And so this happened

izzythepush

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 04:05 pm
@jcboy,
Might not have been her car, it might have been a friend's or family member's.
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 04:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Oh no, on the police report it had her listed as the owner of the car. Maybe they paid cash for it and then wouldn't need to show proof of insurance. She hit it so hard she bent what's called the motor cradle, his insurance company would have totaled the car if one of the airbags would have deployed. Either way he gets screwed because when he goes to trade in the car the value probably dropped by half.

Mike told me she was crying as she was being handcuffed and placed in the police car, she's just lucky she hit a parked car and didn't kill herself or someone else.
Mame

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 04:57 pm
@jcboy,
I hope the insurance is paying for a rental for him; they do here.

She certainly learned a lesson, one hopes. What an idiot. Almost as bad as distracted driving.
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 05:26 pm
@Mame,
Since they have a second car and the motorcycles he never had rental insurance on his policy Confused
Mame

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 05:28 pm
@jcboy,
Ah. It comes included in our collision coverage. But, he has plenty of vehicles anyway Smile
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2023 11:07 am
@Mame,
A very expensive lesson. I was just reading a DUI in California can cost you up to 15 grand! not to mention the property damage to his car. The insurance company will go after her for their money. In this day an age there is no excuse when you have Uber and Lyft for 8 or 10 bucks for a ride.

Mike told me he made his last car payment a year ago, he wanted to go another year without a car payment before trading it in, when he does trade it in they will check the car fax and the trade in value will be half of what it was worth before she hit it.
Mame

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2023 11:56 am
@jcboy,
What do you think the book value of it would have been had they written it off?
jcboy

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2023 12:33 pm
@Mame,
When he looked into trading it in he checked Kelly Blue Book and it was a little over 18K, of course that's when used cars were in high demand. Probably would have been 15 to 16 now but not after being hit.
Mame

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2023 01:13 pm
@jcboy,
She should be made to pay the difference.
jcboy

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2023 01:20 pm
@Mame,
A lawyer friend of mine said he can seek restitution. He would just have to prove the value of the car before and after the accident and fill out a victim impact restitution statement. I'm not sure that's what he's going to do, he actually told me he felt sorry for her!

I have a hard time having sympathy for anyone driving drunk.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2023 01:29 pm
@jcboy,
If she's young and has no money then it won't help to sue her for restitution.
I am sure she has learned her lesson!

I was rear-ended by a 16 year old once, uninsured too. Her parents socio-economic situation was bad and suing them would have made it so much worse. The kid learned her lesson and that was good enough for me.
jcboy

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2023 01:37 pm
@CalamityJane,
Right, she couldn't even pay for insurance. My attorney friend said most likely they were in the process of repo'ing car because the finance companies are notified when the car insurance lapse in coverage.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 01:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
You know I've been cleaning all morning, they said they would leave Encino at 3:00 to beat the traffic, probably be here about 5 or a little later depending on traffic. I doubt they will feel like going out to dinner so I'm going to have dinner ready. I'm going to make a Caesar salad, I always put hearts of palm in the salad, risotto and fresh Salmon I found at Gelsons Cool
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 10:45 pm
@jcboy,
You're the perfect "Mom"....cleaning all morning, making good dinner!
Don't you love Gelson's? We're fortunate to have one close by our house!
jcboy

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2023 10:56 am
@CalamityJane,
I love Gelson's, they carry stuff you don't find in other Markets. These two are just waking up and it's 9 Confused We had breakfast over an hour ago, now I'm making them French Toast. I'll leave it up to them what they want to do today.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2023 01:40 pm
@Mame,
You know yesterday was Mike's birthday, they went out to dinner. I'm sure you remember because I remember you saying October 24th was also your sons birthday Razz Anyway they will be here again this Friday evening for the weekend.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2023 01:48 pm
@jcboy,
Have a wonderful time.
jcboy

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2023 01:56 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks Izzy, we always do, I'm still not an uncle yet though. They don't want kids yet. Smile
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2023 04:32 pm
@jcboy,
I don't blame them, these carefree days don't last long.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2023 01:55 pm
@jcboy,
That's right - I do remember Smile I gave my son a gift certificate for a really top-notch restaurant and he wants us to join them. Some time between now and Christmas he said Smile He's 40.

I'm so glad you and your brother are getting along so famously. Do you ever hear from the other one? Was it Logan?