I'll just entertain myself

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 10:30 pm
@BillW,
I wanted to write Sallisaw but brainfarts is me took over. She was born there and lived in Muskogee. I've never visited that part of Oklahoma.

I've watched the movie of Grapes of Wrath several times. It is a great film, but the book is so much better. I can see why they adapted it that way and applaud the effort. The in-between chapters fill in so much information. I feel the last chapter went the way it had to. Perhaps because my father died during his struggle in those times.
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 10:45 pm
@BillW,
Again I don't recall it well I was young when I saw it I will check on Youtube soon as I am aware that movie was important...I thought it was a critic to Nazi populism or something similar...
I will check now! Ty for the feedback!
BillW

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 10:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
It was hard times. After the Okies became a recognized part of California, they used the same tactics on the Mexicans until Caesar Chavez came along and unionized them. It is just one story have the other about management and the downtrodden workers.

I cut wheat, barley, maize and bermuda grass seed out of Blythe; between Palo Verde and Needles. On both the California and Arizona side of the Colorado River, for 3 years after I got out of the Army.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 10:51 pm
@Albuquerque,
The book has chapters in between the story chapters giving an overview of what it was about.
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 10:57 pm
@Albuquerque,
OK I just reviewed it, yeah it is against oligarchs and exploitation...I was under the impression it was also against smooth talkers who manipulate people in difficult times...not it I have to check which movie was that then.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 11:00 pm
@BillW,
Muscogee? I thought it was Tallaqua, or something that sounded like that. I once knew the historian of the tribe - Enloe Leon Gilmore.
BillW

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 11:28 pm
@roger,
You are correct Roger. I am always getting these two mixed up. Muskogee is the Creek Nation plus a conglomeration of other smaller tribes and their headquarters are in Okmulgee. BTW, it is Tahlaequeah which is only 30 miles from Muskogee.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 11:35 pm
Another Depression era story that may be too convoluted for most these days is Tobacco Road, set in Georgia. Their plight is every bit as desperate as the Joads.'
BillW

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 11:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Don't know if I have heard this tale. Is there a name for it?

BTW, Weatherford, Texas had a little bit of Depression Era tales. There were a number of rail cars on side tracks that people lived in. Let me see if I can find some history.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 11:51 pm
@BillW,
The novel, Tobacco Road, is about a family of sharecroppers in Georgia. They are so poor they are gradually starving. Jeeter Lester could probably have gone into town to work at something I no longer remember, but he was born and raised on the land and he prefered to stay and be hungry. There is a movie, but I don't recommend it, because they played it for laughs.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 11:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Too convoluted? Maybe that's why I never finished Tobacco Road. I forget the reason, but I definitely put it down.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 11:56 pm
@roger,
I was a kid when I read it. I don't know what I would think rereading at my age.
BillW

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2022 12:17 am
@edgarblythe,
Thanks for the review, I do remember the song. Are they related? The lyrics aren't specific, just in general.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2022 12:21 am
@BillW,
The song has nothing to do with the novel.
BillW

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2022 12:24 am
@edgarblythe,
Did find the novel on Kindle., $8.00. May get it and try to read something.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2022 06:11 am
I just bought a copy of the Fortean Times. Inside is a long article on The Eclipse Inn in Winchester which is currently Britain's most haunted pub.

I've been there a lot a heard a few tales myself, but I've never seen anything like that.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2022 06:21 am
@izzythepush,
I used to work around three people who tried to find the supernatural in everything. If you wanted to terrify the boss just bring a toy called a Ouija Board into the building.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2022 06:24 am
@edgarblythe,
I've known people like that.

I like the Fortean Times, it takes the approach that goes straight down the middle, reporting what was said and alleged to occur and letting people make their own minds up.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2022 06:29 am
@izzythepush,
I didn't argue with any of them. Just let them carry on and when they tried to involve me mostly just smiled.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2022 04:36 am
In the most recent Viz, Gilbert Ratchet's father is shocked by his energy bill so Gilbert makes his own. E = MC2, so Gilbert got rapper MC Hammer and made him act square, in an M&S cardigan watching Midsomer Murders telling people to turn the music down and reminding them to put the bins out.
0 Replies