The A2K (virtual) Weight Loss Club !!

JPB

Sat 26 Feb, 2005 09:54 am
Good to see you again Ay. Good job on getting back into shape. Let us know how you do with the 5K.

Speaking of missing partners.... Did George give up his diet for Lent?
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Sat 26 Feb, 2005 03:18 pm
Smile
Oh, I feel good...like I knew that I would....
Maybe I should get my scale checked coz it just never dispalys any other numbers than the ones I see each morning Razz
Damn thing MUST be broken, right?
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Sat 26 Feb, 2005 03:31 pm
No gym yesterday and it sure feels like it. My husband is planning on taking me adventuring today! I am looking forward to it and then definitely back to the gym tomorrow! I typically find it a lil more difficult to get to the gym on the weekend as I go to the shops first thing in the morn (wait! that is a two km walk!) and then am away most of the day at Michael's baseball game ( oh and that is another 3 km walk ( more like run) from train station to train station then a walk to the ball field from the train station) Righty, guess I DO get a bit of exercise in on Saturday Smile
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Sat 26 Feb, 2005 03:46 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
J_B--

Do not despair--and most definitely, do not console yourself with a chocolate eclair. The older you get, the more possessive your body gets about every single little fat cell. You can outwit your body--it will just take more effort than it used to.

The older you get...nevermind then, my scales are not broken, I am just old! Seriously though, I do find it takes way more effort these days. I reckon I just need to fool the rest of my body into thinking I am still ...25!
And I know how you feel J_B, I eat sensibly, walk a hell of a lot, and now go to the gym pretty much every day but still the same digits on the scale Razz
Last night when I could not sleep...who sleeps in Australian heat anyway!!??... I thought of sabotaging my efforts by eating a great big bowl of cereal but thought 'meh, then i will just be bitchy tomorrow coz i ate in the middle of the night' so I went online instead...can't eat and type at the same time Wink
Stick to your guns J_B, it is worth it, you are worth it Smile
0 Replies

George

Sat 26 Feb, 2005 05:12 pm
J_B wrote:
...Speaking of missing partners.... Did George give up his diet for Lent?

Nah, just coffee (Easter cannot come soon enough!)

I spent a week training offsite. (No internet access, the heartless beasts.)

They had lovely muffins or pastry every morning. So of course I just
ignored them, right? Wrong.

So I've had to work extra hard to get the weight back down. Talk about
atonement!

But now back to my regular schedule.
0 Replies

George

Sat 26 Feb, 2005 05:22 pm
Ay Sontespli~
Will it be your first marathon?
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQAAAG8VtPxZfJbxyaNU8hMMFyo0tp1Z2lnen4EKtjlsiFr*FDLvdKREAWbwk2hQh6gjUaBBVWCkjiPgf1m55GX64U6vB28yUmeistQbmeE/marathon.jpg
I did one back in '83 and that was enough.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Sat 26 Feb, 2005 10:09 pm
Hi George,

No marathons for me just yet! I fell and injured my back in March 2002 and am just now starting to run again. I am looking forward to running in a 5km fun run next weekend and hope to run a half marathon by the end of 2005. My dad (RIP) ran in over 60 marathons and he gave me a golden running shoe pendant purchased at the 100th running of the Boston Marathon with the stipulation that one day I run a marathon...I have been working towards that goal ever since Smile Hopefully by the end of 2006 I will be able to say that I have run a marathon!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:02 am
I had a bad week. Almost a four pound gain. I'd blame my right hand, but it appears connected to my brain in some way.

It is a known fact that eating Indian food on a weekday will cause a weak week.

I was abducted by a person purporting to be Noddy but who shoveled in the Vindaloo with such verve that I felt compelled to follow, all while being mesmerized by her scintillating conversation, please pass the Na-an. and some of that sauce.

I also had to attend a dinner on Friday night, I wouldn't have gone except that I felt obligated. I mean I have been married to her for seventeen years so the least I can do is show up and enjoy the company. Oh, and about 4,000 calories of lamb, gin, a wine selected by the owner and these little teeny chocolates that explode when they reach your waistline.

reset.

Joe( more of him than ever)Nation
0 Replies

Noddy24

Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:51 pm
Joe and I did have dinner together and I'm happy to report that his conversation is as delightful as his written prose. He's a charmer.

As he observes, the Indian food was delicious--but some of us had doggie bags and some of us did not. I'm very particular about my gluttony and try to avoid sharing deadly sins with other people.

Weigh in tomorrow--I'm hoping to lose five stubborn pounds in March.
0 Replies

JPB

Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:28 am
I was pleased with the 173.5 I saw on the scale this morning. It's still in my same 'ol range but today is Monday, my highest day of the week. This is my lowest Monday weigh-in this year so I'll take that as a good thing and pat myself on the back for a weekend done right. Off to the club for some cardio and chest/back exercises.
0 Replies

George

Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:31 am
Awright, J_B!
I rang up a 176 and am thoroughly disgusted with myself.
0 Replies

material girl

Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:37 am
I was told by a pal last friday that she thought Id lost weigh,hooorah!!
I havnt but it was nice to hear.
I also got back into the gym yesterday.

Do any of you have gym membership?
Do youthink its a good idea.It would definately work out cheaper but did you find you started not to go after a while?
0 Replies

JPB

Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:59 am
I've been going to the gym for about three years. I go at least twice a week year round and more in the winter because I live in the snow belt. This time of year I'll go 5 or 6 days a week. Mr B has been going regularly for the past 5 years. He's a runner and runs when the weather allows. He's been lifting weights for the past 8 years and started going to the gym when the equipment we had became too easy for him. We both prefer to get our cardio outdoors but will use the gym when necessary.

Also, if you join a gym you can take any number of different classes offered. I prefer my own workouts but a lot of people like the classes.

s'ok George. Back in the saddle..., you too Joe.
0 Replies

George

Mon 28 Feb, 2005 10:11 am
I'm pretty lucky. The company I work for maintains showers and
a "fitness room" in our building. I get to exercise at lunch.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Mon 28 Feb, 2005 10:14 am
This morning I weighed 131--perhaps a hair under. Yesterday I resumed upper-body-exercises-with-weights and a half hour stint on the exercycle.

Spring this year starts on March 20--three weeks away. By the first day of spring I'd like to be down to 128-129--in spite of snow and cabin fever and self-indulgence.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Mon 28 Feb, 2005 10:22 am
Hi everyone!! I weigh between 130 and 140 lbs... depends on the month.. but five months ago I weighed between 120 and 125lbs.. and I want to be that weight again... but I can't find the motivation to exercise and diet... any suggestions??

P.S. when I was sixteen I weighed maybe 175lbs and lost about 50 lbs in the matter of a few months... how come I can't do it again??? Now whenever I try to lose weight I swear I gain it!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Mon 28 Feb, 2005 12:31 pm
Crazielady--

Scientific research suggests that the body has a cellular memory of "ideal weight". As far as your body is concerned, at 175 you were a fine figure of a woman--and you can be so again.

Obviously this cellular memory is more useful when you are recovering from famine than when you're surrounded by plenty--and trying to surround plenty.

Also, when you lose weight you don't lose complete fat cells, just the contents of fat cells. Eventually the cell walls are reabsorbed (and the blood vessels and nerve endings are diverted to other usues) but for as long as seven years you have hundreds of thousands of empty fat cells just waiting to be filled up again.

To lose weight you must burn more energy than you consume. The older and wiser you get, the more staid your metabolism grows. You move less. Even if you don't eat more, moving less will pack on the pounds.

Believe me, if I knew of a magic wand for weight loss, I'd be thin instead of dieting.

Material Girl--

Joining a gym and actually using the benefits that you've paid for can be a good idea for people who budget carefully and hate to waste money.

Do you enjoy your gym sessions? Even if you've paid perfectly good money for a gym membership, if you don't enjoy the sessions you're likely to waste your money.

Can you find an exercise partner at the gym? Someone to reinforce your routine in a pleasant way?

Personally, I'd rather slip exercises into my home routine than pick a time of day to drive and get all hot and sweaty, but I'm a woman with unpredictable demands on my time and can easily be derailed by other people's problems.
0 Replies

JPB

Mon 28 Feb, 2005 03:36 pm
Each time you try to take off the weight it will be a little bit harder. You've put on about 10 lbs in the last 5 months, and based on some of your other discussions, it's reasonable to assume you've been doing some stress-induced emotional eating. It's hard to try to motivate yourself to lose weight when the extra food you're eating is serving a different purpose.

Quote:
Now whenever I try to lose weight I swear I gain it!

Ditto what I said above. You try to lose weight and get frustrated because it doesn't come off as easily as before so you add more stress on top of the stress you're already under and end up eating more to boot.

I was thinking about you yesterday and was thinking of bumping up your other thread to ask how you're doing. Somehow I think once that issue is resolved you weight will resolve along with it. I think I'll go do that now. You can choose to answer or not of course.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Mon 28 Feb, 2005 06:57 pm
That's it ! I quit trying to lose weight...it doesn't want to leave!
Ah well, I will be content working out everyday and see where that takes me Smile
As long as you feel healthy right?
Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Mon 28 Feb, 2005 07:36 pm
After exercise:

http://www.cartoonbank.com/product_details.asp?mscssid=VEFF9GBBKUFE8N95P22EH4RLG09T6289&sitetype=1&did=4&sid=40249&whichpage=4&sortBy=popular&keyword=diets&section=cartoons