I'll just entertain myself

Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2022 12:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Makes no sense. Robots reading comprehension is severely lacking. You wuz robbed! Good thing it was minor.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2022 10:53 pm
Earworms are strange things. For me for several days it has alternated from one song and back to the other.

i.
Rock a bye, your baby,
with a dixie melody.
When you croon, croon a tune,
from the heart of dixie.

When the red angel comes and the TV is cold
Will you pray in the dawn for the rest of your soul
When you lie in the dour death coma
Do you think you're gonna go to heaven
With a violent heart
With a violent heart
Ahimsa in the life blood and torture
Ahimsa
Ahimsa is the seashell of Buddha
Ahimsa is the rose and the lamb
Ahimsa Ahimsa Ahimsa
When the red angel comes and the TV is cold
Will you pray in the dawn for the rest of your soul

I'm sure they will eventually go away.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 05:11 am
Up at 3am listening to Pavarotti singing Al Gnocchi Addio from Romeo & Juliet.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 06:33 am
@jcboy,
I don't often mention Pavarotti online, but I love him as much as the ones I do mention.
jcboy

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 06:39 am
@edgarblythe,
When I was a kid I saw Pavarotti’s last performance at the Hollywood Bowl. Front row center. He sang from a wheelchair. Never stood up once. Most people probably didn’t know he was in the chair, ferns covered the front of the stage but from where I was sitting I could see when they wheeled him out before the curtain opened.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 06:44 am
@jcboy,
Surprised to read that. I must do some research later this morning.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 06:48 am
Sometime today I should be ready to put my manuscript up for Grammarly to hit on. It's amazing how many corrections I've had to do before getting to this stage.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 06:59 am
Conversation I had on Youtube:

When I was a roofer, I told fellow roofers to put flashing in the valleys per the old way. To a man they told me they only would use the new way, which was simply to lace them up the valley without flashing. "My roofs never leak when I do it that way," they would tell me. Five years later, driving through the same neighborhoods we roofed, I saw that nearly every valley had to be replaced after a few years.

(edited)
You can put 15 pound tar roofing paper in valleys.

Just felt if it gets constantly wet can let a valley leak after a few years.

(edited)
Not if it's doubled. Plus also you can put shingles a foot and a half high up one side...nail a foot away from valley on both sides. Then do a cut... and under that cut are shingles going lengthwise up the valley. Timberline shingles.

I've seen valleys fail done that way. I spent a lot of years as a roof repairman. There's no excuse to cut corners.

it's not cutting corners. You are so negative. Stop acting like You know everything.

Have a nice day.

Note: She edited her comments after the conversation concluded. But she still is wrong. It doesn't take much extra effort to flash a valley in a way that will last as long as the shingles.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2022 09:07 am
I put Leaving Texas on my blog. Vocal won't accept new stories from me just now. An issue we may or may not resolve. If it hinges on my paying them $9.99 per month for the privilege they can stick it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2022 09:15 pm
Tried to write a review of a British novel called Bad Dog, but was not allowed.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2022 02:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Thanks anyway.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2022 08:27 am
TV headline just now: avocados price to skyrocket. I thought they were already overpriced. As much as I like them I don't have to eat any.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2022 02:07 pm
In order to not totally crap all over history, I brought the name of territorial governor Samuel Axtell into my last completed story. Turns out he led an amazing life. Here is a snippet from Wikipedia:

Legacy
Despite his total failure as governor, he was a brilliant jurist, and that is his political legacy. On the bench he endeavored at all times to secure what he saw fit to designate as "substantial justice" for all litigants, and judicial precedents which interfered with the main object of trials in his court, or with equity from his standpoint, were ruthlessly cast aside. However, his time on the bench was still marked with corruption, and many found his method of authority dictatorial. He often cast out any jury's opinion when he did not agree with it.

He is most remembered for two cases:

In a celebrated criminal trial at Las Vegas, New Mexico, Axtell had been warned that his life would be forfeited if he dared to sit in the case. Axtell took the bench, and promptly opened court on time. He compelled the sheriff to search all of the court attendants and the spectators before he allowed the case to proceed. As a result, forty-two revolvers were piled on the table, some having been taken from the attorneys in the case. Each man carrying a weapon into the court room was fined ten dollars for contempt of court, and no show of resistance was made when the fine was collected. The event was heavily covered in newspapers as a "triumph of law over the lawlessness" of the Wild West.

In another case before him the defendant, a poor young man, whose farm was in jeopardy, had no attorney. Seeing that the case was going against the man unless he could obtain legal counsel, Judge Axtell descended from the bench and began conducting the cross-examination with the remark: "It takes thirteen men to steal a poor boy's farm in New Mexico." Upon the conclusion of the submission of evidence, he instructed the jury to find a verdict on behalf of the defendant. When the foreman announced a disagreement, the judge discharged the jury, announced a verdict in behalf of the defendant, and told the sheriff never to allow any one of the discharged jurymen to serve again in San Miguel County. This case was the epitome of his dictatorial use of authority, but it was seen that he did it for the common good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2022 11:24 pm
Axtell's predecessor refused to award Pat Garrett his bounty money for killing Billy the Kid. It took an act of the territorial government to reverse the call.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2022 03:21 pm
Leaving Texas had an angle at the end suggesting a sequel. I had to get on it this morning. The Outlaw Rides is off to a great start.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2022 12:06 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2022 10:51 am
A few days ago USPS informed us arrival of our 4 free covid tests was imminent. The designated day came and went. We were told the tests were delivered. Still no tests. I wonder who is employing them?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2022 02:03 pm
Now the USPS claims to have a package for us to be delivered on Tuesday. Don't know what else it could be but the Covid tests. I don't stress over it. Me and the Mrs already had covid and may get it again and I don't see much use for the tests. If I test negative today I could pick up the virus tomorrow. Most people around here don't truly distance themselves and less than half wear masks in public places.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2022 03:20 pm
My son just told me he had the virus before the lockdowns started. He might not have mentioned it if I hadn't asked. Says he has some permanent lung damage. But he still works, still functions.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2022 03:26 pm
For what it's worth, it seems the mask requirement has been dropped in NM, even drug stores and restaurants. I'm okay with that, but I do hope it isn't a little premature.