The A2K (virtual) Weight Loss Club !!

Noddy24

Tue 1 Mar, 2005 08:37 am
Useful words:

[From Greek sito- (food) + -phobia (fear, aversion).]

The word is also spelled as sitiophobia. Two related words are sitomania
(abnormal craving for food), and sitology (the study of nutrition).

"By the time (Mollie) Fancher took to her bed, sitophobia had turned
into 'chlorosis', a type of anaemia."
Kate Bolick; The Girl Who Lived On Air; The Guardian (London, UK);
May 6, 2002.

"To lower a child's weight is important, but (Jitsuo) Kitada warns
there are pitfalls in dieting as it places children in danger of
contracting sitophobia."
Overweight Children a 'Growing' Concern For Japanese Parents;
The Daily Yomiuri (Tokyo, Japan); Jul 6, 1996.

This week's theme: words related to eating and drinking.

www.wordsmith.org
0 Replies

duce

Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:04 am
Roger:

Give me some thin toughts. Do you mean tyring to visualise myself a size smaller and eating a carrot intead of having a cigarrette?

I hav no idea how thin people think?

JB:

I mean I know what I should do--like not eat the half gallon of ice ceam in two sittings. I know I should take the stairs vs the elevator. The truth is I am LAZY, I want the floor clean, but I don't want to sweep. I am trying to find something that will motivate me enough to get my self in gear and to stop BUYing food I cannot seem to resist.

IDEAS?
0 Replies

JPB

Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:11 pm
I'm at 171.5 today, my lowest of 2005!!! I'm hoping for 171 on Monday so I'm almost there. I've adjusted my goals down to a 1.5 pound loss per week instead of two pounds. If I see 171 on Monday that will be 9 lbs in 6 weeks and half way to 162. I was hoping to get there by Easter but it looks like it will take an extra month. Mr. B and I are going to Jazz Fest in New Orleans in late April so I'll set that as my target date.

Duce - I have a built-in medical motivator with my blood pressure. My parents were both on blood pressure meds, my maternal grandmother died as a result of her second stroke and three years ago, at the age of 46, I was faced with the decision between losing 20 - 25 lbs or going on bp meds. I didn't want to face 30 or more years of meds so I chose the diet route. It worked, my bp is normal and I keep myself in check knowing what the alternative is. Last year my brother was told to lose 100 pounds or plan on an early death. He's 6'6" tall but had crested 350 lbs. He lost 50 lbs last year and is working on the other 50 this year.

What are you missing out on by carrying your current weight? Is there a medical risk for you now (diabetes, coronary, circulatory) with your current weight? What can't you do as easily as you'd like? A motivator can be medical or emotional or plain old vanity. Goals can be large (lose 50 lbs or more) or small (lose 10% of your current body weight or drop one pant size). If motivation is the problem then I'd suggest a mini goal because it's achievable, of short duration, and might help motivate you towards a bigger goal later on. If you can come up with a motivator and a mini goal then perhaps we can help give you ideas on how to get there.

Here's a suggestion from Jorge Cruise, '8 Minutes in the Morning';

'Write down the three most important things in your life - your spouse, your family, financial freedom, your spirituality, and so on. Then ask yourself what you will gain by losing weight. Your answer to that question will help you create Passion Reasons...' Also,

'Have you ever been so angry, sad, or disappointed at something you had been doing that you finally said, "Enough! I will no longer do this!" That is what you must do right now. Make dissatisfaction work for you. It is one of the most valuable motivational tools you can use to ignite that spark inside you. What has being fat and unfit cost you in your career, your intimate relationships, your family relationships, and your personal happiness? Be honest with yourself. Dissatisfaction can provide you with the genesis of your success.'
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Tue 1 Mar, 2005 06:39 pm
Thanks for that J_B!
Crikey! I just wanna lose a kilo!! it seems the more I exercise the heavier I get! I am vegan so don't consume animal fat; I was told I had slightly elevated cholesterol so I don't do peanut butter anymore so where the heck is the fat coming from?? My husband is trying to lose weight so we don't keep sweets in the house. I am a stay at home housewife so we have all home cooked sit down meals....what am I doing wrong!!??
And man oh man, the breasts just keep on growing! I reckon once you are done nursing those things oughta just shrink into oblivion!
I WANT to do up ALL the buttons on my tops and dresses!
Thanks, needed to get that off my chest Wink
0 Replies

JPB

Wed 2 Mar, 2005 06:50 am
Yesterday's workout was intense. I was shaking when I left the club. I did 24 mins on the bike at level 4, 25 mins on the treadmill at 4.0 mph and biceps/triceps/shoulder exercises. I used a 27lb body bar for the biceps and triceps instead of the 15lb dumbbells I usually use. It's less total weight but I was able to isolate the muscles rather than cheat with my wrists. Foodwise I did well also. I stayed slightly under 1400 cals. The end result - down 0.5 to 171 which is my target weight for next Monday.

I'm going to stay focused as best I can with Mr B off in Las Vegas. If I'm able to maintain through the weekend (dare I say, or lose a bit more) then I'll know my adjustment made last week is the answer and have hope that I've finally got a handle on this.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Wed 2 Mar, 2005 08:46 am
Another useful word:

polyphagia (pol-ee-FAY-jee-uh) noun

1. Excessive appetite or eating.

2. The habit of feeding on many kinds of food.

[From Modern Latin, from Greek polyphagia, from polyphagos,
from poly- (much, many) + phagy (eating).]

"Various diseases, drugs and even stress can cause polyphagia.
Your first step should be to have Buster examined by your
veterinarian and have the caloric intake calculated."
Bernhard Pukay; Various Things Can Make Puppy Eat Like a Pig;
The Ottawa Citizen (Canada); Jan 27, 2003.

This week's theme: words related to eating and drinking.

www.wordsmith.org
0 Replies

Noddy24

Wed 2 Mar, 2005 08:56 am
I find dieting in winter very difficult. Because of my fragile bones I'm trapped in the house whenever there is ice underfoot or the prospect of ice underfoot.

I have SAD. (One of the symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder is overeating). I also have a sunshine box, but because of household schedules I can't alway use it first thing in the morning when the increased light is most effective.

By genes and maternal example I'm geared to hunker down and endure petty irritation--and reward myself with something absolutely delicious.
This winter has provided plenty of petty irritations--and two major troubles as well.

I've gained only about 7 pounds over this winter--not good, but not nearly as bad as it might be.

Eat less. Move more. Don't nibble automatically. Don't have second helpings for at least 20 minutes. Portion control: Keep the first helping small.

I know what I have to do--keep reminding myself that I am not going to be thinner tomorrow unless I eat less and move more today.
0 Replies

JPB

Wed 2 Mar, 2005 01:19 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

Eat less. Move more. Don't nibble automatically. Don't have second helpings for at least 20 minutes. Portion control: Keep the first helping small.

That'd make a great mantra!

Spring is coming. I can feel the lengthening days. There are no other outward signs. The ground is still white, the bushes still bare, but I can feel it.

My neighbor strong-armed me into walking outdoors today. It was 14 degs F. I had three layers on the bottom and four on top but we managed to complete four miles in about 70 minutes. I don't usually walk outside this time of year and certainly not when it's this cold but the fresh air was nice. I wish I could say we heard song birds or saw some other sign of spring but still, it was nice to be outside. Besides the walk I did some ab exercises.

Mr B's flight landed safely. I didn't fall into a bag of chips while waiting as I've been known to do. I made an omelette for breakfast and I'll have a turkey wrap with veggies for lunch. Dinner with the ladies is up for grabs; maybe leftovers, maybe I'll take them out.
0 Replies

George

Wed 2 Mar, 2005 01:23 pm
J_B~
I am in awe!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Wed 2 Mar, 2005 01:40 pm
J_B--

Keeping warm burns extra calories on winter walks, but I'm reserving my congratulations for you passing on the potato chips.

Mind over matter.
0 Replies

JPB

Wed 2 Mar, 2005 01:55 pm
Thank you, George.

Thank you, Noddy.
0 Replies

Diane

Wed 2 Mar, 2005 06:41 pm
Here I am again after being missing in action for--who know how long?

Having started the Atkins Diet (the only diet that I can stay on for longer than a month) I was doing well. My weight was down about five pounds and I was feeling very good. I have a wonderful goal--lose 30 pounds by the end of April, when Dys and I go to Europe. I especially want to look good for The Prince. He is such a fashion plate and I don't want to feel like a drudge when we meet.

Polyphagia. Yes, Noddy, that describes it. Sugar does it to me. Like a junkie, a candy bar or cookie can trigger a craving that won't stop, even when I feel terrible from too much sugar. I have diabetes which is normally under control, but when I go through these destructive spells, diabetes doesn't enter into my decision making.

So, I have had a good day, eating eggs, nuts and one apple. The difference in mood is noticable as is my sense of well-being.

Do you think that insanity is brought about by knowing what you are doing is destructive, but doing it anyway? I have an intellectual knowledge of nutrition and what my body and my mind need to function well, but my emotions can throw that into chaos. It drives me crazy!

No more complaining--I'm on my way to feeling healthy again, which is far more important than looking good for friends in Europe.

Oh, another thing, you all are inspiring in your willingness to keep trying. Thank you to all.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Thu 3 Mar, 2005 03:51 am
yahoo!!
I made it to the gym today!! I sure as hell did NOT want to go there! I am glad I went as I had my best day ever down there Smile I ran an entire 4 kms! I am working my way up to a 10km.
I am also starting on the stationery bike. There is a lovely bike track along the Brisbane river just over the road but there are a couple of weenzy hills and they bust my back something fierce. Anyway, I thought if I started riding the stationery bike those lil wee hills won't hurt anymore Smile
Have a good one eveybody!
0 Replies

material girl

Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:12 am
Well done you!!

I went to the gym last night and stayed for an hour and a half instead of my usual hour.Sadly not due to a newly discovered dedication to getting fit, there was something good on the Tv so I stayed and walked for an hour to watch all of it.

I saw an improvment this morning.My stomach started not from its usual point,below the bust, but a little way down from it.I was momentarily whisked back a couple of years to my trimmer days.
Ah the good old days.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:14 am
Racing through here.... good morning all..

down to 229.2 which is little losses four days in a row....

Noddy: don't you just love Wordsmith.org?? It's about the only thing that teachs me something new almost every day.

go for it ya'll

Joe( you can tell I'm tired if I'm speaking Oklahoman) Nation
0 Replies

George

Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:17 am
Still at 176. Worse yet, next week is a week of off-site classes, disrupting my workout schedule and tempting me with breakfast fat-bombs.

Going to do a shoulder workout today, maybe with a warmup on the rower.

Hi Diane, welcome back.

Good goin', AS & MG, you little gym rats, you.

Joe - steadiness is all.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:46 am
Holding at 131, despite my contrary lymph glands.

Diane--

Every pound is one less pound to carry around with you when sightseeing.

Ay--

Just the battle with inertia that got you to the gym should have burned calories.

Material Girl--

Motion counts--not motivation. If you stayed and walked for an extra half hour while watching tv, that counts in the plus column. If you'd stayed and gobbled bon-bons, that would be a minus.

Joe--

229.2? By the weekend you may be whittling away at another whole number.

Would that I could remember all the lovely, new vocabulary words. I love non-weight bearing additions to my mental structure.

George--

Cholesterol may sabotage you first thing in the morning, but I suspect you enjoy exercise.

Hold dominions, all.
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 3 Mar, 2005 12:17 pm
Last week I determined that my ability to lose weight during the week and then regain most of it over the weekend was a pattern that needed to stop. I assessed my weekend lifestyle and realized the number one difference between Monday - Thursday and Friday - Sunday is alcohol, wine primarily. I decided to abstain until I reached my goal weight of 162. It's been working fabulously. I lost 0.5 lbs between last Friday - Sunday and I've lost more during the week this week.

Last night I went to a council meeting at our church. Wine was served and I had a glass. Then I had another. I arrived home and poured another from a bottle of wine that Mr B and I had opened over a week ago. Today I feel like crap which is a good thing, I guess. I deserve to feel like crap. I woke up this morning not nearly ready to face the day but I forced myself to go over to the club and do a 24 minute hill routine on the bike at level 5 (higher than I usually ride). I thought I could sweat it out. After my ride I did hamstring and quad exercises. My efforts worked somewhat in that I no longer feel like crap but I still feel low. UGH! Lesson learned, at least until the next time. Confession is good for the soul.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:23 pm
J_B--

I know exactly what you mean. My nightcaps are gumming up the wheels of progress.
0 Replies

George

Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:33 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
...My nightcaps are gumming up the wheels of progress.

Boy, did I just get a bizarre mental image!
0 Replies