Gas Prices

mismi

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:53 pm
I need to give away some clothes...that would solve many problems with washing as well.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:57 pm
oh hey, you said something about baking soda cleaning your toilet just fine.

I'm here to say it's true.....

ok everyone, shewolf and I are racking up the points in what I will call "A2K Saves the World"

I ain't noticed anyone else stepping up and saying they are willing to mix that can of stewed tomaoes in their cupboards with some rice and calling it the main part (or a whole) meal.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:06 pm
I use one of these to dry my clothes

http://www.clotheslineshop.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/1600use%20Out%20Dryer.jpg

We sold our second car this winter and I've been taking the bus. We kept our little Ford Focus for Mr. Fix-it's commute -- $47 to fill the tank! I don't know how people who own gas guzzlers cope. Once he's in school in September he won't have the commute (and twice weekly fill-ups) to worry about. He can walk or ride a bike. I may drive if it means a better paying job (they never seem to be on a bus route).
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:13 pm
I filled up today at almost that SAME price.

I felt hot tears in my eyes too. I was furious. Still am. Confused
Because I can not cut back on my car use any more then I currently do and there is nothing I can do aside from either financing another car that gets better gas mileage ( which is sort of hard to find.. other then the prius which I dont like ) or buying a damn scooter.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:17 pm
mismi wrote:
I need to give away some clothes...that would solve many problems with washing as well.

that is actually what I have been doing most of the afternoon today.

If I dont have an immediate use for it, it has gone in a box.
Really sticking to my guns, I have 2 boxes of just.. JUNK .. that is going to goodwill plus one large trash bag of clothes.

I HATE buying new clothes.
MOst of the time I take my summer jeans and cut the legs off to make shorts.
But, by then.. because they were a really cheap brand to begin with.. they are worn out, color faded. Small holes every where.. zipper doesnt quite work.. Yet, I keep them because I think I can wear them around the house
or while I am doing laundry
or just in case everything else is dirty
or when i am on the boat
or when i am hiking ( as if)
or when..or when.. or when..

Ya know.. I think I have almost 12 pairs of those "or when" pants.. Confused
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:26 pm
since the economy is a rather like a tightly woven net , it is not that easy
to effect major changes quickly .
while most would agree that we want to save energy and generally want to be "good" citizens of the world , it gets complicated rather quicklly .

i'll just take ontario as an example . ontario was considered the "economic engine of canada" for quite a long time . particularly the automobile industry was a big part of keping this "engine" going .
but rather suddenly the brakes have been put on . the "big three" have laid off thousands of workers in ontario . automotive supply companies have also started to lay off people ... ... and those companies have reduced purchasing from their suppliers ... ... and now the "engine" has started to sputter .
while some workers have been able to go on early retirement , others are on unemployment benefits that start to run out at some point !

the people on unemployment have less purchasing power , so they'll be buying fewer goods and services ... ... and those companies supplying these goods and services will feel the pinch and start layoffs .

imo it is simple for an INDIVIDUAL to save , but if EVERYONE starts to save and scrimp , the economy (corporations and their employees) will feel the fallout .
from what i've read and heard about the "dirty thirties" , that's how it started out .
at first there were just a few thousand people that lost their jobs , but within a relatively short time a chain reaction started and eventually it was the world economy that started to get shaky .
let's hope that won't happen this time , but when i hear of more and more factories laying off workers , thousands of houses sitting empty , i'm beginning to feel just a little uncomfortable .

let's hope that governments , corporations and workers will be able to get us through this somewhat rough period by co-operating with each other !
here is HOPING !
hbg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:28 pm
There is actually a large section of austin that has homes.. some brand new.. some not.. that have sat open for 2 years or more.

I just had a small photography assignment in this neighborhood.

it is odd in its 'empty-ness'
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:40 pm
I can't effect the economy alone, but I can choose to be happy with less.

What am I talking about? I'm happy already!

"Stuff" never has made me happy.

I have pride in having a few nice things, and try to keep them that way, that in itself is an economy.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 07:12 pm
Today Diesel $AUD1.70/ litre

1 litre = .26 gall > 3.8 litres = 1 gall

3.8 * 1.70 = $6.46 AUD/ gall

Today $6.46 AUD = $6.03 USD/gall
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 08:37 pm
Chai wrote:
I can't effect the economy alone, but I can choose to be happy with less.

What am I talking about? I'm happy already!

"Stuff" never has made me happy.

I have pride in having a few nice things, and try to keep them that way, that in itself is an economy.

well honestly - you poop rainbows...what more do you need?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 08:55 pm
sugar scented farts Confused
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 05:05 am
shewolfnm wrote:
mismi wrote:

Really sticking to my guns, I have 2 boxes of just.. JUNK .. that is going to goodwill plus one large trash bag of clothes.

But, by then.. because they were a really cheap brand to begin with.. they are worn out, color faded. Small holes every where.. zipper doesnt quite work.. Yet, I keep them because I think I can wear them around the house
or when i am on the boat

well...you never know when you REALLY might need to hike

............yes, i know, I do that with T-SHIRTS - how many t-shirts do I need to hang on to in case I need to paint? or weed the garden? Okay - I'm motivated - cleaning out mode under way.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 05:53 am
The big wigs at the oil corporations will need the lower class to shine their shoes. If the lower class can't get to their shoeshine stands, then what.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 06:18 am
You know what alex?

I personally don't get much anymore from talk about "big wigs" and corporations. When that talk starts, it seems everyone becomes immobilized waiting for "them" or "someone" to do something.

Screw that. I'm taking a stand.

It's not that I can't get to their shoeshine stands, I don't want to, and more importantly, I don't need to.

A lot of people have been brainwashed to think they "need" so much, and change can only happen if "everyone" does something.

A favorite Sting lyric of mine is "Men go crazy in congregations, they only get better one by one."
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 06:23 am
My favorite lyric

"We don't need your democracy.
Execute them kindly for me.
Take them by their filthy nostrils
Put them up in doggy hostels.

We don't need your hypocrisy
Execute real democracy.
Post-industrial society
The unthinking majority

Anti-depressants
Controlling tools of your system
Making life more tolerable

Anti-depressants

Execute real democracy.
Post-industrial society
The unthinking majority

Anti-depressants

Anti-depressants

Execute real democracy.
Post-industrial society
The unthinking majority
Post-industrial society
The unthinking majority

Execute real democracy.
Post-industrial society
The unthinking majority
Post-industrial society
The unthinking majority

I believe that you're wrong
Insinuating they hold the bomb
Clearing the way for the oil brigade

Anti-depressants

Anti-depressants

Anti-depressants

Execute real democracy.
Post-industrial society
The unthinking majority

We don't need your democracy.
Execute them kindly for me.
Take them by their filthy nostrils
Put them up in doggy hostels.

"

well.. whole damn song..

and this isnt a song thread Embarrassed
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 06:38 am
mismi wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:
mismi wrote:

or when i am on the boat

well...you never know when you REALLY might need to hike

............yes, i know, I do that with T-SHIRTS - how many t-shirts do I need to hang on to in case I need to paint? or weed the garden? Okay - I'm motivated - cleaning out mode under way.

A few years back I developed what I think of as the uniform clothing system. I have some really good quality basics for "fancy wear". For winter it's be a cashmere sweater and light wool skirt. Summer is a linen blend dress with leather flats. The standard colors in my winter wardrobe are black, tan, grey, hunter green and brown. Summer colors navy, tan, moss green, and white. I own one very expensive long winter coat (black) that's a classic style and a couple of lighter, layerable coats that are more sporty.I like scarves and shawls that a least look handmade (most are not).

I do not need good clothing for work. It's all sweatshirts, T-shirts, capri pants and jeans. Good boots- hikers and welllingtons. Good sports bras and a couple of sexy ones. A couple of crushable hats for summer and one wool fedora for winter. Gloves of all kinds (career requires them). All this probably fits into two large suitcases, except the coats and footwear.

I found styles that I am comfortable in and I've stayed the same size for ten years (gets harder each year). I hate shopping. I shop maybe twice a year at season end sales (excluding boots). I like getting up and not having to think about "outfits". I can be dressed in fives minutes.

Someone once saw my closet and asked if we have ever been photographed for "Real Simple" magazine, I think the magazine is silly, but I took it as a compliment.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 06:46 am
We are on €1,49 per litre.
Can somebody do the maths please?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 07:04 am
€5,64
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 07:05 am
Can't help there Bohne...sorry

GW...I think that is awesome...I really do believe less is more. I have parents and in-laws that give stuff...all the time. I feel guilty getting rid of it. I just need to tell them to come hang out with us a bit to show us they love us and quit buying us stuff.

I have longed for what I call the "simple life". Owning less, owing less, enjoying being at the house or at friends houses. Cooking together, eating and drinking together.

The whole "soccer mom" mentality has never been one I loved...during baseball season I am forced into it for a few months but that is just because of 2 practices a week before games start then 2 games a week for 3 little boys. We actually really enjoy it for a short time. But I can't and don't want to keep that pace up all year long.

I like the basic wardrobe philosophy. In reality that is what I do anyway. I just have this idea in the back of my head that as soon as I get rid of the excess I will be sorry...I really don't believe it is something I can't get over though.

Great thread...very encouraging.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 07:13 am
Bohne wrote:
We are on €1,49 per litre.
Can somebody do the maths please?

The currency converter I used says $2.30 US (note to you Yanks, that's per LITRE). I know to Europeans it really sounds like we're whining. (I filled up for $1.19/L the other day.) Unfortunately North America was built on the automobile model. Many of our cities have lousy bus service (mine is awful) or worse yet none at all in smaller towns. Bikes are not great in knee deep snow.
0 Replies