Gas Prices

Green Witch

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 11:57 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Chai wrote:

Problem is, people will feel like they have to go out and buy "green" plastic crates from Crate and Barrel or something.

Can i buy pink? Or purple?

You can free ones at the beverage stores and that would count as recycling. Great for kiddy toys too.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 11:58 am
Michigan get's pretty hot in summer. And humid.

And there is no way to avoid heat in winter.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 12:22 pm
I believe the important this to remember in all this are those horribe words "reasonable" and "moderation"

Heat and A/C, depending on where you live can be absolute necessities.

We don't have to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

shewolf said it best about people feeling entitled to so much more than they really are.

I was thinking before about starting a thread called "What would happen if....?

Asking people what exactly would happen if they, let's say for a year, only bought things they needed, good food, gas for places they had a real reason to go to, clothes to replace items that have lived past their useful life, etc.

What would happen if everyone decided to not take a "go away" vacation this year? What if they spent their time off enjoying their home, sleeping in, getting some work done around the house?

What would happen if you gave gifts of warm socks or or a new pair of scissors or or something else useful for Christmas and birthdays....including the kids. I tend to think their hearts would mend over not getting the latest piece of plastic crap, especially if no other kid was getting it.

What would happen if you went to the library instead of the book store, played a board game that's been in the closet for years instead of renting/buying a video?

Let's play make believe....what would happen if.....?

Actually, I made it a point this morning of filling my gas tank, because it was May 1, and easy day to remember. I want to see how long I can get it to last.

I'm actually going to go on this journey, eschewing purchases of things I don't need, consolidating trips....for instance, I always buy groceries on Saturday, and make a special trip. There's a supermarket about a mile from work, on the way home...I see about shopping there Friday after work.

It will be interesting to see if I really notice a difference.

Wanna play?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 12:29 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

I know, I have relatives there. They live with fans because the nights are cool and they built a house (a little smaller than cjhsa's) that was designed to stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I live in a similar climate and have never needed A/C. Heat is another story and a sad one at that. All houses built in the last 20 years should have been designed to function with geothermal, but noooo, developers like to stick with antique technology that doesn't make them think too hard. Humans are determined to learn the hard way.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 12:40 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

I know, I have relatives there. They live with fans because the nights are cool and they built a house (a little smaller than cjhsa's) that was designed to stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I live in a similar climate and have never needed A/C. Heat is another story and a sad one at that. All houses built in the last 20 years should have been designed to function with geothermal, but noooo, developers like to stick with antique technology that doesn't make them think too hard. Humans are determined to learn the hard way.

I know what you mean though. Like, running the air when it's 70 out. I think that's silly when you can turn on a fan and open the windows.

When it's 80, hells no on the fan.

Course, my house has a lot of ceramic tile so it stays really cool.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 01:19 pm
Chai wrote:
yeah, the 101 pound woman dashing into whole foods to buy and organic beet, taking 15 minutes to first park her SUV. Yeah, she looks like she hauls a lot of construction stuff around Rolling Eyes

Another thing....selling these "green bags" to pack your groceries in?

What? You don't have 20 years worth of canvas totes laying around? Or some generic plastic crates?

It's not about saving the planet... it's about belonging:

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=28697
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 01:35 pm
Chai wrote:
I believe the important this to remember in all this are those horribe words "reasonable" and "moderation"

Heat and A/C, depending on where you live can be absolute necessities.

We don't have to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

shewolf said it best about people feeling entitled to so much more than they really are.

I was thinking before about starting a thread called "What would happen if....?

Asking people what exactly would happen if they, let's say for a year, only bought things they needed, good food, gas for places they had a real reason to go to, clothes to replace items that have lived past their useful life, etc.

What would happen if everyone decided to not take a "go away" vacation this year? What if they spent their time off enjoying their home, sleeping in, getting some work done around the house?

What would happen if you gave gifts of warm socks or or a new pair of scissors or or something else useful for Christmas and birthdays....including the kids. I tend to think their hearts would mend over not getting the latest piece of plastic crap, especially if no other kid was getting it.

What would happen if you went to the library instead of the book store, played a board game that's been in the closet for years instead of renting/buying a video?

Let's play make believe....what would happen if.....?

Actually, I made it a point this morning of filling my gas tank, because it was May 1, and easy day to remember. I want to see how long I can get it to last.

I'm actually going to go on this journey, eschewing purchases of things I don't need, consolidating trips....for instance, I always buy groceries on Saturday, and make a special trip. There's a supermarket about a mile from work, on the way home...I see about shopping there Friday after work.

It will be interesting to see if I really notice a difference.

Wanna play?

That sounds awesome Chai. I would love it...simpler, makes more sense...the thread sounds fun too....
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 02:56 pm
I don't have a car at all, so I don't notice the gas prices much. When I get a ride from a friend, tho, instead of offering a dollar or two "for gas", I start out with a five in my hand.

The supermarket is between my house and the bus stop, so I go in almost every evening and pick up some fresh veggies and whatnot for dinner. It's easier to carry home the TP and some carrots one day, salad greens and dog food the next.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 02:57 pm
I can give you all some gas for free.

Mr. Green
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 03:00 pm
We're all doomed anyway. Just submit to Bella's gas and get it over with.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 03:02 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

I know what you mean though. Like, running the air when it's 70 out. I think that's silly when you can turn on a fan and open the windows.

When it's 80, hells no on the fan.

Course, my house has a lot of ceramic tile so it stays really cool.

Try turning off the A/C at night and running window fans even on a hot night. I promise the house will be very cool by midnight and delightful by morning. Then close the windows in the morning and draw some interior light curtains to shade the rooms. We do have some alternative energy (not for cooling), but our monthly electric bill is only about $35 dollars even in the midst of summer. House is 1400 square feet.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 03:15 pm
Y aknow..

I think I am on board with Chai's game..

Ever since sparky the dryer stopped

I have NOT plugged it in ( of course )
But I have also not gone to a laundry mat.

I have a metal rack .
I wash only what i need to.

I hang up shirts if I only wear them for a little while
and the same with pants.

In fact, the only thing that is washed on a regular basis for EVERYONE-
socks, underware and dish towels.

Surprise surprise..
We can live quite well without a dryer..
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 03:17 pm
My husband and I are talking about just using the one car. Me driving him to work when I need the car and me staying home when he needs to go out at lunch and for meetings. This actually is hard for me to wrap my head around because I am so used to my freedom to hop in a car and go. But...it can be done...and everything gets easier once you get used to it right?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 03:25 pm
The question is WHERE do you 'really' feel you need to go?

Explore the local shopping center?
Buy more food before you eat what you have?

(im guilty of doing just that myself )
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 03:35 pm
It's true. There is no where I truly HAVE to be. Next year the kids will be riding the bus. So I can just sit here...everyday....by myself cleaning house and cooking...sheesh..that's not helping at all. Razz
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:35 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Y aknow..

I think I am on board with Chai's game..

Ever since sparky the dryer stopped

I have NOT plugged it in ( of course )
But I have also not gone to a laundry mat.

I have a metal rack .
I wash only what i need to.

I hang up shirts if I only wear them for a little while
and the same with pants.

In fact, the only thing that is washed on a regular basis for EVERYONE-
socks, underware and dish towels.

Surprise surprise..
We can live quite well without a dryer..

On Saturday I had to go to the laundramat a couple of blocks away, to wash a big comforter, too big for a regular washer.

After washing in their big ass washer for the price of 10 quarters, I didn't dry it there, but took it home.

The comforter actually did an important job. I was working on our walkway with some of that orange stripping stuff (supposed to be environmentally friendly) and the liquid had to sit on the cement a few hours. No going down our front steps. So, I draped comfy across the bannisters of the stairs going down.

Comfy got dried by Mr. Sun and kept everyone from using the stairs.

Actually, that got me thinking.....

We have two of those porch swings on our.....where else?.....porch.

They are those self standing jobs that has a frame, and the swing hangs from a horizontal bar.

Ready made clothes line...put damp shirts and pants on their hangers, hang them on the bar.

I don't think I'd display my undies in front of the house, but I don't care who sees the shirts and pants they see me wear all the time anyway.

All stuff we already have.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:41 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Chai wrote:
yeah, the 101 pound woman dashing into whole foods to buy and organic beet, taking 15 minutes to first park her SUV. Yeah, she looks like she hauls a lot of construction stuff around Rolling Eyes

Another thing....selling these "green bags" to pack your groceries in?

What? You don't have 20 years worth of canvas totes laying around? Or some generic plastic crates?

It's not about saving the planet... it's about belonging:

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=28697

IT'S IN OUR RIVERS AND LAKES!!!! Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

I love Penn and Teller.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:44 pm
A little metal rack can dry your towels in less then 20 minutes in the direct sun we have been getting in the last month.

I do my laundry on ' small load/ warm wash" which is REALLLLY short..

If you want your house to smell like fresh laundry, put a small fan on your clothes rack and aim it to the center of your home.
It helps keep things cool ( the cool moist air) and makes your house smell fresh.

You should have enough room in your back yard, if you have not buried all those mexicans yet, to have a small clothes line..

I have 2 of these. and I can keep a four year olds clothes clean... Husbands work clothes clean.. MY work clothes clean.. and towels fresh with one small load every other day.

I truly need nothing else.
And I am STILL shocked by that..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:50 pm
Same here. I don't need anything.

huh.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:52 pm
now

im on to thinning out my closet and my bedroom.

Lets see how much bullcrap I can get rid of in there..
0 Replies