The A2K (virtual) Weight Loss Club !!

Noddy24

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 06:22 am
Joe Nation--

Evidently your body noticed that it was not being maintained in the style to which it had become accustomed. Perhaps there is something about that X32 milestone. I'm despairing of getting more than a shade under 132.

Cav--

I admire your creative approach to your liver disaster. Given the number of heavy drinkers in this world, AA members might be very interested in a Liver Friendly Cookbook.
0 Replies

George

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 06:35 am
Just jumping in to say "Hi". Heavy rains caused a sewage backup into the bathroom in my basement so I am spending a lot of time and energy in cleanup. Paying no attention to diet, but lost another pound anyway.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 06:36 am
Sadly Noddy, I have a feeling that heavy drinkers wouldn't bother to cook the recipes. Rolling Eyes The AA thing is interesting, though. I might look into it. My condition is fatty liver disease, which effects a fairly large part of the population, between 15-20%, most of whom live their lives with no symptoms (about 80% of those who get it). There are many reasons for why this happens, and obesity is one of them. Namely, you do not have be a drinker to get it. I'm going to start a thread about it and gauge interest...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:57 am
seems you are doing quite well, cav! truly admirable, i would most likely dissolve into a pile self-pity and rage against the world.
i have been holding my dominion. going to the gym for the past few weeks almost everyday. twice yesterday - once for cardio and weights, second time for pool and sauna. not much weight loss though, (maybe 2-3 pounds), but i think i can see some significant changes already. so perhaps i am building some serious muscle mass and shedding fat. yes, most certainly so. off to the gym again!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:46 am
dagmaraka--

If you were already skinny, I'd hate you. Well begun is half done and in the spring of the year, much is possible.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

eoe

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:54 am
Fooled around with the Body Trainer's resistance bands this morning and maxed out on the reps. Will see how I feel tomorrow. I'm not ready to do a second set yet. I can't be. I've been laying around now doing nothing for over a year.
Noddy, I am from the no pain, no gain school of thought. It's always been my understanding that if you're not feeling a little bit of stiffness the next day after starting a new workout, you've wasted your time. I'm not looking to 'feel the burn' and never again want to experience the pain of an 'ignorant' workout, stupidly trying to rebuild the world in one day, but I do expect to feel my muscles asking me what in the hell is going on (ha-ha), at least, in the beginning.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 11:46 am
eoe--

I am never going to take a hike with you. Ever! Ever! Ever! So there!

If you want mild to moderate suffering, go for it. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:13 pm
yah, i hear you eoe. i averaged a heartbeat of 170 per minute - the workout on the eliptical lasted 35 mins. i always do that. i started, 2 weeks ago, at resistance level 6, thinking i'll get to do the workout at a lesser heartbeat level, but no. as soon as i felt capable, i went up to 8, and now am at 10. heartbeat still the same. i love to push myself. spent 35 mins on that thing, 1/2 hour in the weight room and another 1/2 hour in the pool. thankgod for being only part-time employed. i wonder what will happen when i'll start a regular job one day ?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:28 pm
Dag

It sounds as if you are quite fit already. Check whether you are in the "aerobic/cardio improvement" range, which gets you fitter or the (lower heart rate) "fat burning" range.

You have to be slower and work longer but less hard to burn fat quickly...I find it difficult to keep to that sort of pace - I keep wanting to go faster.

If you use a heart rate monitor consistently, you will begin to find the rate which you can maintain for each type of exercise.

For me, the range which doesn't wear me out in 5 minutes is around:

130 for swimming
140 for cycling
160 for running

Any more than that for more than a couple of minutes and I get muscle fatigue/lactic acid build up and then the rest of the session is a struggle.

Everyone has different ranges, of course. For me, 170 is too high to maintain for more than about 5 minutes!
0 Replies

ctrl

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 05:00 pm
well hi im new i just started to diet and work out 4 days ago im

i want to get around 250ish i know it will take a while but hope so i work out every other day untill i feel i can do more cause i never have worked out lol -_- so every other day i jog/walk situps liftweights etc but ya

oh and the diet im doing is the ATkins one my family has lost alot of weight on it my mother 250pnds my sister 150 i do it right make sure to take all my vitamens etc
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 05:16 pm
Hi ctrl,
welcome and join the ranks! here you'll find encouragement and peer support. we are all trying to do the same, lose some weight and get fit!
kp,
i checked, i stay in 'cardio' range for about 5 mins and i am 'over limits' for the remaining 30. well, i try to slow down after 15 mins to get at least into the cardio range and do a thourough cooldown, but alas, i can't help it! especially with frank black or offspring in my cd-man! max. heartrate was 180. that is way too much, and i know. i just may have to take it outside and bike/jog. but i love the gym routine, good way to start a day. i'll see. maybe i should find a trainer to work with. would love to compete in road biking- i have lots of push and endurance, used to be pretty good, but need to work on it. maybe this summer....hmmm. tempting, very tempting.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 05:39 pm
All you physical types:

Ctrl posted his own thread earlier this evening. He's been checked out by a doctor (slight heart murmur, nothing to worry about) but if he really pushes himself on exercise, he gets a bit dizzy.

My well-read, but uncredentialed advice, is that when he gets dizzy he ought to pause, recoup and then start over.

Does anyone have better advise for him?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:07 am
ctrl

Go for it and welcome!

dag

Don't go by the machine ranges - every one of us is different. I couldn't maintain 180 for more than 2 minutes, as it's about 95% of maximum for me...for you, max could be 220, so you can push to higher rates.

If you get yourself your own monitor (e.g. Polar) then you can go for runs outside/cycle and still have an idea of how hard you are pushing yourself. It's all relative to your own limits, which you'll soon get used to.

KP
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:14 am
Plunging towards 230. 230.4 this am.

I am from the yogic school of exercise. One should feel exercised after a workout but not sore. Underline the not sore. Whether you are doing reps or running or just walking fast, soreness afterwards is a warning. Reduce by a factor of 25% whatever activity brought about the warning and then see if sorenesss reappears. If there is no soreness then stay at that level until it feels easy, then upgrade yourself and see what results.

Joe
0 Replies

Noddy24

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:58 am
Joe--

We're in sync--my scales read 130 this morning. I wouldn't call the king my cousin.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

George

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 06:44 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I wouldn't call the king my cousin.

Say what?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:52 am
I'm just so proud and happy that I wouldn't call the king my cousin--or the queen either. I'm floating above mortal royality.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 02:24 pm
ha, that is goooood, noddy! and motivating. off i go for a run. i could have bought the heart rate monitor, but i spent the equivalent (i hear they are about $100) on silly clothing items. you know. spring. can't resist it. plus need to get blinkers and driver side window fixed. they're all on strike. against me. so i will just go by the dizziness factor myself for now. beatiful weather out there! must go for a run immediately!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:27 pm
...and am back, after 70 mins!!! ran at least 60 mins, walked a little in the middle. feels good. swimming tomorrow. resolve!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:30 pm
dagmaraka--

I'm envious of your energy. Burn, calories! Burn.
0 Replies