Husband hospitalized for Intestinal Infection

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:31 pm
And, Ellpus, sorry you had to endure that!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:33 pm
Thanks, littlek....sh*t happens, but I now have an aversion to anything "hospitally" if that is a word.

MMS....Just a quick thing about the antibiotic situation. Administering the antibiotics via a drip is by far the most effective way of knocking out any infection. They can normally tell whether this has been succesful by looking at his temperature. Once this has come down to normal for a period of time, he should be released with a stock of oral antibiotics, to take for a period of time in order to ensure that the little blighters have been thoroughly exterminated.

I was on anti's called Metronidazole (may be a different name in the States) which can be, and normally are, taken for a long period of time (six weeks in my case, if I remember correctly).

These will not only kill the bad bugs, but will also knock out the colony of good bugs that we have in our systems, which aid with digestion.
He will need to have "live" (or pro biotic as it is also known) yoghurts frequently, which will aid the re-establishment of the good guys.

Don't worry about surgery too much at this stage, as hopefully you should be OK with dietary control.

It is surprising how common this sort of thing is, really.

Bloody painful, all the same.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:37 pm
mms--

Frustrating! A day devoted to answers resulting in "maybe".

I'm sure that man is braver and sweeter to his nurses than he is to you.
Most men are.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:39 pm
MMS
thoughts and prayers are with you and your mister, listen to LE - he's 100% on track.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:40 pm
Quote:
Metronidazole
I have this in my possession everytime I go to Mexico - have used it also - but not with my current health issues.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 11:00 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
mms--

Frustrating! A day devoted to answers resulting in "maybe".

I'm sure that man is braver and sweeter to his nurses than he is to you.
Most men are.

Hold your dominion.

MY nurses have been to places that my wife wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

I still instinctively flinch when I see a rubber glove.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:10 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I still instinctively flinch when I see a rubber glove.

Not the reaction one might expect of the Lord....
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:26 am
MMS ~ My thoughts and very best wishes are with your hubby and you that he makes a full and healthy recovery. We went through this same thing with my former mother in law many years back and although she did have to have a temporary colostomy for six months, she recovered beautifully! Keep the faith, pretty woman!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:39 am
pfft, ellpus winning a prize... just because you had one! i could have guessed it if i had had one!

glad that the bugger is well though and my bestest wishes to your hubby, mms. speedy recovery. hope they let him go home soon. whaddya know, maybe he'll quit smoking...
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:14 pm
Thank you EACH and EVERYONE of YOU for the sweet thoughts and wonderful advice!!! I hope you all know its deeply appreciated!

Little update for today:

He calls me early this morning...pissy! He wants me at the hospital as soon as possible!! OK. So, I get up there and he's mad at the world. The beast in him has come out of hiding and I couldn't help it, I actually giggled at him. They have gone and given him another room mate. One of which....didn't please him non to much. His "roomie"..was wrapped up like a mummy on his bed. I'm not kiddin'..from head to toe wrapped up...all you could see was his nose! And every few minutes he would..er..umm, FART..(LMAO) My husband "N" would look over at me and whisper in a low growl.."CAN YOU SMELL THAT?" (lil giggle)

"No..I can't smell anything, because I'm now sick with another sinus infection and every hole in my head is dripping some GOD FORESAKEN FLUID!"

He'd just growl.

Doctor comes in and this is where I get to see the side of him that I don't like....(he has the utmost respect for doctors, but in this case and situation..it was a little different)

He does this lil finger move and motions him very close...and starts growling to the DR. about the nurses. ""That its nothing but a three ring circus on the floor at night, and there is no sleep to be had for them running up and down the hallways lauging and giggling. And everytime he shuts his eyes, one steps into the room to move him around. That he wants TRANSFERRED to another hospital for lack of care! ""

And then its..."I have to deal with the same thing at work, people don't want to do their jobs, they put it off on someone else, etc, etc."

(He's a tool and die man...supervisor & has to deal with the union)

(Ya'll now see what I have to put up with...lol)

THEN.........THIS IS WHAT HE SAYS: "There's one poor nurse that has all the work on her, she's run like a dog to get it all done. The REST...couldn't pour piss out of a boot without reading the directions on the heel first!"

OKKKKKKKK................I thought I was blunt and opinionated!

I have to admit, that from what I witnessed today, he's right. The "Mummy" in the bed next to him laid there and bleed for over an hour before someone realized it. He soiled his bed and gown. When they discovered him bleeding, it then took another 30 minutes or so for them to get back around to dressing it. Then to top that off...this "Mummy" had recieved kidney dialysis and was quit doped up. He wanted to go to the restroom and they got the wobbly "mummy" to the potty and left him in there. He went to hollering for the nurse and half naked he come out of the potty. I stopped him where he was and told him not to move...not to count, this "Mummy" is one eyed and doped up'd...so I got him to stay put till I could find someone to help him. (bless his heart)

Ok..so back to him...

After his lil talk with the Doctor, the doctor decides that he's pretty serious about wanting to go home...not to count, we mentioned that we have asked repeatedly for a private room and still two days later, he's not in one. (He called when I got home and is now in a private room) So...the Doctor decided to have his IV taken out, and let him try to eat tonight, if all goes well, he can come home tommorrow!

So...we have discussed diet and know that there are going to be major changes in that area of ALL OUR LIVES. THank GOD...because he's one of those MEAT, POTATOE and BREAD MEN. I've begged for years for him to try to eat this or that, and he wouldn't ever do it. Now he has no choice...or its SUFFER!

Well see how this goes..if he keeps up with it, I'll be surprised.

And yes, maybe he'll quit smoking. The sad part is...lol, I'll either have to quit with him or go outside. I'd rather just quit.....I honestly don't like it myself, its a bad habit that was picked up....I didn't start smoking till I was 29. (dumb)

Maybe tommorrow will be a better day.......I'm hoping!~
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:29 pm
Oh my..... Your man is quite a character! I'm giggling just thinking about it. Poor mummy.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:01 pm
Aww yeah...we make quite the pair...lmao

And I have to say this...of course, being who I am, I can't keep my mouth shut....

I want to tell him so badly...(OHHH and I WILL) ..that these women are being paid to take care of him and look how they have treated him. (LOL) I am not being paid to take care of you and look how you treat me!!! (sumthin' wrong with this picture?) That either I want a damned raise in pay, or I'm going on strike!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:06 pm
I do have to add this..

I much happier now with having a name to this problem. Knowing what to encounter with it and knowing what to have to do to avoid this problem in the future.

And...with me being so upset at the start of the week, I feeeeeelll so much better now about the situation and hoping that I can sleep tonight.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:14 pm
Good...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:19 pm
I'm thinking that the bourbon will help you sleep <grin>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:08 pm
Mms--

Blessing for the Modern Bride: May all your troubles be under one roof.

I do not envy you, weaning Mr. Shiver from his four basic food groups: fat, nicotine, potato and powerful personal authority.

At least you have a name for the problem and you know what the doctor said and why he said it.

You will not have to drive 90 miles to be a Good Wife. (Of course, you could use that time to contemplate your own needs...)

Sleep well. Tomorrow is another challenge.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:47 pm
Glad you feel much better Mms and hope you sleep much better...nighty night.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:38 pm
Again...Thanks to each one of you.

He's HOME!!

He's smoke free and caffiene free....so far. I hope it last.

I have a little update on the one-eyed mummy. WEll...it seems that Mr. Mummy...who was left lying in the bed next to "N" bleeding for too long for an extensive period of time, is a free bleeder. By the time we left the hospital, he was recieving a unit of blood...and as of this afternoon, he was being placed into surgery to repair the arteries in his arm.

Now...I don't remember if I mentioned it yesterday or not, but they did get Mr.Mummy up to take to the potty, in the time they led him to the bathroom, he kept bumping into everything in the room. The nurses made the comment about him still being groggy from all the drugs. WEll...........then they left him in the bathroom alone?? Come to find out...Mr.Mummy is blind! The nurses didn't know it at that moment.

I found out from his wife this morning after I arrived.

Bless his heart!

Husband: WEll...he's doing just fine, were going to have to watch his diet and enforce it to keep it from flaring up again. In the meantime, he's on two different antibiotics. I'm thinking that he's going to be introduced to yogurt..lol, in the morning...along with his bran flakes. LOL

Cheers!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:41 pm
Lots and lots of yogurt. Make sure it has live cultures/bacteria in it! Glad to hear he's home! And smoke free!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:43 pm
Quote:
I do not envy you, weaning Mr. Shiver from his four basic food groups: fat, nicotine, potato and powerful personal authority.

No doubt Noddy...he's going to be a handful to say the least.
0 Replies