World stunned as US struggles with Katrina

candidone1

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:26 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Here's something interesting to view.
Google satellite pics of Katrina aftermath

Compare with this and you'll be shocked.
Zoom in on the statium in the center of the map and venture outward from there.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:32 pm
I thought you made a lot of valid points, shewolfnm.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:36 pm
Lash wrote:
msolga wrote:

Yes, there are black people in Oz who live in frightful poverty. It is shameful & wrong. Yes, it's true. I've posted about this on other A2K threads. But that isn't really what we're discussing here.
Quote:
It is EXACTLY hat we're discussing. You would be in the SAME position. Why point a finger at someone who mirrors your own situation.

I honestly don't know if an event of such terrible magnitude happened here how different the response would be. You don't know until if happens, do you?
Quote:
A good reason to withhold judgement

But I know one thing for certain, there would definitely be a public backlash in response to so many avoidable deaths & so much misery & pain by so many if there was a perception that some, at least, could have been avoided by more timely & effectual government action.
Quote:
If the backlash occurred after we were sure there were unavoidable deaths--or if due to choices people made, they died. A little fairness and rationality is all many people want.

Not a "debate". I just wish people would really think about what they're saying.

Don't feel compelled to respond if you don't feel like it.

I don't feel compelled & I have thought about what I've said. <sigh>
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:49 pm
JTT Wrote:

Quote:
Right on top of things, are ya Momma Angel? That's good to hear. Ya want the dirt, the lowdown, get it from Momma Angel. She's sitting up there in Hodge, Jackson County, Louisiana, almost as far away from New Orleans as one can get without settin' foot in Arkansas

First of all, that was just plain rude. Second, you obviously do not live here in Louisiana. You only see and hear what is in the newspapers and the spin the press is doing.

C'mon down here and I'll show you exactly what is going on.

shewolf,

Right on! Now, there's someone with some solutions to the problem. Let's stop wasting time blaming and pointing fingers.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:49 pm
Get to know the underside of NO.

excerpt--

New Orleans murder rate on the rise again
Homicide rate nowhere near '94 peak but still 10 times national average

•Updated: 7:20 p.m. ET Aug. 18, 2005
NEW ORLEANS - Last year, university researchers conducted an experiment in which police fired 700 blank rounds in a New Orleans neighborhood in a single afternoon. No one called to report the gunfire.

New Orleans residents are reluctant to come forward as witnesses, fearing retaliation. And experts say that is one of several reasons homicides are on the rise in the Big Easy at a time when other cities are seeing their murder rates plummet to levels not seen in decades.

The city's murder rate is still far lower than a decade ago, when New Orleans was the country's murder capital. But in recent years, the city's homicide rate has climbed again to nearly 10 times the national average.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:05 pm
Lash

There is no city in Australia of comparable size with a comparable percentage of black population. I can't make a valid comparision. I've also told you that I can only guess what the reaction to such a disaster here would be. I have no idea, as I told you. You see that as agreeing with you, or a sign of weakness in my "argument" Who was arguing here? Rolling Eyes ... <sigh>

I have never argued that Australians have some sort of superior relationships with indigenous people compared to the US & it's black population. If you can find evidence to the contrary I invite you to post it here. Nor do I believe that Australian relations with aboriginals has any relevance to this discussion. So why are these things an issue in your comments to me? And why be so rude about it? <sigh>

But I can comment on the response by authorities to a disaster of this magnitude. I have. You don't like what I've said. So it goes ...

You also don't like what I said about local radio talkback reaction here to government donations for relief assistance. This thread is about "world reaction". That was the reaction here, on that particular day. Feedback. So it goes ...

I don't think you'd like anything I've said unless I agreed with you, frankly.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:19 pm
msolga wrote:
Lash wrote:
msolga wrote:

Yes, there are black people in Oz who live in frightful poverty. It is shameful & wrong. Yes, it's true. I've posted about this on other A2K threads. But that isn't really what we're discussing here.
Quote:
It is EXACTLY hat we're discussing. You would be in the SAME position. Why point a finger at someone who mirrors your own situation.

I honestly don't know if an event of such terrible magnitude happened here how different the response would be. You don't know until if happens, do you?
Quote:
A good reason to withhold judgement

But I know one thing for certain, there would definitely be a public backlash in response to so many avoidable deaths & so much misery & pain by so many if there was a perception that some, at least, could have been avoided by more timely & effectual government action.
Quote:
If the backlash occurred after we were sure there were unavoidable deaths--or if due to choices people made, they died. A little fairness and rationality is all many people want.

Not a "debate". I just wish people would really think about what they're saying.

Don't feel compelled to respond if you don't feel like it.

I don't feel compelled & I have thought about what I've said. <sigh>

Msolga--

This was your response to my last post to you. I was content to leave it at that.

I don't understand why you are responding again, as if I've said something else to you. I haven't. I was under the impression you wished not to speak further about it, since you said that: "I don't feel compelled". If you like these things to fizzle, let them fizzle. If you want them to continue, then keep it going.

I don't think you have the stomach for a conversation about this particular thing with me. I tried to be deferential to you by dropping it earlier, but if you want back in, we can have this discussion.

I knew when I asked you that you didn't have a comparable demographic of non-whites in Australia. I don't seek an argument, but I do think people that make declarative statements suvch as many people here, including you, are doing, they should be able to back them up. Certainly, I have found myself to be incorrect about a few things in this manner. I suspect that if we were to examine this subject, one of us would discover her error. That would be a good thing, yes?

Anyway. I leave it to you, but do poop or get off the pot.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:26 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
JTT Wrote:

Quote:
Right on top of things, are ya Momma Angel? That's good to hear. Ya want the dirt, the lowdown, get it from Momma Angel. She's sitting up there in Hodge, Jackson County, Louisiana, almost as far away from New Orleans as one can get without settin' foot in Arkansas

First of all, that was just plain rude.

The plain truth ain't rude, MA, it's just the plain truth. Just how far is Hodge from NO? 200, 300 miles? Maybe you could fill us in on just how close you got to New Orleans within the critical time window.

Quote:

In early 2004, as the cost of the conflict in Iraq soared, President Bush proposed spending less than 20 percent of what the Corps said was needed for Lake Pontchartrain, according to a Feb. 16, 2004, article, in New Orleans CityBusiness.

On June 8, 2004, Walter Maestri, emergency management chief for Jefferson Parish, Louisiana; told the Times-Picayune: "It appears that the money has been moved in the president's budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that's the price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can't be finished, and we are doing everything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us."

Also that June, with the 2004 hurricane season starting, the Corps' project manager Al Naomi went before a local agency, the East Jefferson Levee Authority, and essentially begged for $2 million for urgent work that Washington was now unable to pay for. From the June 18, 2004 Times-Picayune:

"The system is in great shape, but the levees are sinking. Everything is sinking, and if we don't get the money fast enough to raise them, then we can't stay ahead of the settlement," he said. "The problem that we have isn't that the levee is low, but that the federal funds have dried up so that we can't raise them."

The panel authorized that money, and on July 1, 2004, it had to pony up another $250,000 when it learned that stretches of the levee in Metairie had sunk by four feet. The agency had to pay for the work with higher property taxes. The levee board noted in October 2004 that the feds were also now not paying for a hoped-for $15 million project to better shore up the banks of Lake Pontchartrain.

The 2004 hurricane season was the worst in decades. In spite of that, the federal government came back this spring with the steepest reduction in hurricane and flood-control funding for New Orleans in history. Because of the proposed cuts, the Corps office there imposed a hiring freeze. Officials said that money targeted for the SELA project -- $10.4 million, down from $36.5 million -- was not enough to start any new jobs.

There was, at the same time, a growing recognition that more research was needed to see what New Orleans must do to protect itself from a Category 4 or 5 hurricane. But once again, the money was not there. As the Times-Picayune reported last Sept. 22:

"That second study would take about four years to complete and would cost about $4 million, said Army Corps of Engineers project manager Al Naomi. About $300,000 in federal money was proposed for the 2005 fiscal-year budget, and the state had agreed to match that amount. But the cost of the Iraq war forced the Bush administration to order the New Orleans district office not to begin any new studies, and the 2005 budget no longer includes the needed money, he said."

The Senate was seeking to restore some of the SELA funding cuts for 2006. But now it's too late.

One project that a contractor had been racing to finish this summer: a bridge and levee job right at the 17th Street Canal, site of the main breach on Monday.

[continued at]

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001051313

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:33 pm
Lash wrote:
I don't think you have the stomach for a conversation about this particular thing with me. I tried to be deferential to you by dropping it earlier, but if you want back in, we can have this discussion.

I knew when I asked you that you didn't have a comparable demographic of non-whites in Australia. I don't seek an argument, but I do think people that make declarative statements suvch as many people here, including you, are doing, they should be able to back them up. Certainly, I have found myself to be incorrect about a few things in this manner. I suspect that if we were to examine this subject, one of us would discover her error. That would be a good thing, yes?

Anyway. I leave it to you, but do poop or get off the pot.

You're right, Lash. It isn't easy to stomach.

The reason I'm still here is because I made no "declarative statements" what-so-ever about black/white demographics in Oz compared to the US. Call me stubborn but I won't accept you suggesting I've said things that I haven't. I think you've got me confused with someone. maybe? Confused

And I will "poop off" when it suits me, OK? Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:35 pm
JTT Wrote:

Quote:
The plain truth ain't rude, MA, it's just the plain truth. Just how far is Hodge from NO? 200, 300 miles? Maybe you could fill us in on just how close you got to New Orleans within the critical time window.

Well, since my nephew-in-law and his wife were in New Orleans and they needed to get up here pretty fast, we did drive down there before the storm hit. So, JTT, I'd say I know what I am talking about. We have over 250 people here in Hodge from New Orleans. So, I guess you could say we got the "skinny" straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Does that satisfy you?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:52 pm
Why the defensiveness? I don't get it.

No one is saying Bush caused a hurricane. No one is saying Bush is supposed to be in a boat saving people.

What is being said is that the response has been poorly organized and lacking in numerous ways. What's wrong with acknowledging that?

Bush AND other republicans are admitting as much:

Quote:
Sen. Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) said he had asked the committee with oversight of the Department of Homeland Security, which includes FEMA, to hold hearings on the agency's handling of the hurricane's aftermath after Congress resumes work Tuesday.

One Republican lawmaker, Rep. Mark Foley of Florida, called for FEMA to be separated from the Department of Homeland Security.

"This is not solely a response to the tragedy in the Gulf, but rather it is the result of the increasing evidence that FEMA should not be hindered by a top-heavy bureaucracy when they are needed to act swiftly to save lives," Foley said in a statement.

Republican leaders said they were considering an economic stimulus package that probably would include tax relief for hurricane victims.

House Majority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) said he agreed with President Bush's remark Friday that the response had been "unacceptable."

"Hard lessons have been learned, tragic lessons have been learned," Blunt said. "We have to respond more quickly; we have to respond in the right ways and be sure our priorities are right."

Source
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:59 pm
Squinney,

Don't you think it's just about time for everyone to stop harping on the mistakes that were made? It seems no one hears of the good things that are happening. It's all negative. Just very tired of the negativity. It's turning into one big finger pointing pity party. Let's learn from the mistakes and move on. Bush already said the efforts in Louisiana were unacceptable, but at least he started doing something to turn that around.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:07 pm
msolga wrote:
This sounds like a cheap shot, I know. But how could such a powerful country, which could so easily manage to "shock & awe" another, NOT have the resources & know how to act sooner & so very much better?
Quote:
Where was the mistake made? I posted a detailed chronology of the events as threy happened. Since it's so apparent to you what we did wrong, why don't you show where we went wrong and how you could have done better.

How could life just go on, with a tragedy of this magnitude happening "at home"?
Quote:
Would life stop at Oz after a flood?

The army, buses, police, food & medical supplies, every useful resource possible should have been there in force BEFORE it happened,
Quote:
to be washed away in the flood waters? REALLY?? Are you serious??

when it became so obvious that so many could not leave.
Quote:
One day. ONE DAY'S NOTICE. It is irresponsible to make such broad unrealistic statements. Again. What would you have done in one day to prepare???

AT LEAST very soon after it became patently obvious that this was so HUGE. This is shocking & incomprehensible.

Quote:
as it will be when you have a natural disaster. Remember this then.

The people who are criticising should be able to say what they would have done better.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:11 pm
It's five days after she hit. What kind of lessons do you think have already been learned, and how does that translate to changes being made?

It doesn't. No one has even met to analyze what went wrong and how to fix it. So, I'll stop harping when I see that mistakes have been corrected so they don't happen again.

Finger pointing pity party? Tell that to the thousands that have died.

I happen to be sick of being told to shut up, sit down and stop whining while this country is going to sh!t. Time and again, no matter what the issue, that's what people that see where we are heading are told we should do.

Follow blindly if you like, but I won't sit down and shut up until we get competent leadership.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:19 pm
Squinney Wrote:

Quote:
It's five days after she hit. What kind of lessons do you think have already been learned, and how does that translate to changes being made?

It doesn't. No one has even met to analyze what went wrong and how to fix it. So, I'll stop harping when I see that mistakes have been corrected so they don't happen again.

Finger pointing pity party? Tell that to the thousands that have died.

I happen to be sick of being told to shut up, sit down and stop whining while this country is going to sh!t. Time and again, no matter what the issue, that's what people that see where we are heading are told we should do.

Follow blindly if you like, but I won't sit down and shut up until we get competent leadership.

You totally misunderstand me. I am not telling anyone to shut up. What I am saying is let's take all the energy being focused on the negatives and start focusing on the positives.

In any given situation attitude makes all the difference in the world. I realize that thousands probably have died because of this disaster. And that cuts anyone to the heart.

But, what good has all of the political bashing, finger pointing, and name calling done? It is dividing the country. It's like Hurricane Katrina did what Osama Bin Laden didn't.

I want to see some of the good things. The heroic rescues by people, the children saved, etc. New Orleans has always been a city that is in the public eye because of the crime rate and the NOPD. Now, NO is being shown as a city that has rapists, looters, snipers, and rioters in the middle of a natural disaster. All that is being focused on is the bad side. And, what those people are doing in NO is no one's fault but their own. I am talking about the looters, rapists, etc. They are the ones displaying that behavior. That has nothing to do with the Mayor, Governor, or the President. Those are the ones that are making it so difficult for the others to be rescued. Would you really want to go down there and try to help someone knowing you might be shot or raped?

The Ouachita Parish Sheriff's Department told the NOPD no way were they bringing their criminals up here to be put in our jails. And, who can blame them? New Orleans was not a very safe city for anyone to be in.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:21 pm
Lash

Please read squinney's last couple of posts. It is not just me, it is also Republicans & many of your fellow country people who are acknowledging that serious mistakes have been made. How can I tell you in more depth than they can? What's the point of the exercise? These mistakes, or miscalculations, caused a hundreds of lives to be lost! It isn't just a little glitch that people will happily accept, if explained in the right words. Yes, you posted a chronology, but that changes nothing, really. What happened is still not acceptable.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:24 pm
Quote:
Don't you think it's just about time for everyone to stop harping on the mistakes that were made? It seems no one hears of the good things that are happening. It's all negative. Just very tired of the negativity. It's turning into one big finger pointing pity party. Let's learn from the mistakes and move on. Bush already said the efforts in Louisiana were unacceptable, but at least he started doing something to turn that around

Sensible meat, well cooked and nicely served.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:30 pm
People are still dead in the water, the crisis hasn't had time to be examined BECAUSE IT'S NOT OVER. It is ludicrious that anyone is standing around tapping their foot while good people are risking their lives to clean up that mess.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:32 pm
Lash Wrote:

Quote:
People are still dead in the water, the crisis hasn't had time to be examined BECAUSE IT'S NOT OVER. It is ludicrious that anyone is standing around tapping their foot while good people are risking their lives to clean up that mess.

Amen sista! Let's stop that foot tapping and start bailing water or something!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:16 am
What I'm saying is that it's past time for the rose colored glasses. It's past time for the feel good stories. You want feel good stories and warm fuzzies? Why?

Seriously think about that. What is the purpose of hearing the feel good stories? What difference would it make if you were hearing stories of heroic rescues, families reunited by a national guard, and FEMA delivering a million meals?

The reason people want feel good stories is for their own personal feeling of security. They want to know that humans are basically good. That good wins over evil. That their fellow man is decent and caring. They want to know that, if in the same situation, there would be someone there for them.

It is now being reported that deaths from Katrina may top 10,000. TEN THOUSAND! How secure do you think they felt?

Have your feel good stories if you like, but it just might be changes forced by the "whining" that ends up saving your behind one day, not the stories of heroics.

I'm not tapping my foot. I'm STOMPING! If not for the accumulation of incompetences over the past four years, I might join you in listening to a few tales of goodwill. But, the mistakes have to stop. It's costing too many lives.
0 Replies