Mother of dead soldier really pissed at Bush

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 01:39 am
mysteryman wrote:
Why are we even having this discussion?
According to Maureen Dowd,the moral authority of parents that have lost children in Iraq is "absolute".

But,no American "children" have been lost in Iraq.
Every soldier over there,no matter what age,is an ADULT and CHOSE,on his or her own,to join the military.

Now,grieving parents are calling the casualties "children".

IMHO,the people that are calling these soldiers children need to wake up and apply one standard for everyone.
If a 13 year old girl can get an abortion,without notifying her parents,because she is "mature" enough to make the decision,then an adult sure as hell is mature enough to make a decision about the military and its risks WITHOUT having anyone else second guessing them.

This is the dumbest rationale I've seen posted on A2K. You're slipping Mysteryman.

BBB
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:03 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
snood wrote:
Well, y'all DO have Ted Nugent, after all...

Yes ... yes we do.

and ya can have him. yuck. the only thing keeping him from the title of "worst american guitarist, EVER" is that the guy from motley crue is still breathin'.

i saw good ol' ted interviewed the other day. the topic was "music's roll in politics" or some such.

he started bagging on green day; "yeah, a bunch of guys with eye liner... grow up". the overall idea was that he didn't think much about the roll of music as a voice in politics.

this from a guy that spent the 70's hopping around on stage like someone jammed a hungry beaver up his keester, yowling "cat scratch FEVER!!!" while nattily attired in nothing but a headband,breach cloth & moccasins. the stunningly adult accessory of a frackin' racoon tail hanging over his butt crack made for a truly unpretentious display.

none of that stops him from appearing regularly on fox so he can nod along with the sagely sean, though.

here's to you ted, and to continuing your 40 year role as a total embarassment to rockers all across this great land of ours.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:12 pm
BBB, Some people will never learn that their children are children no matter what the age of their children. A "child" means a son or daughter. That doesn't change as long as the parent is alive.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 04:08 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
BBB, Some people will never learn that their children are children no matter what the age of their children. A "child" means a son or daughter. That doesn't change as long as the parent is alive.

I dont deny that.
The point I was trying to make is that there are many people,including a few on here,that are saying they "would not let" their child join the service.
Now,people that join the service are young ADULTS,able and free to make up their own minds.
So,its not a matter of "letting" them do anything.
They are able to decide for themselves.

I was trying to point out the stupidity of that statement about "letting" someone enlist.
The same people that wont "let" their adult child enlist are (for the most part) the same ones that have no problem with a 13 or 14 year old CHILD having an abortion without parental noptification or permission.

To me,that seems backwards.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 04:12 pm
mm, The only thing parents against this war can do is try to discourage their son or daughter. The final decision will always be the child's. I don't believe in "controlling" my children whether I agree or disagree with the politics of this war with Iraq. They are old enough to decide for themselves the risks and benefits, pros and cons. If they don't, I've done a poor job of raising them.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 04:18 pm
bottom line, the world and that includes the US of A operates on images, the world including the US of A now has an image of Cindy as a mother of a dead son/soldier and, in contrast, has an image of Bush riding his bike on his ranch. Cindy, whether of not she is a full-blown twinkie has won the battle of images. ([size=7]no one reads the fine print[/size])
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 04:32 pm
Carter locked himself up in a room, for what a year or so, during the hostage crisis?

Presidential Rule #1-- Locking yourself in a room in the WH is a shallow, worthless PR move (unless you're Clinton, and then it's a rendezvous).

The Left said Bush shouldn't have an Inauguration, a vacation, ... I don't know how they can think people will take them seriously.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 04:40 pm
I read the fine print.

So, do you folks think you're gonna have a proper anti-war movement, all Swift-boat type attacks and smears on whoever dares to lead/become involved in it notwithstanding?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 04:46 pm
watch the slime come out against Hagel.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 04:34 am
Oh - the slime I see in grossest abundance.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 07:01 am
edit--double
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 07:01 am
Do you also think that although Republicans are criticised about everything under the sun, that they will just bow their heads and let liberals say whatever they please without pointing out inconsistencies and fallacies in what they say?

I know you can't possibly think that.

Don't expect us to do what you won't do.

Hagel should be challenged by those who think he is wrong. That's certainly no more than Democrats do.

You just avert our eyes when the slime is yours.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:43 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
mm, The only thing parents against this war can do is try to discourage their son or daughter. The final decision will always be the child's. I don't believe in "controlling" my children whether I agree or disagree with the politics of this war with Iraq. They are old enough to decide for themselves the risks and benefits, pros and cons. If they don't, I've done a poor job of raising them.

What did Cindy Sheehan mean when she said that "had she know of the Iraq War lie'" she would have taken her son to Canada? What does that mean?

---

BTW: Has anyone heard her speak? It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. Almost as bad as listening to the Hildabeast.

Just an observation, and one that doesn't factor into anything. I still respect her right to protest, and the fact that she's a grieving mother. I just don't want to hear her talk ever again.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:50 am
Quote:
BTW: Has anyone heard her speak? It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. Almost as bad as listening to the Hildabeast.

That's because, despite claims from the right, she isn't a trained puppet; she wasn't put forth in order to promote others' causes; she is just a regular lady.

This is what also makes her message powerful in the eyes of many people.

Quote:
Just an observation, and one that doesn't factor into anything. I still respect her right to protest, and the fact that she's a grieving mother. I just don't want to hear her talk ever again.

Better get used to it; she's not going away, and there will be many many more like her in the year to come.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:01 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

That's because, despite claims from the right, she isn't a trained puppet; she wasn't put forth in order to promote others' causes; she is just a regular lady.

This is what also makes her message powerful in the eyes of many people.

She's also a regular "potty-mouth." But I guess that also "makes her message powerful in the eyes of many people."

Cyclops wrote:
Tico wrote:

Better get used to it; she's not going away, and there will be many many more like her in the year to come.

Cycloptichorn

Thank God for the "mute" button.
0 Replies