I'll just entertain myself

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2022 12:21 am
@Albuquerque,
We used to buy ten ounce Cokes from a machine while in grade school. We would pour salted peanuts into the bottle to eat and drink at the same time.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2022 12:49 am
@Albuquerque,
Albuquerque wrote:

Original formula?

Yes, with real sugar not the corn syrup version
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 07:47 am
One of my all-time artists/activists, Harry Belafonte, is 95 years old this day. The oldest records in my collection are two of his albums that I still listen to to this day.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 07:53 am
@edgarblythe,
I have had Kingston Town by him going through my head for a while now.

We had to sing it at primary school. We had various projects focused around singing and I think that was from the West Indies one.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 08:06 am
@izzythepush,
I bought all of his albums from the first through Jump Up Calypso, then skipped to Paradise in Gazankulu. This latter is a remarkable anti-apartheid statement as much as anything else but has a love song or two.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 08:20 am
Sister Helen Prejean
@helenprejean
ยท
25m
Congratulations to the people of Michigan on 175 years without the death penalty! Michigan's abolition bill took effect on March 1, 1847, making it the first English-speaking government in the world to prohibit capital punishment.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 08:34 am
@edgarblythe,
There is a very good TV drama starring Timothy Spall about the life of Albert Pierrepoint, third generation hangman after his father and grandfather. He executed a huge amount of people including Nazi war criminals.

In the end he became disillusioned with the whole process, being against capital punishment. He ended up taking small comfort from doing a good job, he executed people very quickly indeed and made sure their bodies were treated with respect.

Timothy Spall gives a very sympathetic portrayal.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 09:53 am
@izzythepush,
I was for the death penalty at one time. Then, when my oldest brother was murdered and the killer didn't spend a single day arrested I began to question the whole criminal justice system. Today, if the man were still alive and on trial I would not want that penalty even for him.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 09:57 am
@edgarblythe,
That is a very hard position to take. I admire you more for it.
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 10:11 am
@edgarblythe,
Death sentence is a check to complete lost of faith in Human species!
And yes by sheer statistics one ought to imagine how many innocents did it take already!

Portugal was the first European country to abandon Death Penalty I think in the XIX century! On a side note we come in third place regarding security and low rates of crime!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 10:17 am
Unjust sentences carried to extremes, such as Leonard Peltier, marijuana sentences, framed predominately black people - The whole system needs to be revamped.
Albuquerque

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 10:22 am
@edgarblythe,
What is your stance on Bernie? I know at large you are disappointed with Democrats but you can't be with Bernie.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 10:27 am
@Albuquerque,
I experienced on a lesser scale what Bernie experienced all these years from the 60s onward. As a politician he sometimes has to take stands that go against his better self and I can forgive it. I will support Bernie as long as we both are alive. Also, similar to both Bernie and MLK is Shaun King. I support Shaun same as I do Bernie.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 11:16 am
My quarrel with the Democratic Party is based on the fact they are the one organization big enough to right this mess and instead they slip farther into actions that contribute to our decline.
Albuquerque

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 11:19 am
@edgarblythe,
I was hopeful with Joe Biden until very recently, his personal history, everything would point to a sensible man...How naive was I?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 11:31 am
@Albuquerque,
Biden has a history of being counter to progressive goals while having a reputation as a kindly man prone to making gaffes while speaking. I voted for Mark Charles last election.
Albuquerque

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 11:34 am
@edgarblythe,
...yeah I know he is an old timer trying to adapt himself to a new world and never catching up!
And yes I saw some of those gaffs before!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2022 06:43 pm
I bet if people quit buying some of that overpriced **** they would start lowering the prices.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2022 03:29 pm
The weather's finally moderated enough I don't have to wear something to keep my arms warm. They get cold a lot more often in my old age. I wore long sleeves in the park today and covered up for my nap. But now a short sleeve shirt is all that's necessary.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2022 09:23 am
Before I started feeding peanuts to the squirrels and birds (mostly bluejays) I thought woodpeckers ate only bugs. But now I've got at least one taking the peanuts right along with the rest of them.
0 Replies