0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 08:54 pm
Here's the link so it will work:

http://www.jeffandrus.com/Virtue.htm
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 02:18 am
Does it matter? As has been said, it was great theatre - and I don't mean that in any demeaning sense at all - and it would have been a terrific boost for the morale of everyone (well not the enemy). Besides, it's a wonderful photo.

So the famous photo of the loyalist soldier being shot during the Spanish Civil War may have been staged (or so I read somewhere) but does that take away from the message the photograph is conveying? Personally I hope it was staged and the poor bastard lived through the rest of the conflict.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 06:08 am
Here is an interesting article...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-08-20-counter-protest_x.htm

I wont post the whole article,but this part strikes me as interesting...

"He and others at "Fort Qualls" have asked for a debate with those at the Crawford Peace House, which is helping Sheehan.

It's unclear if that will happen. But a member of Gold Star Families for Peace, co-founded by Sheehan and comprised of relatives of fallen soldiers, said her group would not participate.

"We're asking for a meeting with the president, period," said Michelle DeFord, whose 37-year-old son, Sgt. David W. Johnson, was in the Army National Guard from Oregon when he was killed in Iraq last fall. "We don't want to debate with people who don't understand our point of view."

What are they afraid of?
It seems to me that since they know they wont get to see Bush,that they would welcome the opportunity to make their point,especially to people that disagree with them.
I am not making judgements,I just find it interesting.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:01 am
According to this morning's local newspaper, Bush has no intention of meeting with Ms Sheehan or anybody else on this matter.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:05 am
c.i.
cicerone imposter wrote:
According to this morning's local newspaper, Bush has no intention of meeting with Ms Sheehan or anybody else on this matter.

Sheeeesh! C.I. You've got a lot of nerve trying to bring this tread back to it's topic.

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:24 am
Quote:
"All my life," muses Waters, (Roger Waters, formerly of Pink Floyd fame) whose father died in World War II, "I have been preoccupied with the great tragedy of losing family in wars. The pain of losing a parent or a child in (an act of) violence that is purposefully and directly generated by political forces is in a certain way harder to bear than if someone dies in, say, an accident. The death feels more preventable."
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:30 am
Dys
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
"All my life," muses Waters, (Roger Waters, formerly of Pink Floyd fame) whose father died in World War II, "I have been preoccupied with the great tragedy of losing family in wars. The pain of losing a parent or a child in (an act of) violence that is purposefully and directly generated by political forces is in a certain way harder to bear than if someone dies in, say, an accident. The death feels more preventable."

That is so true. Most wealthy Chicken Hawks won't understand because most don't have a family history of fighting wars---except in the olden days after WWI.

BBB
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:44 am
BBB, Before WWII, most Americans were poor. We had just gotten over the Depression Years, and our economy really didn't pick up until after WWII when our vets went to college with the GI Bill. That was the impetus for our economic growth.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:48 am
Survey of 1,000 Adults

August 17-18, 2005

Cindy Sheehan

Favorable 35%
Unfavorable 38%
RasmussenReports.com

With a margin of error on most polls of three percent, the Favorable and Unfavorable are essentially even.

Most of the Unfavorable voters think Ms Sheehan is being used. The important issue they seem to miss is the fact that her message is the important issue; not that special interests and the media have made her cause national.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:24 pm
mysteryman wrote:
What are they afraid of?
It seems to me that since they know they wont get to see Bush,that they would welcome the opportunity to make their point,especially to people that disagree with them.
I am not making judgements,I just find it interesting.

i don't feel like it's a fear of anything, mystery. they didn't head down there with the purpose of debating other families or whatever. sheehan went to talk to the president. debate on the iraq war, you don't need to travel 1500 miles for.

i'm not there, buy i don't really see that debating the other families would accomplish much. the fort quall people apparently have already heard the point she's making and have established their camp in response, to make their point that they disagree.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:06 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:

And, of course, a lot of Waters' song writing has revolved around an anti-war theme. And yet I still like it ...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:17 pm
Dammit, Cap'n! We're almost out of dylithium crystals and they're using the damn Pink Floyd reference against Ticomaya. I don't think he can withstand the pressure!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:42 pm
Lash wrote:
Dammit, Cap'n! We're almost out of dylithium crystals and they're using the damn Pink Floyd reference against Ticomaya. I don't think he can withstand the pressure!

Not the first time someone tried to tell me I shouldn't like Pink Floyd because of their politics.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:53 pm
Nah. It's a great album....CD. I love "Mother" and...there's another one I can't think of the name of. I mean, the whole thing is a masterpiece. You know, Comfortably Numb is one of my favorites bar none.

I can understand the heart of protest, just sometimes can't stand the mouth of it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:18 pm
Well, y'all DO have Ted Nugent, after all...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:29 pm
snood wrote:
Well, y'all DO have Ted Nugent, after all...

Yes ... yes we do.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:38 pm
Ted Nugent, Arnold, Bo Derek...the list is end.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:00 pm
And don't forget most Christian and Country music stars ... Alice Cooper ... and possibly Britney Spears. :wink:
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 01:29 am
Why are we even having this discussion?
According to Maureen Dowd,the moral authority of parents that have lost children in Iraq is "absolute".

But,no American "children" have been lost in Iraq.
Every soldier over there,no matter what age,is an ADULT and CHOSE,on his or her own,to join the military.

Now,grieving parents are calling the casualties "children".

IMHO,the people that are calling these soldiers children need to wake up and apply one standard for everyone.
If a 13 year old girl can get an abortion,without notifying her parents,because she is "mature" enough to make the decision,then an adult sure as hell is mature enough to make a decision about the military and its risks WITHOUT having anyone else second guessing them.
0 Replies