World stunned as US struggles with Katrina

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:22 pm
Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it? Others risking their lives for others and getting shot at for it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:00 pm
Quote:
Getting angry is one thing. Staying angry and using the energy that could be spent helping is another.

Well said, Mama Angel. I'm hoping that my dander will still be up next week when the local library will be recruiting literacy volunteers.

Knowledge is power.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:03 pm
Noddy24,

If you want to really get a good feeling from helping, learn to teach someone to read. You cannot imagine what it feels like to hear someone read their very first book to you and see the tears streaming down their face because they could. I hope you find plenty of volunteers for this! This is going to be one of the projects the Care Angels Network is soon to be involved in. Take your passion and pass it along!

Momma Angel
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:14 pm
Momma Angel--

I've been active in literacy work in the past, but I needed a rest.

Literacy opens all sorts of doors and some can lead to burnout.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:17 pm
Noddy24,

Oh I know how you can get burnt out! I applaud what you have done. Your passion will show!

Momma Angel

Angel On!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 02:03 am
Help is on the way- from Cuba and UN

http://www.guardian.co.uk/katrina/story/0,16441,1562886,00.html

Mercy!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 02:08 am
God Bless them all! Now, why is it that we can't come together as a world in good times as well as in times of disaster? If we were all willing to work this hard all the time wouldn't this world be a much better place in which to live?

Thank you for posting that, McTag! It made my day!

Momma Angel
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:14 am
And no, I am NOT a Pollyanna, but stories like these help me regain my confidence in the basic goodness of humanity.

Quote:
Girl Squeezes $987 From Lemonade, Cookie Stand
By JOSH POLTILOVE [email protected]
Published: Sep 5, 2005

TEMPLE TERRACE - Courtney Dollar opened a small lemonade stand near her parents' Temple Terrace house, hoping to raise $500 this weekend for victims of Hurricane Katrina.
``I wanted enough to give people blankets, food, water,'' said Courtney, 9.

She sold bubble gum for 5 cents or lemonade or two cookies for 50 cents.

With the help of parents and friends, by late Sunday afternoon she'd amassed $987.

That figure doesn't include extra donations some have promised but haven't provided yet. And thanks to Labor Day weekend, she still has another day to sell lemonade.

The donations so far, which will go to the American Red Cross, have amazed her father, Todd.

He figured the stand ``would do OK'' but never expected it to sell 21 gallons of lemonade in two days.

Some customers just drove to the stand and dropped off cash without wanting anything in return; one person handed the Dollars a $50 bill and wouldn't accept lemonade.

``It really makes me feel good about our community,'' Dollar said. ``A lot of people have pulled up to us and said, `Good job' or `Thank you for your hard work.' ''

The stand, at 630 Druid Hills Drive near Temple Terrace Golf & Country Club, has been open about seven hours a day.

It operates today from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Dollar said proceeds probably will reach $1,500.

``It feels really good'' to raise so much for a good cause, Courtney said.

http://tampatrib.com/News/MGBR1NJ98DE.html

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:56 am
nimh wrote:
Should keep that in mind, and then still analyse what went wrong in the response - and what had gone wrong already before (eg water management). A critical, honest reflection. Dont think its gonna happen.

OK, about that critical reflection.

WaPo has an excellent, in-depth investigation of the entire context of what went wrong, where. Six reporters and a researcher took part in gathering the info.

Is it possible to bring this information up and discuss it, without being accused of "politicising" the issue? I think each of the points highlighted in the report should be addressed, without being told it's some sort of unpatriotic to focus on bad news at this time. There's definitely lots of thought-provoking stuff here. Facts, info, hard data and some provocative opinions.

Mind you, the below are still only excerpts; you probably want to read the full article here.

Quote:
Storm Exposed Disarray at the Top

The killer hurricane and flood that devastated the Gulf Coast last week exposed fatal weaknesses in a federal disaster response system retooled after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, to handle just such a cataclysmic event.

Despite four years and tens of billions of dollars spent preparing for the worst, the federal government was not ready when it came at daybreak on Monday, according to interviews with more than a dozen current and former senior officials and outside experts.

Among the flaws they cited: Failure to take the storm seriously before it hit and trigger the government's highest level of response. Rebuffed offers of aid from the military, states and cities. An unfinished new plan meant to guide disaster response. And a slow bureaucracy that waited until late Tuesday to declare the catastrophe "an incident of national significance," the new federal term meant to set off the broadest possible relief effort. [..]

If Hurricane Katrina represented a real-life rehearsal of sorts, the response suggested to many that the nation is not ready to handle a terrorist attack of similar dimensions. [..] Clark Kent Ervin, DHS's former inspector general [said] "it obviously raises very serious, troubling questions about whether the government would be prepared if this were a terrorist attack. It's a devastating indictment of this department's performance four years after 9/11." [..]

Indeed, the warnings about New Orleans's vulnerability to post-hurricane flooding repeatedly circulated at the upper levels of the new bureaucracy, which had absorbed the old lead agency for disasters, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, among its two dozen fiefdoms. "Beyond terrorism, this was the one event I was most concerned with always," said Joe M. Allbaugh, the former Bush campaign manager who served as his first FEMA head.

But several current and former senior officials charged that those worries were never accorded top priority -- either by FEMA's management or their superiors in DHS. Even when officials held a practice run, as they did in an exercise dubbed "Hurricane Pam" last year, they did not test for the worst-case scenario, rehearsing only what they would do if a Category 3 storm hit New Orleans, not the Category 4 power of Katrina. And after Pam, the planned follow-up study was never completed, according to a FEMA official involved. [..]

The roots of last week's failures will be examined for weeks and months to come, but early assessments point to a troubled Department of Homeland Security that is still in the midst of a bureaucratic transition, a "work in progress," as Mencer put it. Some current and former officials argued that as it worked to focus on counterterrorism, the department has diminished the government's ability to respond in a nuts-and-bolts way to disasters in general, and failed to focus enough on threats posed by hurricanes and other natural disasters in particular. From an independent Cabinet-level agency, FEMA has become an underfunded, isolated piece of the vast DHS, yet it is still charged with leading the government's response to disaster.

"It's such an irony I hate to say it, but we have less capability today than we did on September 11," said a veteran FEMA official involved in the hurricane response. "We are so much less than what we were in 2000," added another senior FEMA official. "We've lost a lot of what we were able to do then." [..]

After Hurricane Hugo hit in 1989 and Hurricane Andrew in 1992, federal response was panned, and FEMA was due for an overhaul. It got it in 1993, when Clinton brought in James Lee Witt, a veteran emergency manager and political ally, to take over, granted the agency Cabinet-level status and gave it a highly visible role it had not previously had. Its response to crises such as the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing received high marks, though some Republicans complained that it was used as a pot of money doled out to bolster Clinton's political standing.

But after 9/11, FEMA lost out in the massive bureaucratic shuffle.

Not only did its Cabinet status disappear, but it became one of 22 government agencies to be consolidated into Homeland Security.
For a time, recalled Ervin, even its name was slated to vanish and become simply the directorate of emergency preparedness and response until then-DHS Secretary Tom Ridge relented.

On Capitol Hill, lawmakers from hurricane-prone states fought a rear-guard action against FEMA's absorption. "What we were afraid of, and what is coming to pass, is that FEMA has basically been destroyed as a coherent, fast-on-its-feet, independent agency," said Rep. David E. Price (D-N.C.). [..]

Hurricanes were not totally absent from the calculations about the new department, according to several former Bush administration officials. Bush tapped his chief of staff, Andrew H. Card Jr., to supervise DHS's creation; a decade earlier, Card had been personally deputized by Bush's father to go to Florida and take charge of the much-criticized response to Hurricane Andrew.

"We definitely did worry about it," recalled Richard A. Falkenrath, who served as a White House homeland security adviser at the time DHS was being formed. "We knew we should do no harm to the disaster management side. The leadership of the White House knows the political significance of disasters."

From the day it came into existence on March 1, 2003, the department of 180,000 employees and a nearly $40 billion annual budget was tasked by a presidential directive with developing a comprehensive new plan for disasters. The National Response Plan was supposed to supersede the confusing overlay of federal, state and local disaster plans, and to designate a "principal officer in the event of an incident of national significance." [..]

"The problem was, who was in charge on 9/11? Who the hell knew? They kept asking and asking. You needed some clarity," Falkenrath recalled. "It was supposed to pull it all together. . . . But FEMA was grousing about that; they thought it was taking things away from them." [..]

Yet DHS in reality emphasized terrorism at the expense of other threats, said several current and former senior department officials and experts who have closely monitored its creation, cutting funding for natural disaster programs and downgrading the responsibilities and capabilities of the previously well-regarded FEMA. [..]

"The federal system that was perfected in the '90s has been deconstructed," said Bullock. Citing a study that found that the United States now spends $180 million a year to fend off natural hazards vs. $20 billion annually against terrorism, Bullock said, "FEMA has been marginalized.... There is one focus and the focus is on terrorism." [..]

By this year, almost three of every four grant dollars appropriated to DHS for first responders went to programs explicitly focused on terrorism, the Government Accountability Office noted in a July report. [..] At the same time, the budget for much of what remained of FEMA has been cut every year; for the current fiscal year, funding for the core FEMA functions went down to $444 million from $664 million.

New leaders such as Allbaugh were critical of FEMA's natural disaster focus and lectured senior managers about the need to adjust to the post-9/11 fear of terrorism. So did his friend Michael D. Brown, a lawyer with no previous disaster management experience whom Allbaugh brought in as his deputy and who now has the top FEMA post. "Allbaugh's quote was 'You don't get it,' " recalled the senior FEMA official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "If you brought up natural disasters, you were accused of being a pre-9/11 thinker." The result, the official said, was that "FEMA was being taxed by the department, having money and slots taken. Because we didn't conform with the mission of the agency." [..]

But experts in emergency response inside and outside the government sounded warnings about the changes at FEMA. Peacock said FEMA's traditional emphasis on emergency response "all went up in smoke" after 9/11, creating a "blind spot" as a result of a "police-action, militaristic view" of homeland security. When it came to natural disasters, "It was not only forgetting about it, it was not funding it."

Jack Harrald, director of the Institute for Crisis, Disaster, and Risk Management at George Washington University, said FEMA's natural disaster focus was nearly liquidated. "We ended up spending a lot of money on infrastructure protection and not the resiliency of the actual infrastructure," Harrald said. "The people who came in from the military and terrorist world thought we had the natural disaster thing fixed."

On the Friday before Katrina hit, when it was already a Category 2 hurricane rapidly gathering force in the Gulf, a veteran FEMA employee arrived at the newly activated Washington headquarters for the storm. Inside, there was surprisingly little action. "It was like nobody's turning the key to start the engine," the official recalled. [..]

In the run-up to the current crisis, Allbaugh said he knew "for a fact" that officials at FEMA and other federal agencies had requested that New Orleans issue a mandatory evacuation order earlier than Sunday morning.

But DHS did not ask the U.S. military to assist in pre-hurricane evacuation efforts, despite well-known estimates that a major hurricane would cause levees in New Orleans to fail. In an interview, the general charged with operations for the military's Northern Command said such a request to help with the evacuation "did not come our way." [..]

Others who went out of their way to offer help were turned down, such as Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley, who told reporters his city had offered emergency, medical and technical help as early as last Sunday to FEMA but was turned down. Only a single tank truck was requested, Daley said.
Red tape kept the American Ambulance Association from sending 300 emergency vehicles from Florida to the flood zone, according to former senator John Breaux (D-La.) They were told to get permission from the General Services Administration. "GSA said they had to have FEMA ask for it," Breaux told CNN. "As a result they weren't sent."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:56 am
My daughter works in Dairy Queen along with going to college and there was a couple in there telling everyone that they are loading up a truck to take goods down to the gulf coast. My daughter bought some things to put in the truck. My husband and myself have bought some things to load in another truck that someone is taking down in that direction as well. People are doing their part and that is helpful and good. In the coming days and months we should continue to do our part.

However it does no good to bury our heads in the sand and ignore problems in the interest of keeping up a good cheer. We must explore our problems so that we can fix them.

There was violence and confusion in New Orleans and other places along the gulf coast, but there should have been a plan to put some order to the violence and confusion so that help could have gotten to those needed it sooner and there wasn't one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/04/AR2005090401552.html

Quote:
Experts: Homeland Security Was Off Guard

Quote:
"Given three days notice as to the general location of landfall and the projected level of impact, I thought we would have been better prepared for this situation," Rollins said. "We certainly would not have had the luxury of knowledge of timing and location were it a terrorist attack on the levees rather than the impact from Katrina."

Quote:
Despite the sheer magnitude of the disaster, homeland security expert Daniel Prieto said the federal government has to be prepared to pick up the slack when the private sector and state and local officials can't.

"The federal government is the protector of last resort. Dispassionately, that is where responsibility lies," said Prieto, research director for the homeland security partnership at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:04 am
revel wrote:
However it does no good to bury our heads in the sand and ignore problems in the interest of keeping up a good cheer. We must explore our problems so that we can fix them.

I agree that it is foolish to ignore problems. My take on this is that at this point in time, the federal, state and local governments are very much aware that the response to Katrina was a major league screw-up. Pointing fingers, and placing blame, does nothing but cause more defensiveness and divisiveness, and does nothing to assist the victims of this tragedy.

That said, I believe that the best thing for private citizens to do, is to find ways to help, in any way, big and small, that they can to help the people of the gulf area who were affected by Katrina.

There is a lot of negative energy floating around that would be best used to further positive action.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:12 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I agree that it is foolish to ignore problems. My take on this is that at this point in time, the federal, state and local governments are very much aware that the response to Katrina was a major league screw-up. [..]

That said, I believe that the best thing for private citizens to do, is to find ways to help, in any way, big and small, that they can to help the people of the gulf area who were affected by Katrina.

There is a lot of negative energy floating around that would be best used to further positive action.

My perhaps cynical take is that if the authorities are aware of their own screw-up, all the more so if they are aware of it, much of the political bureaucracy's first instinct will be to bury it, put it in the eh, whatchamacallit ("doofpot" we say, "smothering pot". Put a lid on it.)

Governments and authorities usually can only be made to learn the lessons from their mistakes when watchful citizens pressure them to. Perhaps its my anarchist/libertarian instinct playing up here, but I think the government (any government) badly needs your critical vigilance if it is to do better next time. Thats not just "negative energy". False security in thinking, "Oh I'm sure they're aware of the problems and they'll solve it in time, lets focus on other things ourselves".
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:19 am
Meanwhile, perhaps appropriate in this "World stunned" thread, news of a mini-disaster in France brings familiar scenes and complaints:

Quote:
Fire at French Housing Project Kills 15

L'HAY-LES-ROSES, France - Firefighters treating survivors at a housing project fire that killed 15 people Sunday were pelted with stones by youths complaining of a tardy response, in what the mayor called a "night of horror." [..]

Residents screamed and leaped from windows in the fire that Mayor Patrick Seve said began around 1 a.m. in the town of L'Hay-les-Roses, near Orly airport.

As dozens of firefighters rushed to the scene, youths, apparently angry about what they considered a slow response from rescue teams, threw rocks at them, the mayor said. Rescue squads said they responded in about 15 minutes.

"The firefighters were getting hit by stones while they were conducting heart massages," he said. Officials said at least five people were revived after suffering heart attacks, and one pregnant woman gave birth after being rescued.

Most of those who died had tried to flee through the entrance hall but were met with 570-degree temperatures, smoke and asphyxiation, the mayor said. [..] Some 500 residents were in the low-cost housing project at the start of the blaze, and those who stayed in their apartments were not hurt. [..]

Jean-Luc Marx, a local government spokesman, said the building was built in the early 1970s as part of a state-supported plan for low-cost housing and was recently renovated.

France has been grappling with how to deal with and prevent building fires. The Sunday fire was the fourth deadly fire since April. [..]

Thousands of people marched Saturday in Paris to demand better housing for the poor [..].
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:21 am
I agree with you up to a point about negative energy. Sometimes though spreading negative energy around is the only way to get people in action. Otherwise they just skim along with the same failures.

For instance if there was no news reporting about the people starving for days up on roof tops the world would not have known to start sending help and supplies. We would have thought everything was being taken care of.

Also people in charge need to be held accountable in their positions of authority.

But basically we are in agreement and I am willing to let it go rather than beating it to death. I think you are right the world now knows there was a break down and now is the time to do something rather continue to keep rehashing it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:29 am
Quote:
I agree that it is foolish to ignore problems. My take on this is that at this point in time, the federal, state and local governments are very much aware that the response to Katrina was a major league screw-up. Pointing fingers, and placing blame, does nothing but cause more defensiveness and divisiveness, and does nothing to assist the victims of this tragedy.
Not to worry, P, the Bush administration will not take responsibility. The litany has already begun, no one could have known the levees blah blah, the paperwork wasn't in from the office of the blah blah blah.

But here's a couple of thoughts:

Bush to New Orleans: Drop Dead

Killed by Contempt

Still, nothing will change from the conservative every old lady in a shopping cart for herself attitude. We have to make the changes.

Joe(I gotta go)Nation
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:34 am
nimh wrote:
Perhaps its my anarchist/libertarian instinct playing up here, but I think the government (any government) badly needs your critical vigilance if it is to do better next time.

Oh, I agree. But what good is being done by writing on an internet forum, except possibly to ventilate, so as to allay some of the anxiety brought on by this tragedy? Would it not be more productive to write letters to the editors of major newspapers, calling and writing your congressmen and other officials? I am not so sure that even doing those things NOW is the appropriate thing to do.

People have to prioritize. At this moment, the important thing is to realize that many people, even those who were not personally affected by Katrina, are in a state of shock. We realize that we are extremely vulnerable to the exigencies caused by Mother Nature. We have now learned a bitter lesson, and that is that, for the immediate future at least, our government cannot be counted on to bail us out, if another Katrina, or a 9/11 comes to our neck of the woods.

Now is the time for people to put plans into place "just in case". It is also the time to do what we can for the people affected by Katrina.

I hear the term, "Homeland Security", and I laugh, sadly. It sounds great on TV sound bites, but is it spin, or is there any "meat" behind the concept? How long does it take to make a country like the US really secure from both natural and man made disasters?

I think that homeland security is in its infancy, and in the meantime, we all need to take steps ourselves to ensure the safety of ourselves, our loved ones and our neighbors.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:40 am
Quote:
I think that homeland security is in its infancy, and in the meantime, we all need to take steps ourselves to ensure the safety of ourselves, our loved ones and our neighbors.

There are always excuses made for this administration. Frankly I think most of the country has finally caught on, thank the good Lord.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:44 am
revel- I am not crazy about the administration, either. I think that Bush has dropped the ball, badly. But we need to deal with reality. No matter whose fault it is, the bottom line is that our country is NOT secure, by a long shot. And THAT is the issue with which we have to deal.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:22 am
revel wrote:

Amen. This was Krugman's point in his column on the 2nd, I think, and I thoroughly agree with it.

I don't see this as zero-sum as some others. Love to see the heartwarming stories, the people helping, the good stuff happening. I have contributed to the Red Cross and am looking for ways to be helpful (beyond contributing, they are limited.) Simultaneously, serious mistakes were made, and I see it as my responsibility as a citizen to a) discover the nature of the mistakes, and b) hold those who made the mistakes accountable. To make the same point a third time, glossing over the significant mismanagement in the name of national unity or positivity or whatever just allows it to happen again. In that way, I think asking the tough questions and being willing to act on the results is itself one of the most productive things we can do.

(Edit: I wrote this immediately after seeing revel's statement, I see a lot of the same ground has been covered already.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:56 am
I hate to inject politics into this, but there is a reality here. The administration knows that the people of the US, as well as the entire world is looking at them with jaundiced eyes. Over the last few years, the Republicans have accumulated a tremendous amount of control over the government, which they don't want to lose.

There are elections in the fall. You bet your boots that you will see action on the part of the government now.

What is so sad, from my libertarian perspective, is that IMO the main job of government is to privide safety for its citizens, both within and without. They have failed miserably.
0 Replies