Wrong Answer Game

coluber2001

Reply Wed 25 May, 2022 08:00 pm
@P E Dant,
Q: Why is a pineapple so called? They have no relationship whatsoever to the genus Pinus and they aren't anything like an apple!

A: It's because a pineapple look so much like a grenade, which looks like a pineapple. But there's something wrong about that logic. Maybe it was somebody from the mainland pining for an apple but they settled for the local bromeliad fruit.

Q: What has underwear got to do with fruit as in Fruit of the Loom?

P E Dant

Reply Wed 25 May, 2022 09:35 pm
@coluber2001,

Q: coluber2001 - What has underwear got to do with fruit as in Fruit of the Loom?

A: (1) The advertising writer that handled the account for 'Fruit Of The Loom' was dyslexic... the intended line was 'Fruit Of The Lions', a well-known expression used to indicate lion cubs of either gender... the brilliance of the underwear produced by 'Fruit Of The Lions' is that they don't show the dreaded 'panty lion', an abhorrent sight to many - (2) There is an alternative explanation, which surely carries more weight; viz, the word 'loom' derives from the Old English geloma, formed from ge- (perfective prefix) and loma, a root of unknown origin... as you can see, the original 'loom' was a plant, and it bore fruit

Q: Why are the French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, etc etc languages called 'Romance Languages'? Spend any time on the docks at a seaport of any of these countries and you will get an earful of language that is anything other than romantic!
glitterbag

Reply Wed 25 May, 2022 09:41 pm
@P E Dant,
Q: Why are the French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, etc etc languages called 'Romance Languages'? Spend any time on the docks at a seaport of any of these countries and you will get an earful of language that is anything other than romantic!

A: You forgot to mention Romanian, which I actually studied. If you ever get trapped by a bunch of Romanians on a dock, run because their romance version of the language should scare the bejesus out of you.

Q: Why was Julia Child so nuts about French food? Was it her copper pots?
coluber2001

Reply Thu 26 May, 2022 11:52 am
@glitterbag,
Q: Why was Julia Child so nuts about French food? Was it her copper pots?

A: I think she realized that fried Spam is vastly improved doused in a hollandaise sauce and rolled in a crepe.

Q: Is tripe really edible, or is it nothing more than a smelly, old sponge?
P E Dant

Reply Thu 26 May, 2022 06:18 pm
@coluber2001,

Q: coluber2001 - Is tripe really edible, or is it nothing more than a smelly, old sponge?

A: Have you never seen lions (as mentioned above) digging in to the abdominal cavity of a felled wildebeest? They l♥ve tripe! As do hyenas, vultures etc... with regards to its suitability as a food for human consumption, however, the Jury is still out! As a recipient of countless servings of so-called 'tripe and onions' in a watery so-called 'white sauce' I can assure you it does smell and taste like a 'smelly old sponge'! My analyst is working on this with me, and the Mater has paid dearly for such treatment!

Q: What happens when an Exorcist gets invaded by a devil/demon? Are they permitted to self-exorcise?
coluber2001

Reply Fri 27 May, 2022 04:41 pm
@P E Dant,
Q: What happens when an Exorcist gets invaded by a devil/demon? Are they permitted to self-exorcise?

A: I'm no expert on exorcisms, having not even seen the movie, which, I suppose, would qualify one in that regard. However, I think a mirror would work in this case, perhaps a room of mirrors. The exorcism would bounce around and eventually hit you. That way you would be performing it on yourself only indirectly, perhaps by chance and nobody could complain.

Q: Although, I didn't see the movie, I recall from shorts that her head would spin around. Is it possible that she was part owl as they can spin their heads around 270 degrees?

P E Dant

Reply Fri 27 May, 2022 06:18 pm
@coluber2001,

Q: coluber2001 - Although I didn't see the movie, I recall from shorts that her head would spin around. Is it possible that she was part owl as they can spin their heads around 270 degrees?

A: Not part Owl, coluber2001, more than 1/2 Owl! We humans share some 65% of our DNA with these birds! You have, inadvertently, solved yet another poser that has beguiled this Dant for years! Thank you! Smile

Q: Are Zebras black and white, or white and black?
coluber2001

Reply Sat 28 May, 2022 01:48 am
@P E Dant,
Q: Are Zebras black and white, or white and black?

A: I've read from a trusted source that zebras are in fact invisible with different-colored stripes so you can see them coming. This is fortunate, otherwise there would be great danger on a safari from stampeding invisible zebras, and it would be difficult to take a picture.

Q: Why don't people ride zebras?
P E Dant

Reply Sat 28 May, 2022 07:23 pm
@coluber2001,

Q: coluber2001 - Why don't people ride zebras?

A: Because they can't see them to put the saddles on! Those with stripes aren't available for riding, being as they are on duty as 'Crosswalks' in AU, NZ, and the UK, where those pedestrian crossings are known as 'Zebra Crossings'

Q: What with all the planets, stars, satellites, rockets and suchlike now crowding out our space zones, the question is... do satellites have to give way?
coluber2001

Reply Tue 31 May, 2022 04:54 pm
@P E Dant,
A: They actually seem to have an attraction for each other, with the larger one wishing to increase its mass by capturing the smaller one. Unfortunately for the smaller one this eventually proves fatal.

Q: Everyone's always trying to overcome friction, but without friction could one even move? What would a 100 meter dash on ice with regular shoes look like?

P E Dant

Reply Tue 31 May, 2022 06:44 pm
@coluber2001,
Q: coluber2001 - Everyone's always trying to overcome friction, but without friction could one even move? What would a 100 meter dash on ice with regular shoes look like?

A: It would look remarkably like me trying to roller-skate! (or skate, or ski, come to think of it) Sad

Q: Why are baby lobsters called 'kittens'?
coluber2001

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2022 12:39 pm
@P E Dant,
Q: Why are baby lobsters called 'kittens'?

A: Because they're so darned cute, you want to play with them. Unfortunately, the feeling is not mutual, and there is always the risk of drowning.

Q: If humans had gills, would anybody want to come on land anymore?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 08:55 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
Q: If humans had gills, would anybody want to come on land anymore?

Of course, they would. How else would one celebrate the High Holy Days of Honda Days? Or Nissan Summer Sales Event? Ya heathen!

How did Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann actually break his leg back on November 18, 1985?
coluber2001

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 12:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
Q: How did Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann actually break his leg back on November 18, 1985?

A: I've been trying to think of a reason for Joe Theismann's leg breaking other than a 240 lb gorilla falling on it. This is difficult. It's not like his leg was a wishbone at a metaphorical Thanksgiving dinner, or was it?

Q: if you discovered that you could have the ability to spontaneously fly, but only on the condition that you have osteoporosis to lighten your weight like bird bones, would you do it?
P E Dant

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 06:21 pm
@coluber2001,

Q: coluber2001 - if you discovered that you could have the ability to spontaneously fly, but only on the condition that you have osteoporosis to lighten your weight like bird bones, would you do it?

A: Of course! I would fly over to Ukraine and offer my services as a 'spotter'!

Q: Did Santa have to undergo a police check prior to his initial goodies delivery?
coluber2001

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2022 04:05 pm
@P E Dant,
A: Santa is licensed in the United States and has to closely follow regulations including the red suit, which identifies him. All others seen on the roof on Christmas Eve at night are liable to be shot.

All reindeer excreta has to be picked up, and this is done by elves who are usually not included in photos.

Q: Obviously Santa is a commie and his actions and red suit identify him as such, so should Christmas Eve be identified as International Worker's Day instead of May 1.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 10:59 am
@coluber2001,
Q: Obviously Santa is a commie and his actions and red suit identify him as such, so should Christmas Eve be identified as International Worker's Day instead of May 1.

A: No. Christmas is about buying as well as giving, so it's a retailer's day dressed in red.

Q: If a former president goes to jail, does a secret service agent accompany him?
P E Dant

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2022 06:42 pm
@coluber2001,

Q: coluber2001 - If a former president goes to jail, does a secret service agent accompany him?

A: Only to the toilet, to do the necessary... this individual is known as 'The Master Of The Stool'

Q: Is the moon really made of cheese? If so, what type? Did the moon-walkers bring some home with them? And what does 'the cow jumped over the moon' have to do with it?
coluber2001

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2022 11:50 pm
@P E Dant,
Q: Is the moon really made of cheese? If so, what type? Did the moon-walkers bring some home with them? And what does 'the cow jumped over the moon' have to do with it?

A: These are 4 questions. However, they're all related.

The Moon is made from rocks and cheese, Swiss cheese. The holes are easily seen. The astronauts were more concerned with collecting valuable rocks than some old cheese, which is easily available on Earth. Scientists are still working on the connection between the cow and the Moon, but they think that cheese has something to do with it since cheese comes from milk.

Q: Staying with an astronomical theme, why do we name constellations?
P E Dant

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2022 06:34 pm
@coluber2001,

Q: coluber2001 - Staying with an astronomical theme, why do we name constellations?

A: The Lockheed Constellation came into service in 1943, and since that time some airlines have named their 'planes as an advertising gimmick. Prior to 1943 there were some famous 'named' 'planes, such as Lindbergh's 'Spirit Of St Louis' and Kingsford Smith's 'Southern Cross'

Q: What type of an animal is the Sphinx?