I'll just entertain myself

BillW

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2022 11:12 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Avast, me hearties. Could ye be telling me what day 'tis? Arrr; it's not Talk Like a Pirate Day. I just thought ye might tell me what day 'tis.

November 20th twas National Absurdity Day!
https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-absurdity-day-november-20/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2022 01:23 pm
Everybody's heard
About absurd
Absurd absurd
Absurd is the word
Ma-ma-mow, pa-pa, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa
Ma-ma-ma-ma-mow, pa-pa, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa
Ma-ma-ma-ma-mow, pa-pa, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa
Ma-ma-mow, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa
Ma-ma-mow, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa
Ma-ma-ma-ma, ma-ma-mow
Ma-ma-ma-ma, ma-ma-mow
Ma-ma-mow, pa-pa, ma-ma-mow
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2022 11:05 am
Went grocery shopping today. My wife insisted on going along. I worried about it but agreed. After all, she ain't a kid no more. Got to let her make decisions. She pushed the grocery cart and at home helped to put away all the overpriced **** we bought. She now keeps the walker handy just to be cautious.
roger

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2022 12:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Just by the way, a grocery cart makes the best walker you can find - if only it would fold up to fit in a car.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2022 02:10 pm
@roger,
I've used carts for the same purpose. In her case I was worried the basket would be too heavy before we went to check out. She did great. In another week, while she won't be back to normal, she likely will appear to others to be so.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2022 03:54 pm
I haven't told this around to many people. My mother told me that had I been born a girl, my name would be Patsy Darlene. She didn't seem to be kidding. Made me grateful to be a male.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2022 04:39 pm
I just enjoyed a wonderful slice of pecan pie. Then I realized - I don't even know what I just ate, discounting the layer of nuts. Going to read the ingredients next time I go that way.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 02:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, I use Aunt Olivia's (Mr. G'bags aunt in North Carolina) recipe and I uses Molasses, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla,I like to drop in a little almond extract and I can't remember if it also calls for dark or light corn syrup (have to check the recipe)..........but molasses has a lot of perks and isn't as dangerous as white sugar.....by a miles and miles.

Anyhow, she made the best pecan pie I've ever had, and I'm not a big fan of sweet things to eat. Her fried chicken was incredible, by the way.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 02:41 pm
@glitterbag,
I can console myself that the only time I eat pecan pie is Thanksgiving and Christmas.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 03:55 pm
@glitterbag,
I made my pecan tarts with molasses, too. Very, very sweet. I'd love her fried chicken recipe Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 11:03 am
An odd thought hit me today for the first time. I was looking at a cartoon in which a woman was threatening to use the hose to flush out her husband from a tunnel that was much like a gopher's tunnel. It brought on memories of my step father running a hose into real gopher holes as long as it took to flush them out. And it hit me that he took me to a canal and tied a rope around me and tossed me in just to save on the cost of a bath. Confused
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 11:32 am
We went to the park for the first time since my wife injured herself. Without a walker or other assistance, she walked about halfway down one stretch and sat on a bench while I tossed peanuts for the birds and squirrels. The birds heralded our return with all kinds of squawks and screeches.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 12:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's good to hear.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 02:19 pm
@izzythepush,
I was so focused on her I forgot and made my walk sans cane and didn't suffer for it.
Mame

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 03:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ah... true love
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 07:19 am
Cane walking is much more complicated than simply walking with a stick to support a bad knee or other ailment. And different situations can have varied results. For instance, if I walk around the lake in the park, it's a systematic endeavor and it's very easy to fall into a pattern of lifting with the cane, causing the added weight to slam the better leg down. It's as though I'm jumping on that leg with every step. But walking around a supermarket floor is erratic, so such a pattern usually doesn't happen. That sort of explains why I can walk without a cane at times in the park and come away as breaking even.
BillW

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 01:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've never been able to master the cane - I've used a walking stick when I've needed help.
0 Replies