Husband hospitalized for Intestinal Infection

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:57 pm
I'm at a loss here.

Friday he got up early that morning to go to work, felt sick, had some stomach irritation. He went on to work to come home early. He laid around and tried to eat, but couldn't. Had some fever.

Sat...he was the same, by now, he couldn't walk without pain, couldn't touch him without pain. Stubborn man, wouldn't go to the hospital, or try to do anything but doctor himself for the fever.

Sun.....He decided it was time to take him to the ER.

Results: Being taken by ambulance from Arkadelphia to Little Rock. He was told after 3 test that he had an intestinal infection and might possibly have a tear in one of his intestines.

Its been since yesterday and I still don't have a clue whats going on. I am having to drive about 90 miles to the hospital and deal with the kids, so I missed his doctor this morning. Am planning on being there earlier in the morning to see whats going on. They have him on a morphine drip right now and ice chips only.

The Dr. told him that they would probably take out part of his colon and the tract of intestine that was infected with the tear.

My question is this: Do anyone of you know anything about this? They called it ...and I'm going to have to pronounce it ...."Ry-O-Mi-Tic-U-lit-us"
What all does it detail?

I'm not going to lie, I'm scared to death and haven't slept much in the past few days...especially since they are now talking surgery. It brings up too many memories of my father. (long story there)

I know intestinal infections can be dangerous....and I don't like the looks of whats going on with this one.

Thanks..........
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,522 • Replies: 138
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 10:45 pm
I don't like any part of this. I'm surprised he's not also on an antibiotic drip.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 11:02 pm
mms, I asked my wife, a RN, but she hasn't heard of "ryomiticulitus." Are you sure it's not Chrone's disease?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 11:22 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
mms, I asked my wife, a RN, but she hasn't heard of "ryomiticulitus." Are you sure it's not Chrone's disease?

.......or Diverticulitis?

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diverticulosis/
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:09 am
Can you get the doctor on the phone to have him/her explain to you?

If not available, the RN?

Someone in the office should be able to tell you how to get more info.

This is a time to put yourself out there and let everyone know you are a member of this team, and need more info.

Good Luck, I am sending positive vibes your way.

Keep us informed!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:12 am
Hugs, mms...

Agreed with Chai Tea about getting more info, even if not in person.

Will keep both of you in my thoughts...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:16 am
I'm sorry to hear about this MMS. Agree with others who say to call the doctor if you can't meet him at the hospital. And ask question after question. I don't like the idea of removing anything unless it's absolutely necessary, but of course, it's not me or my husband.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:00 am
Mms--

Sometimes life is just one damn thing after another.

Is your husband in the ICU? If he's waiting for surgery in a surgical ward, the prognosis is not as serious as it might be.

Have you talked to the nurses at the nursing station? Depending on hospital policy, they may be able to give you information--with footnotes.
In any case, be sure that they know you're 90 miles away with children at home who must be supervised.

A neighbor recently had surgery to repair a hernia. He is severely overweight--obese, in fact--and when the surgeon tucked the instestines back in the beer belly, one was "pinched" and eventually ruptured.

The result was very messy (like being gut shot) but within a week he was out of the hospital and ignoring the doctor's orders about not lifting more than 20 pounds until his incision healed.

The fact that your husband was transferred to a major hospital is a sign that his ailment is being taken Very Seriously. I'm not putting down the City of Little Rock, but I'd guess that the local surgeons have considerable experience with messy pelvic wounds inflicted by guns and knives and brute force.

Take care of yourself--remember, you're only one woman and everyone is depending on you.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 11:52 am
oops duplicate post...
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 11:53 am
are you sure it isn't colitis?

Colitis is an acute or chronic inflammation of the membrane lining the large bowel. People with colitis may have abdominal pain, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, painful spasms (tenesmus), lack of appetite, fever, and fatigue.

Infectious colitis: A variety of "bugs" may cause colitis, including these:

Bacteria: Commonly found in food or contaminated water, bacteria may produce toxins that trigger intestinal cells to secrete salt and water and interfere with their normal functions. Salmonella, Shigella species, Campylobacter jejuni, and Clostridium are examples of bacteria associated with infectious colitis.

Viruses: Those such as rotavirus or Norwalk can damage the mucous membrane lining your intestine and disturb fluid absorption.

Protozoa: People infected with protozoa such as Entamoeba histolytica may show no symptoms (carrier state), or they may have chronic, mild, loose, bowel movements or acute severe dysentery.

These "bugs" have developed a variety of ways to overcome our natural defenses and ultimately cause colitis.

i found this on...http://www.emedicine.com/aaem/topic120.htm

best of luck to you, i will keep you in my thoughts...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 12:40 pm
I was thinking along the same lines as dragon; colitis. The doctor would be able to diagnose colitis very quickly.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 12:45 pm
From the pronounciation I'm thinking the same as Elpus

Here's a link with good info on diverticulitis

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diverticulosis/
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 01:46 pm
colitis it must be. there are all kinds: lymphotic, collagenous, colitis with rheumatic symptoms (that sounds similar: rheumatic colitis...doesn't it?)

whatever it is, it positively sucks! poor mms! hang in there!
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 01:54 pm
dag i think you are onto something...

mms-take care, i am thinking of ya. big hugs!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 01:58 pm
BTW, my doctor scheduled me for a ultrasound intestine check last week. I'm not sure why my doctor was concerned, but I was given a clean bill of health. I'm supposed to get a written report within a few days.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 02:08 pm
MMS my thoughts are with you and your family. I hope that you receive some upbeat news about his condition today.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 05:59 pm
Sounds like Dag nailed the translation. I agree with the rest here who say call the doc in the a.m. The lack of communication here is atrocious. Good luck to you and your husband, Shiver.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:23 pm
Ok...Lord Ellpus was the winner here...with "Diverticulitis".

Ok, I got to see the Doctor today, still didn't get much of an answer. He's sopposed to be in there for a "few" more days. ??? How many is that??

He is on an Antibiotic drip...and morphine drip.

The Doctor told me..."He'll be on that for a few more days till we can get him on an oral antibiotic. As long as he doesn't have any flare ups, we won't do surgery".

Ok..thats great.

BUT..he also stated that, "he could have a flareup before he leaves the hospital, if so..we are going to take out part of his Colon." " He could go home and not have a flare up for a month, but once he does, we will schedule him for surgery and take out that part that is the problem".

Now, not that I want him to have surgery...but why not go ahead and take out that part that is the problem and lets be done with this? If anyone of you could have seen this man on Sunday, I'm sure you'd feel the same way. You couldn't touch him, he was in severe pain, unbearable. He's not one to act like that, but he was absolutely wanting to scream when they done the exam. So..why wait for it to flare again?

So...its been a day today. This hospital is completely packed, its one in and one out. Its one of the best in the state....BUT, bless these womens hearts that were workin'...he called for his IV to be unhooked long enough to take a bath, and it took them three hours. They finally decided to let him have some apple juice and that took two hours to get. The lady that unhooked his IV for his shower, messed up the IV and it had to be replaced a few hours later, when his arm swelled up and a red streak run up under his armpit. And this man is doing all he can do, he's been without a cigarette for three days, no caffiene and no food. He's givin' looks that could kill...and I'm pattin' on him tellin' him..."Whoa Big Dog....back it down"..."Wanna nicotine patch?" But he's being bearable...surprisingly.

I'll just be glad when its over...........
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:07 pm
Do I win a prize?.......No, seriously, I'm glad that's all it is, and that he will not have surgery.

I say this with a bit of authority on the subject, having gone through it (surgery) myself. I won't go into details in public, but feel free to PM me if you have any future queries.

That type of pain is a bugger, so I sympathise with your hubby.

Read up all you can about diet. Fibre plays an important part, but watch out for gluten. There are plenty of websites out there, and the Hospital dietician (if there is one there) is normally a wonderful source of ideas for future "menus".

Also, do a bit of research re. Omega3 fish oil, in relation to Diverticulitis. I know it has been shown to help stop flare ups in other similar conditions, maybe it would help your hubby.

Best of luck, and I expect the prize by return of post.....

All you others who got it wrong........ner ner ner ner.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:12 pm
Thanks for the info, Shiver! Glad to hear you have a better understanding...... <mumbles about f'n hospitals>
0 Replies