Husband hospitalized for Intestinal Infection

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:47 pm
But, no more 90 minute drives to the hospital and back.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:18 pm
Thank you Little K....

Yea...no more 90 minute drives......YIPPEE.

I'm proud of that for more than one reason. It seems my whimsey got the best of me about three weeks ago, when I come home from going to make my Jeep Payment..lol, seems I got a wild hair and traded my Jeep off and bought me a Purdy Black Tahoe 4x4...

WHAT WAS I THINKIN'........apparently I wasn't! I have spent approx, 150.00 on gas alone this week, going back and forth. I've put 800 miles on it....since Sunday.

SO...yes.......I'm so proud thats over!!!! So proud thats over..."Bangin' head on the table!"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:39 pm
Ooooohhh... so... how about a nice forester?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:43 pm
And extreme sympathy to mr. mummy here.
I cry for him.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:50 pm
smm--

I wish you luck with your man.

You know damn well that if you stop smoking that you'll still be on High Moral Ground.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:27 pm
Well...."N" is not having such a wonderful time since his transition from hospital to home.

He broke out in an awful sweat last night, soaked the bed sheets, he was miserable. Then his trip to the lil boys room, resulted in a near passing out. He has endured some pain today, from the results of...Were not sure what??

He's scared to try to eat anything. I fixed a pot of chicken and vegetable soup, and tried to get him to eat some broth...didn't work.

He's going to have to eat something...in the past week, he's had a very small amount of food. At some point....HE'S GOING TO HAVE TO EAT!

I have gotten apple juice down him...and thats been about it.

Got any suggestions?

Ohhhh, and even though I'm kinda pissy about the fact, I have cleaned out all the ashtrays from the house...and been a good girl and have gone outside. Which I resent to NO END! (I'm going to quit too...just going to have to do it at my own pace) I've smoked three today...and thats been it. If we don't kill one another from this...I'll live to be amazed! And why am I resentful? LONG STORY...but I AM!

"Smiling through GRITTED TEETH!"
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:35 pm
Did they send him home with any diet restrictions? Try jello, or popsicles to start. Maybe some apple sauce. Get some gatorade for fluids replacement.

I'm sure he'll want to start out with soft foods. Scrambled eggs might sound good to him. Probable best done in a microwave so aren't oily or buttery. Or, cream of wheat, oatmeal, that kind of thing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 02:08 pm
mms--

Gastric patients are know for approaching all food with a suspicious, distrustful, paranoid attitude.

This is not fun for the cook. You have my sympathy and my mother's sympathy and my grandmother's sympathy and I'm sure that Eve sat there nursing Abel while Cain played on the floor and Adam complained about his belly ache.

Did the hospital give you a diet sheet?

Have you tried fixing teeny-tiny snack meals? Soup in custard cups? Half a custard cup of applesauce? Two teaspoons of pudding?

How about melt-in-the-mouth candy? Dry toast with the crusts cut off?

Quote:
"Smiling through GRITTED TEETH!"

Meanwhile, after a week that was not the most joyous of your life, you're cutting back on cigarettes and smoking outside and being an audience for Suddenly Inactive Invalid.

Your heavenly crown just got six more rubies and a Barbie Kewpie Doll.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 02:47 pm
makemeshiver33 wrote:
Well...."N" is not having such a wonderful time since his transition from hospital to home.

He broke out in an awful sweat last night, soaked the bed sheets, he was miserable. Then his trip to the lil boys room, resulted in a near passing out. He has endured some pain today, from the results of...Were not sure what??

quote]

MMS....this sounds like he still has some sort of infection. Monitor his temperature regularly (it's common for it to "spike" at night) and DEFINITELY make sure he is taking his antibiotics as regular as clockwork, as missing out a few here and there may give the nasties a chance to regroup.

I could only face comfort food for a while, but then again, mine was not Diverticulitis, so it's best to talk to someone qualified (there must be a support group somewhere....great for tips...try googling, or asking local doctor etc).

If his temperature is regularly high for a period of days, it may be that he needs to go back on a drip feed for antibiotics.

If he has been given metronidazole, he needs to line the stomach when he takes them. I would imagine that he is allowed milk....a good glass full with each tablet session is a good idea.

Watch that temperature though........

Good luck.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 03:19 pm
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 03:42 pm
.....and another......

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec09/ch128/ch128c.html
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 03:52 pm
Humm...nope, no diet sheet. Go figure......

To J_B: yep...offered the invalid scrambled eggs this morning, he's wanting applesauce this afternoon and maybe a popsicle, so I have some hope in the eating department. Not that him doing without a few meals with hurt his figure any, lol...but he's no longer on an IV. So back to the grocery store I go ...AGAIN.

Noddy: I'm going to look glorious with all those rubies. LOL, Still smiling through gritted teeth at this moment. Its hot outside. But atleast he did give me a thank you for my effort. Thats a first! I did however have to growl at him and tell him.."YOU maybe happy, but I'm not! BTW, Your WELCOME." LOL

Dear ole Lord Ellpus: I'm keeping a check on his temp. I'm sure still has the infection going on...at any rate, the first sign of needing to go back to the hospital, were on our way.

He was on metronidazole and still on it, along with Levaquin. He's also a sufferer of Irritable Bowell Syndrome. Milk doesn't do his body good, but he still drinks it, then suffers.

My Crown is going to be VERY HEAVY! LOL
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:04 pm
Mms--

As soon as you accomplish this crisis, you're going to be awarded two crown-bearers because the weight of your glory is too much for even the Best of Women.

Were some of Lord Ellpus's sites helpful on diet?

Could Mr. Shiver stand to lose a few pounds or is he thin enough already?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:27 pm
Ohh yes...Lord Ellpus's sites have been very helpful. And very appreciated.

Yes, Mr. Shivers could stand to loose a few pounds..but not too many. If I had to guess, probably..maybe...umm 20 to 25 pounds, in my opinion. He's of stocky build, robust chest...or what I call barrell chested...but carries his weight well.

He's only increased his size of clothing one size since we have been married. So..he looks the same to me, body wise, as he did when we were married.

Isn't he the lucky one? lol
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:38 pm
I'm guessing he's got more muscle than fat?

You have a daughter, right? Suppose with her own two lily white hands she made Daddy Jello-With-Love? Would that tempt him?

How about trying choices: Apple juice or V-8? Plain applesauce or chunky applesauce? Grape popsicle or orange popsicle?

There's always Ensure--vile stuff, but if he'll eat it, PM me. I have a site which sells by the case at wholesale prices which is much cheaper.

What about fruit? Peaches? Bananas? Plums?

Is his mother close enough to cook? Mommie's cooking can work wonders.

I'm on your side--you know your way around a kitchen and not matter what he thinks right now, your cooking is fantastic.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 06:59 pm
Thanks Noddy...so much!

Two boys..the lil one broke his heart the other day. "D" whispered when he come through the door after school the other day.."Please tell me my daddy's home?" They have nursed him...

We have the apple juice stocked up and we have applesauce and popsicles. lol He has eaten popsicles, but let me tell ya...he's been leary of all food!

TY, He'd soon die of starvation, stubborn man...before I'd get him to drink ensure.

On my 3rd or 4th trip to the grocery store, I got the peaches and pears. They are now chilling in the fridge. He's actually eating them...

And I did get him to eat scrambled eggs today for lunch, with one piece of toast w/o the crust.

He's part muscle, part fat. The fat resides in the belly area...it wouldn't kill him to loose that. But the rest of him is in good shape...lol
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 07:16 pm
Belly area fat is historically not good... best to lose it.

I visited some a2k friends and dog and housesitted earlier this year, and one of the pleasures of my stay was discovering in their freezer...

frozen grapes.

Let me say that has never occurred to me.

I tried one.

Really really really good. (I guess they need to be sweet to start with, but these were.)
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 07:29 pm
My Crazy sister kept frozen grapes and frozen bananas in the freezer. She swore by them...

Me...can't do either fruit.

Him...he wouldn't eat them either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 07:56 pm
To get serious here, mms, your hub is going to need a fairly big diet change, and your wits to make it all delicious.

There are probably diverticulitis diets online, via google or yahoo, whatever. The trick is to make them wonderful without adding the no-nos.

On the other hand, knowing all that could be useful for you as a cook, even with a future health restaurant business.

In the meantime, I foresee you both being greatly aggravated.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 08:54 pm
Mms--

I take it he's not liberated enough to eat Jello prepared by a man child?

He'll lose the fat before he loses the muscle--and since he has the fat, he won't be starving to death.

How long will the rains last? At least he's starting to eat. Did the doctor say when he could go back to work? Or are the two of you looking at Invalid Time of Unspecified Duration?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies