Mother of dead soldier really pissed at Bush

coachryan

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:12 pm
There are lots of things I want to say on this thread yet, but it's getting late for me so I'm just gonna toss a few things out there.

1. My turn to welcome slk, so far I found your posts well thought out and enlightening. I'm looking forward to you making me re-evaluate my positions on topics, but don't expect immediate capitulation :wink:

2. Link to a video shot from a guy in Austin on Sheehan.

3. You know it seems to me that this guy can take time from his vacation to fly back to Washington to sign a bill to "save" a braindead girl, but he can't take five more minutes to walk to the end of his f*cking drive way and talk to this woman who sacrificed her son for his reelec...errrrrr our war on.... WTF are we calling it these days?

Furthermore; as a former Texan, I'd like to give kudos to the statement made by the guy who shot the aforementioned video: "A Real Texan doesn't leave a grieving mother sitting on the side of the road without stopping to see if there's anything he can do for her."

Ry
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:27 pm
coachryan wrote:
There are lots of things I want to say on this thread yet, but it's getting late for me so I'm just gonna toss a few things out there.

1. My turn to welcome slk, so far I found your posts well thought out and enlightening. I'm looking forward to you making me re-evaluate my positions on topics, but don't expect immediate capitulation :wink:

2. Link to a video shot from a guy in Austin on Sheehan.

3. You know it seems to me that this guy can take time from his vacation to fly back to Washington to sign a bill to "save" a braindead girl, but he can't take five more minutes to walk to the end of his f*cking drive way and talk to this woman who sacrificed her son for his reelec...errrrrr our war on.... WTF are we calling it these days?

Furthermore; as a former Texan, I'd like to give kudos to the statement made by the guy who shot the aforementioned video: "A Real Texan doesn't leave a grieving mother sitting on the side of the road without stopping to see if there's anything he can do for her."

Ry

She didn't sacrifice anything, her son did. He did so of his own free will. He even went on his final mission as a volunteer. He knew what could happen and took the mission. He is to be honored as a hero.

Her aims are purely political and have nothing to do with her son. If I were her son I would be turning over in my grave.

Real Texans don't respond to bull$hit either.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:30 pm
Thankfully for her, you are not her son. Of course her aims are political. She wants to know why her son died in a ill conceived and phony war initiated by a ill conceived and phony leader.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:35 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Thankfully for her, you are not her son. Of course her aims are political. She wants to know why her son died in a ill conceived and phony war initiated by a ill conceived and phony leader.

Thankfully for me I'm not her son. I'm an adult and I make my own choices if she doesn't realize that then I guess she will be sitting outside of the ranch for no reason. She'll get famous and make some money.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:40 pm
I guess I understand why your ilk automatically rules out any authenticity on the part of this mother of a dead soldier. That would be almost like conceding a little bit that this is a criminal war conceived in lies and opposed by about 60% of anyone who's asked about it. I mean, no way you're gonna consider there might be any truth in that. It'd interrupt all your "Proud to be an American spreading freedom" horseshyt.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:53 pm
snood wrote:
I guess I understand why your ilk automatically rules out any authenticity on the part of this mother of a dead soldier. That would be almost like conceding a little bit that this is a criminal war conceived in lies and opposed by about 60% of anyone who's asked about it. I mean, no way you're gonna consider there might be any truth in that. It'd interrupt all your "Proud to be an American spreading freedom" horseshyt.

I didn't rule out anything. The President met with her. She received more then others have gotten and want more. She is doing this for only politics and no other reason. I believe she is grieving over her son but going to Texas and camping out in front of the ranch is political. Look at the news footage of those around her and what do you see? The same anti-war people you would see marching on Washington or any other city in the union. These people have no creditability when it comes to what they are doing. It wouldn't matter if she was there or not they would be. It hurts her cause to have these people around. I really feel that she is being used.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 11:13 pm
The war is political. What's your point?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 11:27 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
The war is political. What's your point?

Using her dead son as a politcal tool shouldn't be. That's the point.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 11:35 pm
What should she use? Her dead son is the subject of her motivation.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 11:36 pm
Intrepid wrote:

That's the problem. She is using the memory of her son for a political reason. She want's something she isn't going to get and is in the process of making an a$$ of herself.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 12:40 am
Baldimo
Baldimo wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

That's the problem. She is using the memory of her son for a political reason. She want's something she isn't going to get and is in the process of making an a$$ of herself.

If you have the nerve to look in the mirror, you will find that you are the one making a world-class a$$ of yourself as you attack anyone that disagrees with Bush---or you.

BBB
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 04:34 am
In response to Baldino...

...Intrepid wrote:

Quote:

...and Snood wrote:

Quote:
guess I understand why your ilk automatically rules out any authenticity on the part of this mother of a dead soldier. That would be almost like conceding a little bit that this is a criminal war conceived in lies and opposed by about 60% of anyone who's asked about it. I mean, no way you're gonna consider there might be any truth in that. It'd interrupt all your "Proud to be an American spreading freedom" horseshyt.

I don't get a chance to agree with these two guys very often...but I do here, and I want to take the opportunity to agree publically....and enthusiastically.

You guys are "right on" in this instance...and since you both said what had to be said with more class than I would have...I will simply second your remarks.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:29 am
c.i. - exactly!

I have been extremely influenced in my beliefs by two (or three) particular areas that come immediately to mind: (1) One of my student's brought me a CD of pictures his father brought home from his tour. The first few were scenery and a good look at where they were. Then a few dead Iraqis, but I moved on. The next one stopped me in my tracks - it was a close-up of a soldier's leg wound (let me say that's all I want to say). That's where I handed it back to him. (2) That brought out memories of Dalton Trumbo's Johnny Got His Gun. The author was blacklisted and the book has been banned in many places as it is the ultimate anti-war novel, which would undermine any country's war efforts. The main character gradually wakes up somewhere to find he has no arms, no legs, no face, etc. His brain is fine, but it's trapped in what's virtually a piece of meat. His tale is heart-wrenching, a worst-case scenario. (3) (This is the hardest.) While I do spend time with the mainstream media, I also stop into www.antiwar.com for into - I finally saw Fahrenheit 9/11, which obviously had an agenda, but as someone said, "The facts are the facts - watch and make up your mind." I have, and the no-bid contracts (Halliburton) and money to be made there isn't by the troops. Now that there is talk of a Muslim-based govt., I'm sure that's not what was wanted.

I read and saved an interview with Omar Bakri Muhammad, a suspected member of Al Qaeda and head of Al Muhajiroun, a radical Islamic group based in London. One Of the eight suspects arrested on March 30 ('04?) for planning to execute a terrorist attack in London, seven are known to have been Muhammad's protégés. The info contained within is chilling (e-mail me for an e-mail forward). One part: Q - What does Al Qaeda want?
A - Terror. They are engaged in a defensive jihad against those who attacked Islam. In the long run, they want to reestablish the Islamic state, the Caliphate. And to convert the whole world.

I don't feel this type can be defeated in any kind of conventional warfare.

I want our troops home ASAP.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 06:31 am
We have done it - as a nation we have done it.

We have no soul.

We have turned the most sacred of relationships - a mothers relationship with he son into a political **** fest.

We don't even care about truth, love, kindness, community, or freedom any more. It is ALL about ego and posturing.

God save our souls because we sold them.

I, personally, can't take it anymore.

TF
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 06:36 am
thethinkfactory wrote:
We have done it - as a nation we have done it.

We have no soul.

We have turned the most sacred of relationships - a mothers relationship with he son into a political **** fest.

We don't even care about truth, love, kindness, community, or freedom any more. It is ALL about ego and posturing.

God save our souls because we sold them.

I, personally, can't take it anymore.

TF

And how do you figure "we" have done that? In my estimation, the lady is taking a stand that a lot of folks wish they had the guts to do.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 09:54 am
I agree with Snood. Who is this "we" you are talking about, TTF? I think you may be getting a little bit too caught up in the A2K political bickering. Perspective, perspective, perspective.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:03 am
It's obvious this guy Baldimo doesn't understand one iota of what it's like to lose a son in a war that was started on unfounded justifications. As a father of two boys, I wouldn't want them serving under this Texas-yokel named Bush. He doesn't have the brains or the wherewithal to understand what war is all about. He's prolly the only president that went AWOL.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:07 am
BTW, for you Bush-lovers, lawful demonstration in this country is acceptable behavior - in case you didn't know. This administration and all you nocons only want to sqash people who disagree with you and this war. "Freedom of Speech" is one of our civil rights.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 03:39 pm
slkshock7 wrote:
Tread

"the first question for the bush administration is; "if this is a different kind of war, why are we fighting a new, and shadowy, enemy the same old way ?".

I'd argue that we are not....yes, the battle for Baghdad three years ago was more traditional, but no longer. ....Perhaps a lot of the difficulty folks have with the war is because we are fighting it so differently that we have problems measuring and they have problems recognizing, success.

hmmm. maybe i didn't explain it right ? in my view, that america launched a military assualt on iraq at all is fighting the "new war" in the "old way".

it was nearly predictable what was going to happen. did i say nearly? it was predictable and was forecast by bush sr.

the only thing keeping iraq from religious and ethnic civil war was the mobster hussein regime. once that nation wide suppression was gone...well, we see the results, don't we ?

so, in that way, whether the guys have strykers (which are full of real world problems from what i've read) or not really makes no difference when they are stuck in the middle of a country that wants to be 3 countries and is tipping further daily towards civil war.

everything that i've come across shows that the only established islamist terrorist camp, before the invasion, was in the north east corner of the kurdish territory. outside of the no fly zone.

if the war is really intended to go after terrorists, wouldn't it have made more sense to identify that camp, and any others that we could and take more of a surgical approach ? supposedly that's where zarqawi was hanging out. would have cut that problem off at the ankles wouldn't it? instead, we now have him running around and finally declaring himself as part of al qaida.

"i guess the second question is; "if you insist on fighting a new war the old way, why are you cheaping out ? why don't the generals and soldiers have the numbers and materials to deliver the crushing blows needed to bring this type of war to a conclusion ?"

How would you propose we deliver a "crushing blow" to an enemy that blends with the populace so well? I guess a few nukes over Baghad, Ramadi, or Fallujah would do the trick, but some others on this thread might have a problem with that solution. And why do you claim that we are doing it "on the cheap"? Soldiers today are better equipped than any in history. Unfortunately, war is not antiseptic. You can spend billions more in Iraq but soldiers will still die. I understand that the Iraq war is already approaching the cost of the entire 15 or so years of Vietnam. Doesn't sound cheap to me.

nukes ? why nukes ? what, we have only do nothing or nukes ? i'd have a problem with nukes, as well. even the so called "battlefield" variety that they are testing. plain old explosive bombs would do just fine, without all of the glow in the dark fun.

"on the cheap", by that i mean that the military people, like shinseki, stated at the outset that it would require a higher number deployment. they were slapped down and replaced with people who gave the answers that were wanted.

as referrence, note that gulf I saw a u.s. deployment of 665.5 thousand troops. also, less than a 1000 killed and wounded.

basically the same initial operation, but with less than a quarter of the men. does that make sense to you ? now add to the initial op the occupation. still with the lower troop count. again, does that make sense to you ?

equipment.. the obvious ones that come up are the shortage of fully protected vests (to the extent that people had to buy and send them over privately) and the armoring of the humvees (which were never intended for anything other than personnel carriage). guys have had to go through junk to find anything that will give them some protection, even if the bottoms might as well be made of glass.

considering that these were supposed to be part of the infamous 87 billion that kerry got hung on (well, actually, only about 67b was military $. the rest is a non-repayable loan to iraq. it was the non-repayable part that kerry didn't like. me either. thanks john, ya tried man...), why wasn't that taken care of immediately ?

so, while you say that 200b isn't cheap (it sure ain't !!), it's the appearance that the money isn't getting spent on the troops first and foremost that makes me say that the administration is waging war on the cheap.

why do we never see you on television, simply sitting at your desk in the oval office and giving us the straight up without a lot of photo-oping (and photoshoping in at least one case) ? mr. president, if america is truly a country at war and you are "the war president" as you and others claim, why are you, the vice president, the cabinet and the entire congress on month long vacations instead of in washington d.c., getting it done ?".

Getting what done???And don't say "winning the war". That's the Pentagon's job...it is the President's job to make sure we have the resources to do it. I've heard no complaints from the military saying that his many vacations have hampered that task.

yep, it is the pentagon's job to win the war. it is the president's job to ride herd, not to just sit back and say "bring it on". at this point, it's glaringly apparent that the pentagon isn't winning the war. meanwhile, the president and the secretary of defense are wandering around in texas and phoning it in.

are you really satisfied with the way things are going ? do you really believe that everything that should or can be done is being done ?

do believe that there's more to being commander in chief than talk ? shouldn't he be leading ? just a little bit ? anything would be an improvement on that count.

doesn't it bother you that in the schiavo case, it was all "quick fellas, we gotta get back to d.c. and save terry, some people want to kill her !!", but in the case of 150k or so american soldiers it's "i'll be out of the office for 5 weeks. page me if you need me.". 5 weeks. the longest presidential vacation on record, and in what is constantly called the time of a nation at war.

camp david isn't good enough for george bush ? not enough brush clear away ? what the hell ?

let me put it this way. a real leader leads by example.

do you think that george bush, his administration and his (republican controlled) congress are leading by example ?

or are they just mouthing platitudes, buzz phrases and talking points while somebody else does the fighting and dying for their vision ?

are ya gettin' my drift ?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 03:45 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Real Texans don't respond to bull$hit either.

whaddaya mean ? the voted in droves for bush for governor.

sorry man, couldn't help myself. :wink:
0 Replies