I'll just entertain myself

izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 12:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Elementary My Dear Watson, came from an early stage play not that long after Conan Doyle starting writing which is why it's so enduring.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 01:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I saw speculation that the Yankees have the money. I don't get why he would leave the Astros, but I am no baseball expert.

That's what I figure also. He is a little on the "elitist" type; therefore, a typical Yankee. Plus, I think he wants to put space between himself and the trashcan incident. Which I believe was created for him. I think he was having problems with reading pitches, his batting isn't as good as it used to be.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 01:32 pm
@Albuquerque,
Albuquerque wrote:

Well I guess I am getting old here...I loved the first series of Sherlock Holmes and hated the new millennial version of it!

The flawed yet flawless old Holmes was way more interesting character and less Hollywood then the new one...

I just accept it as two separate characters. That way I can enjoy them both.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 01:34 pm
@BillW,
I was a lifelong Yankees fan until the Astros gave me something to cheer about.
BillW wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

I saw speculation that the Yankees have the money. I don't get why he would leave the Astros, but I am no baseball expert.

That's what I figure also. He is a little on the "elitist" type; therefore, a typical Yankee. Plus, I think he wants to put space between himself and the trashcan incident. Which I believe was created for him. I think he was having problems with reading pitches, his batting isn't as good as it used to be.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 01:57 pm
I want to point out that sorghum and molasses are also healthy sugar substitutes. Does your wife like either of those?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 02:04 pm
@BillW,
Not much.
BillW

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 02:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have to have molasses every once in a while. In fact, just had some and some honey too.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 02:21 pm
@BillW,
I sometimes mix honey and molasses for pancakes.
BillW

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 02:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Mother told me her father had molasses and biscuits every morning for breakfast. It was the only sweet he every ate.

He was a dirt poor farmer, born in Tennessee, moved to Waco and finished up in Lubbock, Texas. Victim of the devastating Dust Bowl days, he never made it back thereafter.
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 02:47 pm
@BillW,
The great draught right? I saw that in a documentary long ago.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 03:48 pm
@BillW,
My folks had similar experiences. Followed the crops during the depression. Went to California, were turned away at the border for not having enough money. Eventually became house carpenters.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 05:15 pm
@Albuquerque,
Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - the setting was during the Dust Bowl ERA. And, per edgar's post after yours, his family made the same journey as the Joads and thousands of other families from Oklahoma and Texas. My family stayed - and Lubbock was in some of nastiest of the dust storms. In fact, Okie became a derogatory name because of all the dirt poor people invading movie land.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 05:28 pm
@BillW,
My folks went back to California a bit later and I spent ten years growing up there. Everybody I knew spoke with a deeply southern accent. I got ridiculed for calling aigs eggs.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 06:25 pm
@BillW,
I once drove from Tulsa to Dallas, and stopped at a convenience store in Paris, Tx. Coupla' guys came out from the bar next door. One of them pointed west with his thumb and said "Hey, Okie. California is thataway.

Well, welcome to Texas, and all that.
BillW

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 07:54 pm
@roger,
1st Okie to an Okie is not a derogatory term.
2nd I would have pointed north and said, "Why would I go over a thousand miles to get to Hell when paradise is just 25 miles that way!"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 08:29 pm
My mother and her family were born in Oklahoma. My son lives there today.
BillW

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 08:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
What cities, if I may ask.
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 08:57 pm
@BillW,
Saw that movie God knows when long ago...can't remember much of it except it was black and white and had a Trump like snake oil sales man character...maybe I am confusing with some other old movie, feel free to correct, fact check me on that.

If it is the movie I think it is it is super actual and explains very well how populism works...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 09:01 pm
@BillW,
The boy is in Gore. I have a brain fart - can't recall where Mom was born, but she lived in Muskogee.
BillW

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2022 10:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sallisaw is where the Joad family started out for California. Gore is just west and Muskogee, Capital of the Cherokee Nation, is just North of both. This is in the east center of the state. Oklahoma has such a lot of history for such a small state. This all happened during the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl. Of course, the wealthy increases their wealth in both good and bad times on the backs of the poor.

Albequerque, I don't know if this would be called Populism, but I do know the Novel pursued Unions and the land owners screwing the workers.

I lived through a minor 4 month dust storm era in 1976 and can't believe how someone could go through 3-4 years of those conditions.