or
$8.67 USD, if my math is right

3.785 litres per US gallon
$1,538 USD per EUR
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 07:22 am
Tai Chi wrote:

The currency converter I used says $2.30 US (note to you Yanks, that's per LITRE). I know to Europeans it really sounds like we're whining. (I filled up for $1.19/L the other day.) Unfortunately North America was built on the automobile model. Many of our cities have lousy bus service (mine is awful) or worse yet none at all in smaller towns. Bikes are not great in knee deep snow.

in the majority of our cities cars are almost mandatory.
We are not set up to allow foot traffic, bikes or other forms of transportation besides the car because city planners just ASSUME everyone will use a vehicle so they do not build accommodation's for anything else . Not even bus routes.
When you HAVE to rely on gasoline to just make your living, the prices really gouge you.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 07:43 am
Can someone post a fuel price for the US please.

per gall and USD will do, I can do the conversion my self.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 07:44 am
$3.54 a gallon here in Alabama
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 07:45 am
this morning in austin tx a gallon of regular was I think $3.50
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 07:48 am
Yesterday, at Westgate and Stassney, I found gas for 3.41
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 07:58 am
$3.78 NY
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 08:12 am
Yes .. yes.. yes.. Confused
It is cheaper here then in other countries..
But gasoline is not a major necessity either as it is here...

granted, you can live with out it. To a certain extent..
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 08:34 am
In the Capital Region of NY State (3.5 hr drive north from NYC nr VT/MA/CT borders), the avg TODAY is $3.753 gallon.

We pay more in gasoline taxes than anywhere else in country. When I just drive over to western Mass an hour east, the gas price drop 15 to 20 cents/gal and the same exact product gets transported the same distances from the refinery, too. the roads have the same type of weather to maintain. What we have here is far more expensive politicians to here. That's the difference. Spitzer had those hi $$$ call-girls to afford.

My gasoline price reporting s/w application has the US Avg price at $3.615 per US gallon.

Canadian avg price is $127.0 Canadian c/L
vs an avg price US converted to Can Currency
$103.8 Canadian c/L

So gas pricing works out to be 27% less in USA than Canada on avg, per same qty, in the same time frame.

Oh, and just to reflect the trend and the rate of price rise, the statistics on 30 days ago:

Last month:

Albany area $3.377 per gal/US

USA Avg $3.288/gal US
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 08:52 am
Good point about the taxes ragsie.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:14 am
Who's the thirstiest?
So, who's the thirstiest - the drivers or the poli-tricksters?

New York State gasoline tax is 59.6 cents/gallon for gas-powered vehicles
64.7 cents/gal for diesel-powered.
local county sales tax of between 3.125% to 4.75%

As compared to Mass ... next-door-neighbor state:
41.9 cents/gallon for gasoline-powered vehicles
47.9 cents/gallon for diesel-powered vehicles
2.5 cents/gal UST fund

Then for comparison, there's small VT (fairly rural...progressive)
Vermont
38.4 cents/gallon for gasoline-powered vehicles
50.4 cents/gallon for diesel-powered vehicles
1 cent/gal license fee for UST fund

Of course, then there's State of California:
State Taxes on Fuel Comparison:

63.9 cents/gallon for gasoline-powered vehicles
72.0 cents/gallon for diesel-powered vehicles
6% Sales Tax
1.25% county tax.
1.2 cents/gal state UST fee
plus ??? local sales tax

*the above rates are meant as only guidelines of pump taxes and may not represent the full tax amount at the pump.

*After crude oil costs, taxes are the second largest contributor to the price paid at the pump. Together Federal and State excise taxes on fuel account for an national average cost of approximately 62 cents per gallon. Rates include Federal excise taxes 18.4 cpg for gasoline and 24.4 cpg for diesel. cpg = cents per gallon
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 11:35 am
Diesel taxes in NM are 20.x per gallon. Colorado is 1/2 cent lower, and Utah is about a penny higher.

Good point, shewolf. The Netherlands usually has the highest gas prices in the world. They ride lots of bicycles, but I'm betting they don't live 20 miles from work, and don't have much in the way of what I would call hills.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 11:55 am
roger wrote:
Diesel taxes in NM are 20.x per gallon. Colorado is 1/2 cent lower, and Utah is about a penny higher.

Good point, shewolf. The Netherlands usually has the highest gas prices in the world. They ride lots of bicycles, but I'm betting they don't live 20 miles from work, and don't have much in the way of what I would call hills.

True, I lived in Europe for a year and never actually needed to drive. I once rented a car to go to a little touring on my own, but it was a choice. I could have gotten to the same places by bus and/or train.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 06:59 pm
£1..07.9 pence per litre which equates to £4..90.5 pence per gallon.

Prolly english gall so I'd stick with litres for conversion
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 02:51 am
With American prices here, I think people would be dancing in the streets...

I could use public transport (in theory), but it would take me about 90 minutes to get to day care and then to work instead of 30 minutes now!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 06:49 am
Bohne wrote:

I could use public transport (in theory), but it would take me about 90 minutes to get to day care and then to work instead of 30 minutes now!

My daily commute is 75 miles round trip. Even with my old eco-BMW it costs me about $10/day just to go to work. Many people have much longer commutes, or have to drive for a living. Europeans rarely have to travel as far as Americans do on a daily basis.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 07:08 am
mismi wrote:
Okay - I'm motivated - cleaning out mode under way.

to just go back to this part of the conversation for a minute..

I DID...

oh LORD I did clean out my house.

My entire bedroom.. took both of us working off and on all day.. is finally done.
We used to have 3 boxes in the corner stacked on top of each other full of those 'just in case' things.
My closet was over flowing to the point of monopolizing 2 of our 3 laundry baskets just to keep my clothes in.

5 bags of clothes
3 LARGE boxes and 3 bags of trash later, our floor is spotless.
The floor of my closet is almost bare
My clothes only take up about 1/3 of the closet space
AND!! AND! some of the stuff I was getting rid of, Iposted for sale on craigslist.
Yesterday after I got home from lunch, someone had called and left a message about buying some of that stuff.
I sold 90.00 bucks worth of my 'junk' Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 07:14 am
Green Witch wrote:

A few years back I developed what I think of as the uniform clothing system. I have some really good quality basics for "fancy wear". For winter it's be a cashmere sweater and light wool skirt. Summer is a linen blend dress with leather flats. The standard colors in my winter wardrobe are black, tan, grey, hunter green and brown. Summer colors navy, tan, moss green, and white. I own one very expensive long winter coat (black) that's a classic style and a couple of lighter, layerable coats that are more sporty.I like scarves and shawls that a least look handmade (most are not).

I do not need good clothing for work. It's all sweatshirts, T-shirts, capri pants and jeans. Good boots- hikers and welllingtons. Good sports bras and a couple of sexy ones. A couple of crushable hats for summer and one wool fedora for winter. Gloves of all kinds (career requires them). All this probably fits into two large suitcases, except the coats and footwear.

I found styles that I am comfortable in and I've stayed the same size for ten years (gets harder each year). I hate shopping. I shop maybe twice a year at season end sales (excluding boots). I like getting up and not having to think about "outfits". I can be dressed in fives minutes.

Someone once saw my closet and asked if we have ever been photographed for "Real Simple" magazine, I think the magazine is silly, but I took it as a compliment.

Let's all be honest.....how many of us really wear more than a few pieces of clothes anyway? We all have our favorites. We might have 12 shirts but we only wear 5-6 regularily because they are our favorites.

Or am I just weird?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 07:16 am
yes, but that's beside the point.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 07:16 am
Bohne wrote:

90 minutes would be a blessing if I took the bus here.
0 Replies