I'll just entertain myself

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2022 11:59 pm
Car problem. The check engine light came on. My daughter was at the wheel. She stopped ar some place I never heard of to get a reading. It presented us with a long list of possibles. Next day I had it read at Autozone. It showed a certain air censor needing replaced. There was a picture of one for200 $. I figured take it to the dealership and save a hundred dollars, since my policy is they fix it for nothing after $100 deductible. Before I got it there the second engine light came on, which means don't drive the sucker until you fix things. Had it towed to the dealership. Since it was over ten miles I paid $22. The rest was covered by the policy previously mentioned. They kept it all day, running tests and whatever else mechanics do when they can't find a problem. After they reset it the light failed to come on. So I pick it up in thr morning and pay the deductible with nothing resolved. "If the light comes on again bring it back." I hope me and the dealership don't get to know each other very well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2022 12:50 pm
I came up loving comedians. I wish I could feel the same now. Among contemporary comedians, there are rarely any who leave me laughing.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2022 01:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Check out James Acaster.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2022 08:20 pm
@izzythepush,
I watched two youtubes with him. He's a cut above many of them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2022 10:12 pm
A Twitterer asked, what makes us human?

I replied: Our insatiable need to meddle with everything, endlessly.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 08:12 am
@edgarblythe,
I feel the “golden age” of comedy/comedians (if there was one), has long been passed. “Modern” comedians like Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Robin Williams, Mel Brooks all raised the bar quite high.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 08:14 am
@Ragman,
You're not watching the right stuff.

Diane Morgan is the comic, Cunk is a persona.

Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 08:17 am
@izzythepush,
How do you mean?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 08:18 am
@Ragman,
Sorry, did post on ipad, then ran to computer to update it.
Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 08:23 am
@izzythepush,
I’m watching now. Very funny, so far!
izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 08:27 am
@Ragman,
Your best comics are over here too.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 08:44 am
I appreciate your efforts here. I will check these videos out as the day progresses.
Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 08:52 am
@edgarblythe,
Then there’s award-winning Trevor Noah, South African, star of TheDaily Sow, and now international star.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 09:00 am
@Ragman,
Trevor Noah is out of favour here after saying we were all racist and then claiming he didn't mean to say that.
Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 09:40 am
@izzythepush,
Understandable.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 09:52 am
@Ragman,
I think his words were taken out of context.

Quote:
The row began with a single call to a UK radio station, was stoked by one of America’s best-known comedians and ended with former cabinet ministers wading in – and Downing Street, too.

At the heart of the furore: a claim that Rishi Sunak had experienced a racist “backlash” after becoming the UK’s first British-Asian prime minister.

For many, how something across the Atlantic created such a kickback in Westminster is an example of the dangers of drawing direct cultural and political parallels between two differing nations – and the power of Twitter.

“There has been no racist backlash against Sunak from anybody with any public standing in Britain,” Sunder Katwala, director of British Future, a thinktank focusing on identity and integration, immigration and opportunity, told the Guardian.

“This shows more solid anti-prejudice norms in our media and politics than in the US.”

He was reacting to a segment on the US satirical news show, the Daily Show, in which Trevor Noah, a comedian who was born in apartheid era South Africa, alleged that Britons were concerned that “Indians are going to take over Great Britain”.

His polemic was inspired by a telephone caller on LBC radio who said Sunak was “not even British” and “doesn’t love England like Boris does”.

The caller, who claimed to be a Tory party member, added: “Could you imagine me becoming the prime minister of Pakistan or Saudi Arabia? No. These things matter. We’re talking about England – 85% of English people are white.”

“Watching the story of Rishi Sunak becoming England’s first prime minister of colour, of Indian descent, of all these things and then seeing the backlash, is one of the more telling things about how people view the role that they or their people have played in history,” Noah said in his response.

“You hear a lot of the people saying ‘Oh, they’re taking over, now the Indians are going to take over Great Britain and what’s next?’ And I always find myself going: ‘So what? What are you afraid of?’”

The comedian compared the caller to Tucker Carlson, the rightwing Fox News presenter, which led to accusations that he was “projecting” American views on race on to Britain.

Former cabinet minister Sajid Javid, who was Britain’s first non-white chancellor and home secretary, said Noah was “simply wrong” and called his monologue “a narrative catered to his audience, at a cost of being completely detached from reality”.

Britain, Javid insisted, was “the most successful multiracial democracy on Earth and proud of this historic achievement”.

Asked whether Sunak believes Britain is a racist country, a Downing Street spokesperson said: “No he doesn’t.”

Former Tory leadership contender Rory Stewart called Noah’s comments “completely bizarre” and “lazy stereotyping”.

It is hard to deny the LBC caller’s racism, Katwala explained, but the strength of feeling boils down to a simple belief – that while there is a “toxic rejectionist fringe with an excessive share of online voice” who might be more inclined to contact radio shows, their bigotry should not be held as representative of what Britons think.

“It’s important to understand the differences between the US and the UK,” he said.

“It’s an important problem for America, that in the Trump era people like Steve Bannon managed to dissolve the boundary between extreme politics and the Republican mainstream.

“You have Republican candidates having to be ambivalent about racism or prejudice, violent protests, false conspiracy claims.”

In the UK, he said, even the likes of Nigel Farage are still “aware of where that boundary is”.

Tom Holland, historian and author, added that the “inability of American liberals to understand the world beyond the US in anything but American terms is a thing of wonder. The likelihood of the rightwing party in the US choosing a Hindu as its leader is, I would agree, effectively zero.”

Plenty of people agreed with Noah, however. Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu, a British-Nigerian activist and author, said the presenter was “spot on”.

“There was and is backlash at Rishi Sunak’s appointment as Britain’s first Asian prime minister,” she wrote. “Don’t mind the liars denying it with their gaslighting. It’s what some Brits do best. They are so bold with their Caucacity. Keep speaking truth.”

Though Sunak’s appointment as PM was a historic moment for the UK, it drew a dividing line between those who celebrated the ascent of a Hindu politician and those who emphasised his policies would only deliver “more violence” for ethnic minorities. And though racism in the UK might not always be overt, critics said, there are plenty of examples of a more insidious form of oppression.

“It’s not as if representation doesn’t matter at all, but only measuring success on these terms is incredibly narrow,” Maya Goodfellow, author of Hostile Environment: How Immigrants Became Scapegoats, told the Guardian.

“It ignores racial disparities in Covid deaths, higher rates of poverty among certain racial groups or the Windrush scandal, which was just four years ago.

“The fixation on trickle-down equality obscures a thoroughgoing discussion about the way racism and, crucially, racial inequalities, change shape but continue to run deep in Britain.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/28/detached-from-reality-trevor-noah-view-of-racist-sunak-backlash-divides-opinion<br />
Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 10:57 am
@izzythepush,
Thanks for that except. Understanding what and who your new PM is about is very valuable to my understanding. Furthermore, understanding how both societies are dealing with racial differences and diversity is important.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 11:16 am
@Ragman,
To be honest with you, I think the main reason he lost to Liz Truss in the membership ballot is because of his race.

The party grass roots is a lot more reactionary than its MPs.

It's only party members too. We don't register as one persusion or another but we're free to join whatever party we choose.

That means members who have the vote are a lot smaller than supporters because most people don't want to bother with joining a party and paying a subscription.

Having said that Sunak is hardly representative of the immigrant experience. He's incredibly privileged, incredibly rich and went to the same schools as incredibly priviledged and rich white people.
Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 01:03 pm
@izzythepush,
As has been drilled into us, Money Talks!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2022 07:46 am
Saw a Far Side cartoon yesterday - When a snake trips. Funny as hell. Too bad I didn't get a link.
Wit. THis might get it.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/699465385865888101/
0 Replies