Mother of dead soldier really pissed at Bush

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 03:50 pm
Do we see any neocons volunteering their parents, children, and siblings to fight this war? What'sa matter? Cost too high for something that doesn't protect the American People? Seems the national guard and marines are required to put in two-three years in Iraq and Afghanistan cause "we're making progress." Just so happens more soldiers and Iraqis are getting killed.

Anybody that goes AWOL while in the military shouldn't have the opportunity to become Commander in Chief. There's something drastically wrong with the current system that allows it.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 04:04 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Do we see any neocons volunteering their parents, children, and siblings to fight this war? What'sa matter? Cost too high for something that doesn't protect the American People? Seems the national guard and marines are required to put in two-three years in Iraq and Afghanistan cause "we're making progress." Just so happens more soldiers and Iraqis are getting killed.

Anybody that goes AWOL while in the military shouldn't have the opportunity to become Commander in Chief. There's something drastically wrong with the current system that allows it.

man, ya gotta be joking. the neo-cons just think the s**t up. they leave the dirty work to other, less important people.

i don't really think that it's essential for a president to have been in the military. but a lot of folks do and it really surprises me when they ignore the facts that, one way or another, dubya didn't really do his duty.

meanwhile those same dubya lovers were thrilled by the sliming of john kerry, who actually volunteered for combat duty in an unpopular war, and even slimed his citations. all of those assertions were proven false, yet no apologies.

see, it's not about patriotism, it's all about partisanship, money and social agenda.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 04:08 pm
dtom, I'm not say'n they shouldn't become the Commander in Chief if they never served; only people who went AWOL while serving.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 04:20 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
dtom, I'm not say'n they shouldn't become the Commander in Chief if they never served; only people who went AWOL while serving.

naw, didn't mean to imply you did.

btw, i seem to have read somewhere in your posts that you're a vet. is that correct ?

i only ask because it seems like an awful lot of older guys i talk to that are, for various reasons, against the iraq war are vets. usually with combat experience.

if you prefer not to answer that one it's cool. just curious. Cool
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 04:50 pm
This pretty much seems to sum up the view from the Right on this:

Click for Image

Conservative radio host Mike Gallagher gathered a group of like-minded troglodytes and headed over to the Bush compound in Crawford to harass Cindy Sheehan and her group last night.

As Ms. Sheehan and the "Camp Casey" protesters sang America The Beautiful or stood quietly, the right-wing group chanted "we don't care" at the mother who lost her son, Casey, to Bush's war in Iraq.

Source
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:01 pm
Yeah, remember those Vietnam Vets against Kerry? Most of them didn't even serve in the same area when Kerry was on duty in Vietnam.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:05 pm
I served during peace time in the US Air Force. Served one year in Morocco about 30 miles north of Marrakech. It was tough duty; several guys went crazy, because they couldn't handle the isolation and all that dust.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:18 pm
More on Mike Gallagher - Right Wing Radio Talk Show Host and Fox "contributor."

Quote:
Mike's proudest achievement is his family. Mike and his wife Denise live in New York City and the Dallas area. Their four boys, Bryan, Trevor, Matthew and Micah have "sprung the nest" and are living all over the country either going to college or working.

Source

Wow! Four boys of military age. Between them, Jenna and Barbara they could put a dent in those military enrollment numbers and make their families proud.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:22 pm
And, yet another example of the hypocrisy of the right: http://www.gallaghersarmy.com/
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 06:58 pm
squinney wrote:
And, yet another example of the hypocrisy of the right: http://www.gallaghersarmy.com/

good grief. another frackin' (thank you battlestar gallactica :wink: ).....

[size=28]CHICKENHAWK BLOWHARD[/size]
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:06 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I served during peace time in the US Air Force. Served one year in Morocco about 30 miles north of Marrakech. It was tough duty; several guys went crazy, because they couldn't handle the isolation and all that dust.

interesting, morrocco.

guess you have a better idea than a lot of us about the way that the arab mind works. firsthand. my dad was in north africa for a short while prepping for the invasion of italy, before heading to normandy.

he's told me quite a few things over the years, which along with my experiences with middle easterners here in los angeles, lead me to believe that the people running the country right now don't really get what those people are about.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:47 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
BTW, for you Bush-lovers, lawful demonstration in this country is acceptable behavior - in case you didn't know. This administration and all you nocons only want to sqash people who disagree with you and this war. "Freedom of Speech" is one of our civil rights.

This is true,as long as those lawful demonstrations do not block public highways or infringe on private property.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:48 pm
dtom, We really never mixed all that much with the Arab community, although one guy in our squadron married one. We attended his wedding in Marrakech. While stationed in Morocco, I had the opportunity to visit Casablanca, Tangier, Madrid, Paris, and London - in addition to Marrakech. That's when the travel bug sunk it's teeth into my blood, and I've been traveling ever since. Been to about 100 countries, but only about 80 that counts towards the Century Travel Club. They don't count flying to Mt Everest or dipping your hand and/or feet in the Dead Sea - the highest point on earth, and the lowest point on earth as the crow flies. Getting back to my US Air Force four year stint. One of my oldest friend is a guy I met in Morocco. We kept in touch after we returned to the states, and have exchanged Christmas cards for the past forty-five plus years. I visited him several times when he lived in Omaha many lifetimes ago. He now lives in Texas.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:19 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
dtom, We really never mixed all that much with the Arab community, although one guy in our squadron married one. We attended his wedding in Marrakech. While stationed in Morocco, I had the opportunity to visit Casablanca, Tangier, Madrid, Paris, and London - in addition to Marrakech. That's when the travel bug sunk it's teeth into my blood, and I've been traveling ever since. Been to about 100 countries, but only about 80 that counts towards the Century Travel Club. They don't count flying to Mt Everest or dipping your hand and/or feet in the Dead Sea - the highest point on earth, and the lowest point on earth as the crow flies. Getting back to my US Air Force four year stint. One of my oldest friend is a guy I met in Morocco. We kept in touch after we returned to the states, and have exchanged Christmas cards for the past forty-five plus years. I visited him several times when he lived in Omaha many lifetimes ago. He now lives in Texas.

cool beans, c.i. you probably still have a better grip on the big wide world than most of us.

i've been to niagra falls and tijuana. all i can remember about either one is that they were wet. Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 09:39 am
The bars in Tijuana are really wet with endless pitchers of beer. Did you see Niagra Falls from the tower? That view is really awesome!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 11:14 am
Local Paper Records Shots Fired at Sheehan Camp in Texas
A Texas wacko more concerned about his morning view than the war in Iraq. ---BBB

By E&P Staff
Published: August 14, 2005 12:55 PM ET

NEW YORK Showing the value of its nearly round-the-clock coverage, the Lone Star Iconoclast, a weekly in Crawford, Texas, reported this morning from the scene that shots had been fired near the Cindy Sheehan antiwar encampment near the Bush ranch, which has drawn national attention.

Apparently they were fired by a local landowner none too pleased with the protest in his neighborhood.

Earlier this week, the Houston Chronicle talked to the neghbor, Larry Mattlage. Sitting on a tractor across the road, Mattlage said he supported the right to protest but that the demonstrators should not be allowed to stay for prolonged periods. "In the morning I usually wake up and see the morning sun," he said. "Now I wake up to stuff hanging in trees."

Here is today's Iconoclast report, as phoned in by its staffer, Deborah Mathews, on the scene:

Let me read you the schedule posted on a tree: "9:15 camp meeting; 10 a.m. inter-faith service, 10:30 a.m., "Food-Not-Bombs Breakfast at Peace House," and....

Wait! Someone is firing a gun. (pause). He fired it into the air about five times. He appears to be a local inside the fence line on private property. Now he has thrown what looks like a shotgun into the front seat of a pickup, and he's stomping off out of sight. I wonder where he went.

Now he's coming back out. I'm out here standing on the road. He's got a no parking sign in his hand, walking toward his fence. I'm going to go try to talk to him. I've got to hang up.

(three minutes later)

I went over and talked to the man. He is Larry Mattlage, who says he is on his property and just posted a no-parking sign.

"We're going to start doing our war and it's going to be underneath the law," he told me. "Whatever it takes. So y'all go find another place to do whatever you do. 'Cause this is our front yard and back yard."

I asked, "Do you mean the protestors?"

Wait.....now there's some Secret Service and cops. I'm going to get closer to hear what they're saying. People in bullet-proof vests are here now. Two Secret Service agents are now walking up his driveway towards his house, with Mr. Mattlage. A member of the Sheriff's Department has arrived. Mr. Mattlage is waving his arms now. All of them are now walking back this way.

Now they are between the lane and the house. He's at the fence now. Let me record what they are saying. I'll call right back.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 11:49 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
The bars in Tijuana are really wet with endless pitchers of beer.

ah, si! haven't been for a while, but seem to remember having a pretty damn good time at tilly's. the customs guy started laughing when he saw us all coming through with these huge bottles of kaluha. but hey, it was so cheap, ya had to buy it even if ya didn't drink it very often. jueros loco Rolling Eyes Laughing

Did you see Niagra Falls from the tower? That view is really awesome!

we went when i was a little kid. it was awesome. pop kept freaking out because i was having too much fun climbing up on the railing. by the time i got to 14 or 15, he probably started thinking that maybe he should let me, or maybe have given me just a little push.Laughing

i don't specifically remember the tower, i was pretty young. we probably did. i do remember going to fort niagra, the old french fort. that was pretty cool.

i've been wanting to revisit a lot of places that we went to when i was a kid. especially since my wife hasn't seen much of that stuff.

since my niece just started at cornell, we have a good excuse to make the trip over that way now.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:55 pm
Re: Local Paper Records Shots Fired at Sheehan Camp in Texas
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
A Texas wacko more concerned about his morning view than the war in Iraq. ---BBB

By E&P Staff
Published: August 14, 2005 12:55 PM ET

NEW YORK Showing the value of its nearly round-the-clock coverage, the Lone Star Iconoclast, a weekly in Crawford, Texas, reported this morning from the scene that shots had been fired near the Cindy Sheehan antiwar encampment near the Bush ranch, which has drawn national attention.

Apparently they were fired by a local landowner none too pleased with the protest in his neighborhood.

Earlier this week, the Houston Chronicle talked to the neghbor, Larry Mattlage. Sitting on a tractor across the road, Mattlage said he supported the right to protest but that the demonstrators should not be allowed to stay for prolonged periods. "In the morning I usually wake up and see the morning sun," he said. "Now I wake up to stuff hanging in trees."

Here is today's Iconoclast report, as phoned in by its staffer, Deborah Mathews, on the scene:

Let me read you the schedule posted on a tree: "9:15 camp meeting; 10 a.m. inter-faith service, 10:30 a.m., "Food-Not-Bombs Breakfast at Peace House," and....

Wait! Someone is firing a gun. (pause). He fired it into the air about five times. He appears to be a local inside the fence line on private property. Now he has thrown what looks like a shotgun into the front seat of a pickup, and he's stomping off out of sight. I wonder where he went.

Now he's coming back out. I'm out here standing on the road. He's got a no parking sign in his hand, walking toward his fence. I'm going to go try to talk to him. I've got to hang up.

(three minutes later)

I went over and talked to the man. He is Larry Mattlage, who says he is on his property and just posted a no-parking sign.

"We're going to start doing our war and it's going to be underneath the law," he told me. "Whatever it takes. So y'all go find another place to do whatever you do. 'Cause this is our front yard and back yard."

I asked, "Do you mean the protestors?"

Wait.....now there's some Secret Service and cops. I'm going to get closer to hear what they're saying. People in bullet-proof vests are here now. Two Secret Service agents are now walking up his driveway towards his house, with Mr. Mattlage. A member of the Sheriff's Department has arrived. Mr. Mattlage is waving his arms now. All of them are now walking back this way.

Now they are between the lane and the house. He's at the fence now. Let me record what they are saying. I'll call right back.
Bumble bee, just want to let you know I often read your post.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 03:05 pm
I attended my niece's graduation from Cal State Santa Barbara. She's now attending UCLA working for her doctorate (which she probably already earned) in Chemistry.

My nephew stayed ove at our home for about a month many years ago when he attended Stanford to prepare for his medical school entrance exam. He's now a physician in Portland, Oregon.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 03:47 pm
I bet Casey would have liked to have gone on with his life, as well. Maybe right now some 150,000 soldiers would rather be fishing, riding their bike and taking a nap. Some, would probably like the opportunity, but won't get it. Ever.

Quote:
Bush will `go on with life'
Defends refusal to meet protester
Sunday, August 14, 2005
KEN HERMAN
Cox News Service
CRAWFORD, Texas - President Bush, noting that lots of people want to talk to the president and "it's also important for me to go on with my life," on Saturday defended his decision not to meet with the grieving mom of a soldier killed in Iraq.

Bush said he is aware of the anti-war sentiments of Cindy Sheehan and others who have joined her protest near the Bush ranch.

"But whether it be here or in Washington or anywhere else, there's somebody who has got something to say to the president, that's part of the job," Bush said on the ranch. "And I think it's important for me to be thoughtful and sensitive to those who have got something to say."

"But," he added, "I think it's also important for me to go on with my life, to keep a balanced life."

The comments came prior to a bike ride on the ranch with journalists and aides. It also came as the crowd of protesters grew in support of Sheehan, the California mother who came here Aug. 6 demanding to talk to Bush about the death of her son Casey. Sheehan arrived earlier in the week with about a half dozen supporters. As of yesterday (Saturday) there were about 300 anti-war protesters and approximately 100 people supporting the Bush Administration. In addition to the two-hour bike ride, Bush's Saturday schedule included an evening Little League Baseball playoff game, a lunch meeting with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, a nap, some fishing and some reading. "I think the people want the president to be in a position to make good, crisp decisions and to stay healthy," he said when asked about bike riding while a grieving mom wanted to speak with him. "And part of my being is to be outside exercising."

On Friday, Bush's motorcade drove by the protest site en route to a Republican fund-raising event at a nearby ranch.

As Bush rolled by, Sheehan held a sign that said, "Why do you make time for donors and not for me?"

Source
0 Replies