I'll just entertain myself

Mame

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 03:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, I know about the other sports as my son played hockey. He was drafted to a farm team and got slashed by a puck just below his lips because they didn't have face guards. I've read plenty on concussions in the various sports (luging, bobsled, as well as all the contact sports) and it's just stupid. Never mind those new vicious kick boxing-fighting sports. I just can't watch stupid people. Tennis elbow, throwing arms, hips out of place, spines compromised, brains ... just stupid. About as stupid as they get paid.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 06:59 pm
I understand how you feel. My position is, as I stated in an earlier post, I consider that humans are born to be territorial. It has to come out in some way. I prefer it like this over wars.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 10:12 am
The temp went from 85 degrees yesterday to cold enough I wore my warmest outfit to walk today. As soon as I finish this coffee going back out to get the street trash.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 11:29 am
@edgarblythe,
A person stopped in the street to hand me a ten spot. Lovely. That will get me some more bags.
Albuquerque

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 11:44 am
@edgarblythe,
What is a "ten spot"?
glitterbag

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 11:50 am
@Albuquerque,
It's 10 dollars U.S.
Albuquerque

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 11:51 am
@glitterbag,
...oh wow!
glitterbag

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 12:00 pm
@Albuquerque,
Edgar volunteers his time to pick up trash on his local street. I'm sure the $10 will pay for more trash bags........Unfortunately, many Americans are real slobs when it comes to their trash.
Albuquerque

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 12:02 pm
@glitterbag,
Gotcha now I get it!
Same time he exercises himself which is good!
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 12:17 pm
@Albuquerque,
The exercise is of equal import with my voluntary public service. I service an area about the length of three city blocks but it has lots of overgrowth and ditches and no sidewalk. Recently the new daycare center on the corner made it easier by developing a stretch. On the other corner a new shopping center, once completed, will relieve me of the need to pick up a stretch.
Albuquerque

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 12:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
Glad to know some of us clean instead of polluting, keep up the good work Ed!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 04:07 pm
One way they could give us some relief on gas prices would be to suspend gas taxes, at least until the crisis ends. When will this become a thing?
Mame

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 05:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Our government here in Alberta is thinking of eliminating the 13 cent/litre provincial tax. We just had a Federal carbon tax hike and we're getting another one on April 1st. I don't know why we bother - we're a country of 33 million people and India and China, who are doing nothing are at nearly 3 billion. We currently pay $156.9/litre and Vancouver and the Lower Mainland is paying $2.00/litre. Not too long ago it was 92 cents.
roger

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 05:46 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

We currently pay $156.9/litre and Vancouver and the Lower Mainland is paying $2.00/litre. Not too long ago it was 92 cents.

That just has to be a typo.
Mame

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 07:18 pm
@roger,
What's a typo? That's what we're paying. $156.9/litre.

Excerpts from the Calgary Herald:

Alberta currently has the lowest gas prices in the country, according to GasBuddy.com, with an average for regular gas at $1.58.9 per litre. B.C. has the highest prices in the country with the average being $1.94 and some stations selling gas at more than $2 per litre. The national average is $1.79.6. In Calgary, the average cost per litre is $1.59.9, up 12.6 cents per litre over the past week. It is the highest ever recorded in the city.

Gas prices at about $1.68 / litre are seen advertised on 16th Avenue N.E. in Calgary on Monday, March 7, 2022. Alberta has announced they are dropping the provincial sales tax on fuel to help consumers with surging prices.
roger

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 09:41 pm
@Mame,
Just looks like the first line has a misplaced decimal point. Really, one hundred fifty six dollars per liter does seem a bit high. In the excerpt, one dollar and fifty-nine seems more likely.
BillW

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 11:11 pm
@roger,
1gal US = 3.785 liters $1 US = $1.27725 Can

3.785 x $1.27725 = US$4.83439125 per gallon

Still sounds mighty expensive, that is without the cost of the gas added in.

I have a state tax of 19¢ US per gallon and a Federal tas.of 18.3¢ US per gallon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 12:21 am
I just know I bought half a tank today and paid what I had been spending on a whole tank.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 07:06 am
@roger,
you're right - I didn't notice that - thanks.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 09:43 am
A miserable day unfolding. Cold, nonstop raining. I think I will stay indoors and work on my stories. (When it looks like I'm on here all day it's because I work in short bursts and then browse and then write some more. I don't have that sustainability at any one thing.)
0 Replies