Peterson observed the responses of the cockroaches. He said that "the roaches will venture onto the treated surface, stop, turn around and walk off onto the untreated surface."

http://www.ent.iastate.edu/dept/research/tox/catnip.html
msolga

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 02:52 am
@msolga,
Time to invest in another catnip plant, I think. (My old one died in the extreme heat.) But I'll definitely give the coffee grounds a go. No shortage in that area!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 05:33 am
@msolga,
Well, looks like I don't have a cockroach problem afterall! I have the harmless, dopey native black shining ones. (Unlike the nasty, disease-carrying German ones!) So, apparently I shouldn't worry too much, just put them outside to be useful in the garden. Hmmm ... any brilliant ideas on how to actually catch a cockroach & deposit it outside?:

Quote:
BIG, ugly cockroaches are invading Melbourne. The black bugs are breeding in suburban gardens thanks to the growing use of mulch to save water.

But before you panic, that intruder in your kitchen sink, bathroom or barbecue is probably a harmless native attracted to light or hunting moisture.

Pest controllers and Museum Victoria are reporting more roach sightings from freaked-out residents fearing their houses need fumigation.

But, unlike the nasty little German roaches that thrive on filth and food scraps, hide in the dark and carry disease, the common shining cockroach munches on organic matter and breaks down leaf litter.

Museum Victoria entomology expert Simon Hinkley said the large critters were migrating from the bush to suburbia and the CBD's edge as mulch was dumped on gardens.

"These ones seem quite stupid and don't run when they see you," Mr Hinkley said. "They are not as cluey as the pests that use the cover of darkness.

"If you can, try to return the natives outside rather than killing them because they help return nutrients to soil."

http:// www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,25212856-2862,00.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:42 pm
For the first time in this house, an ant problem! There to greet me in my kitchen this morning. Surprised Neutral

Anyone know of a good, effective, non-lethal ant repellent? Which can be used safely around humans & critter?
msolga

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:53 pm
@msolga,
.... it'd be great if it could be home-made, too.

Thank you.
djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:55 pm
@msolga,
borax and sugar

borax is not entirely unharmful, but it's relatively harmless
msolga

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:05 pm
@djjd62,
And sugar?

Really? Surprised

But wouldn't ants be attracted to sugar?

What sort of ratio of borax to sugar? Around 50/50?

Mixed to form a thickish paste?

djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:16 pm
@msolga,
50/50 works, when i've used it it was powdered, the sugar attracts the ants, and they take the sugar and borax back to the nest

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:19 pm
@djjd62,
Borax on a lawn can kill grass. Only in a small area.
djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
i was thinking house ants

never worried about outside ants, and didn't think about that
msolga

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:33 pm
@djjd62,
Thanks, edgar.
But yes, djjd, it's house ants.

Little devils liked the idea of a packet of dried cat food I hadn't sealed properly. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:39 pm
@djjd62,
Ah!

I see!
djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:00 pm
@msolga,
these little tin traps use a borax paste

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/3bb1f2cb-272d-46ea-99f8-860d973b490a_3.jpg
msolga

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:09 pm
@djjd62,
Right!

Looks like Borax is the go, djjd!

Thank you!
0 Replies