Family inheritance wars

lasuz

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 09:08 am
Has anyone gone through a war with the family over an inheritance and later all was resolved? As Trustee I am seen as the bad guy but really all I did was carry out my parents wishes with integrity.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,739 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 09:57 am
@lasuz,
Yep. It can take years to resolve all of it, unfortunately. Best thing you can do is try to be patient with your family.
lasuz

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 11:25 am
@jespah,
It has been 3 years almost and close to resolution I think but relationships have been damaged. I was wondering if others have gone through it and family reunified in their experiences.
chai2

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 12:23 pm
@lasuz,
lasuz wrote:

It has been 3 years almost and close to resolution I think but relationships have been damaged. I was wondering if others have gone through it and family reunified in their experiences.

Didn't jespah just answer in the affirmative?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 02:31 pm
@lasuz,
My grandmother and my father were at odds for years and finally she decided to write him out of the will. She died and it was a disaster. My father didn't want any money (and it wasn't like there was a lot), but some insurance policies paid out equally to beneficiaries and my aunt was upset that Dad received money even though it wasn't my grandmother's intent. By the time it was all over, they were estranged.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 02:37 pm
@engineer,
We went through a legal process to make sure we couldn't get anything from my grandmother's estate in Germany as there was already so much family strife. We'd had to do the same with the estate of one of my mother's brothers-in-law.

My parents didn't want to be caught up in the family mess.

It didn't help much.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 02:39 pm
@lasuz,
So - to your question. Yes, the estates resolved.

Did the family reconcile? no.

It's close to 30 years later and the segments of the family are still alienated from one another.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 03:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Blood may be thicker than water, but it's not quite as fat as a dollar bill.
0 Replies