Husband hospitalized for Intestinal Infection

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:54 pm
Mms--

Your Good Ol' Boy is making a super big deal about his Medical Condition because he hurt so much he was sure he was going to die--and he's scared to death of dying. Even if he's not dying, he's not pleased that his body--starting with his digestive system--is wearing out.

Has he ever been in great pain before? Hospitalized without scheduling the event? He's feeling his age--and he doesn't like it.

Unfortunately this probably is not the time to remark that the Goddess will receive him more kindly into heaven if he does his share of the housework on earth.

Have you suggested that you hire someone to help with the heavy cleaning?

Grim Reality Time: If you can't change him, you're going to have to change yourself. Lower your standards for housekeeping. Accept that your husband takes after his mother.

As for "Medical Condition....Medical Condition....Medical Condition". Keep count every day of the number of times he says, "Medical Condition". After fifty repetitions, treat yourself to something special--or put a bit of money aside for a real fancy casket to bury him in style.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 07:11 pm
Noddy, I had to giggle out loud over your posting.

To answer your questions...Yep..makes sense. He thought he was dying, I'm sure. Proud that he's not...

Nope..never been in great pain before..except 5 years ago, when he was diagnosed with IBS. This was his first hospital stay EVER...so he was a big baby.

Here lately, I have lowered my standards of house keeping. Awww, you oughta see it, I would absolutely pass out if someone come to visit. I'd have to stop them at the door. I said the "hell with it", about two days ago. And these lil men can wreck havoc on things. There is clean clothes in my bedroom on the end of my bed...I kicked them out of my way last night. There is blankets in my living room floor from my kids. And there is a few dirty dishes in my sink. Its not a large place, so therefore it looks like a bomb went off. (Sigh) I soppose it will still be there tommorrow.

Tonight, I requested we go to the lease and roast hot dogs for supper. We did...spent about 4 hours up there, watched the sun go down...had a fire...and enjoyed the peace and quiet. It was nice...even took photos of my boys playing. (Nice)

And the Grim reality is..I will never change him. I know that. I should have already given up years ago and settled with it. But I'm stubborn, persistent, and down right hard to get along with at times...lol.

Lord Ellpus...your right with your statement also. At times, he does do "his fair share"...but its seldom. He goes through spells with it. And when he does his fair share, I'm very appreciative of it...its just when he doesn't do his fair share..that I get upset. I usually suffer in silence......."usually".

But your right...I think of it as my job...and I do think of it as him helping out...when he does help. It took me a long time to get it through his head that when he kept the boys, that he wasn't "babysitting'. LOL Might take a long time to get it through my head that its just as much his place to tend to things as it is mine.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:09 am
Mms--

What can't be cured must be endured.

Your family cookout and sunset sound like great therapy.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:05 pm
Humm, if I don't feel like a bitch this afternoon. All my fussin' about Mr.Shivers and his "medical condition" are going to come back to haunt me.

His doctor finally called him over the results of his CT Scan he was given last Tuesday. Seems Mr.Shivers has been scheduled for surgery next Wednesday ( 24th), with a 5-7 day stay afterwards, along with a few more weeks off from work.

He's scared. I could hear it in his voice when he called me to inform me of what was up. It makes my heart hurt to have him upset like that. (sigh)

So..here we go again....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:43 pm
Awww, your fussin' didn't cause this and was appropriate given that he was healing. Hugs to both of you. Will be thinking of you on Wednesday... but wait, Wed isn't the 24th, it's the 26th. Will be thinking about you guys then.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:54 pm
Mms--

Sometimes life is one damn thing after another.

As Osso says, your fussin' didn't cause the surgery--and now you have your fussin' over and done with.

Five to seven days in the hospital....you can pick him up on Halloween dressed as either a nurse or an angel. He'll be very glad to see you.

At least you had your Ladies' Night Out.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 04:40 pm
Thank you both....

I know my fussin' didn't cause this...it just kinda makes ya feel guilty... my refering to him as an "invalid" and then turns out..he's not healing as well as I'd hoped.

Yes, atleast I did have the Ladies Night out...will probably be ready for another one after this is over with.

Thank you....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 05:37 pm
Mss--

Let us know how the next week goes. If he's nervous now, he's going to be more nervous by O-Day. Will you have that long drive for visiting hours?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 05:14 pm
Yep...I'll have that same long drive everyday...

I am planning on leaving my kids with their Aunt, and if I'm able, I'm spending the first night with him...and the next day..then coming home. I'll just have to go back and forth...I won't leave my kids, and besides they will want to see their dad...

But I have taken off for 10 days from work, and we'll manage somehow......

And yes, he's very nervous. I could tell today that its getting to him...he was following me around at work like a lost pup. He's never shown much attacthment to me.......but the last few days, he's showin' it. .........that nerves.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 05:44 pm
Count on a good six weeks of recovery time after abdominal surgery. Will this be exploratory surgery or does the surgeon have a clear plan of attack?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 05:53 pm
From what I know at the moment..its a clear plan of attack.

Its one of two ways...

He comes home with a colonostomy bag (sp?) which is temporary....depending on how much infection?

Or they are able to sew the colon back together after they take out what it is they take out?

I'm praying for the latter part.......I can't see him handling the bag well....at all.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 06:17 pm
I agree. A colostomy bag is very undignified and your husband treasures his dignity.

From what I've heard, changing the bags isn't nearly as unpleasant as cleaning up after diarrhea or a really messy drunk.

All the same, a colostomy bag means a second operation--and there goes the holiday season.

You're a survivor and you'll get through this mess without inflicting grevious bodily harm on anyone (except perhaps yourself).

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:27 pm
Noddy..have I told ya, I loved you...lol

Yes, he treasures his dignity..and I see him becoming somewhat of a hermit, if he's stuck with that bag, so if it comes down to that, I hope its short-term....

But he's surprised me before, and may take it with stride. But I doubt it....

I appreciate your words........
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:33 pm
I'd lost track of this in the last week or so, just saw the stuff about surgery. One damn thing after another, indeed. Take care. (Of yourself, too!)
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:13 pm
Thank you Sozobe....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:26 am
Mms--

I'm running away from home and will be back on Sunday in good shape to sit and dither for you.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 01:04 pm
Well, I'm back...

Actually, I'm sitting in the hospital room as we speak, or should I say...I type....lol

Surgery, well.....didn't think it would ever get overwith...he was scheduled for 9 and he finally went in at 1...didn't get a room till 9 last night.

The surgery went GREAT! He was in quite a shape, but Dr...was able to sew it back together. He took out about 14 inches of colon, found where there was a perforation with an abcess, scraped all that out and he's lying here sleeping like a baby with all the lovely tubes hanging out of him. But he done well.........

He'll be here for another week....and so will I...lol
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 01:13 pm
Thanks for the update, mms..

what a day for you two!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 02:20 pm
Back in town, and catching up.

Take care of yourself and all of your fellas, MMS.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 02:25 pm
you get internet in the hospital?
0 Replies