Home remedies, concoctions, comforts & cures ...

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 02:07 am
Well ..... um, just so/so, thanks for asking, G!
Mind you, I used only the shampoo & my regular conditioner. THAT could explain it! Laughing I'm trying to figure out when is a good time to do the coconut oil massage thing ..... Just before a shampoo & leave it in for an hour or so?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 02:10 am
Overnight !! massage it and go off to sleep - then next morning shampoo it off !
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 02:14 am
Right, then! That's what I'll do!

I'll report back later. Very Happy

Um, I don't suppose you'd need a conditioner after that, G?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:53 am
hmmm, where does one get pure coconut oil in vienna? these people here don't have a CVS type of a drugstore that would have everything. They have a cosmetics store, drugstore, paint store, everything separately. so, the cosmetics one, I suppose. no luck as of yet. but i'll be in boston soon for a week, may just get it then.

i've read new recipies in a slovak magazine this weekend. "Advice from grandma" it was cold. There I learned that to cure a sore throat one is supposed to put cottage cheese or cooked potatoes on one's throat, wrap it with a towel and leave overnight. Sounds weird to me, but some people swear by the potatoes at least - due to starch and slime that they produce... bonus: you can eat them for breakfast when you're done with the wrap.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 06:59 am
Any Indian grocery shops in Vienna, dag? That's where I got mine. In the "cosmetics" section.

I'm trying to imagine the scene in the bed, next morning, after sleeping with cottage cheese or cooked potato wrapped around my neck! Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:29 am
dagmaraka wrote:
... learned that to cure a sore throat one is supposed to put cottage cheese or cooked potatoes on one's throat, wrap it with a towel and leave overnight. Sounds weird to me, but some people swear by the potatoes at least - due to starch and slime that they produce... bonus: you can eat them for breakfast when you're done with the wrap.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww <shudder> Better to just not get sick.

Dag, couldn't you find Coconut Oil in a grocery store? I forget... was it for shiny hair?

I've been using Badedas gel. I LOVE that fragrance.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:04 am
Badedas? Hahahaha, sorry. It just reminds me of our open market, where Chinese and Vietnamese sell 'look-alike' brands of clothing and shoes. You can get 'Rebook', 'Kalvin Clein', 'Prado', 'Mike' or yes - my all time's favorite - 'Abibas'.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:45 am
Did I spell it wrong? I don't think it is a knock-off, but... who knows?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:48 am
http://www.thesoapbar.com/shop/badedas.html

Horse chestnut oil!!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:48 pm
Horse chestnuts prevent rheumatism. I carry one in my pocket for just this purpose.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:34 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Badedas? Hahahaha, sorry. It just reminds me of our open market, where Chinese and Vietnamese sell 'look-alike' brands of clothing and shoes. You can get 'Rebook', 'Kalvin Clein', 'Prado', 'Mike' or yes - my all time's favorite - 'Abibas'.

I still don't get it. Will you explain, please?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 04:14 am
Anyone have any tried & true homemade recipes for facial cleansers & moisturisers?(sp?) Like grandma used to make? Very Happy
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 04:46 am
Piffka, it's simple. Vietnamese make their own brand names that look a lot like the western ones except for a letter or two: so you can buy 'Rebook' instead of 'Reebok', 'Mike' instead of 'Nike', "Abibas" instead of "Adidas" - otherwise they look exactly the same, logo and all, and are one tenth of the price, if that. so if nike sneakers are around A$80 in the store, you can easily get "Mike" for $8 on the open market. Only shortcoming: they fall apart rather quickly...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 04:47 am
cleaning agents: diluted white vinegar, especially for wooden floors.

coca cola for unclogging drains, taking out stains... (scary, ain't it?)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:10 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Piffka, it's simple. Vietnamese make their own brand names that look a lot like the western ones except for a letter or two: so you can buy 'Rebook' instead of 'Reebok', 'Mike' instead of 'Nike', "Abibas" instead of "Adidas" - otherwise they look exactly the same, logo and all, and are one tenth of the price, if that. so if nike sneakers are around A$80 in the store, you can easily get "Mike" for $8 on the open market. Only shortcoming: they fall apart rather quickly...

Thanks, Dag. I've heard of this and have burned myself on eBay but... I thought you were saying that in response to my comment about Badedas. (Were you saying that it is a knock-off? Is it something only old ladies use? What??)

Coca-cola for removing clogs is gross. Reminds me of an old science project. Someone donates a tooth and it is put in a glass of coke. Every day the class pulls the tooth out to check its cavities. Doesn't take long. <akkk>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:17 am
Creepy thing re science class and the tooth and the coca cola...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:57 am
Oh, it was in response to Badedas. ;-) I never heard of it, but it just sounded like it could be one of those fake namesakes for Adidas, that's all. Sorry, I always assume my thought processes are crystal clear and self-evident.... only to find out the next day that i don't remember why i thought this and that.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:00 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Oh, it was in response to Badedas. ;-) I never heard of it, but it just sounded like it could be one of those fake namesakes for Adidas, that's all. Sorry, I always assume my thought processes are crystal clear and self-evident.... only to find out the next day that i don't remember why i thought this and that.

Ahhh. Well, thanks, that makes perfect sense. Adidas Badedas... Wink I am surprised you haven't heard of the Badedas since it claims to be very famous. Rolling Eyes I still suspect it is only used by little old ladies in Europe.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:32 am
Ant bites: According to a book I have on home remedies, you can actually use a blob of dirt pressed and held on to ant bites.

I was out in the country with my boyfriend. We had been waiting for hours outside a relative's house for them to come home. (They weren't expecting us and we had nowhere to go wait in the area.)

I got attacked by ants with about twenty ant bites on my ankle. I'm getting highly allergic due to too many of those and too many mosqitoe bites.

Without any other choices at hand, I asked my boyfriend to get a blob of dirt and press it on my bites.

He reached into a potted plant and pulled out some prime soil and pressed it to my bites.

Within about two minutes the swelling on each bite was down to a pin dot and there was no more stinging or itching.

I was and still am amazed!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 02:30 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Creepy thing re science class and the tooth and the coca cola...

I remember that, osso! Laughing

Thinking: Is there such a thing as a homemade toothpaste, I wonder?
0 Replies