I'll just entertain myself

Mame

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 08:37 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

My idea of a “smart tv” is when you take it out of the box and plug it in, it automatically blocks Fox News and everything with a Kardashian in it.

I don't understand why anyone would care or watch anything about those grifters.
jcboy

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 08:39 am
@Mame,
I've never watched it at all, but I have this one friend that never misses that show. I just don't get it!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 08:55 am
I've never felt an urge to learn about the Kardasians.
jcboy

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 08:59 am
@edgarblythe,
You got me curious how they became famous so I googled it,

"How did Kim Kardashian become famous? ... Kardashian remained mostly unknown until early 2007, when a sex tape featuring her and her boyfriend, Ray J, leaked online. The attention helped the Kardashian family land a reality TV series."

So this is what TV has come to?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 09:03 am
@jcboy,
It no longer surprises or amazes me. This is not the same reality in which I grew up - 1940s and 50s.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 10:04 am
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/273888589_4828730127224536_8010847736835810353_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=I7edFzyG-TwAX81Co7R&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.fna&oh=00_AT8yUuQgBq3smzSPZ61z-TeEJnHeH4JvcjIxeOK-jBWi5A&oe=620A9342
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 01:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes, but if you ever do subscribe, you won't have to waste your time renewing those subscriptions. They're happy to do it for you.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 02:07 pm
@roger,
Yes. That's why I don't generally pay recurring bills online.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 06:03 pm
Watching local news just now. Students of a local middle school chased down a coach and beat him up.
BillW

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 06:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Tomball Tumblers Tussel with Gymnastic Coach
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 06:56 pm
@BillW,
CYPRESS, Texas — Some middle school students are accused of assaulting a coach outside Langham Creek High School.

Video shared on social media appears to show an adult struggling to defend himself against at least four attackers while others record the incident.

Multiple sources say the adult is a Langham Creek High School baseball coach who was harassed, chased and struck Thursday evening after asking a number of middle schoolers to leave the practice area.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 09:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
These kids deserve some hefty punishment.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 10:10 pm
@glitterbag,
They were taken into custody.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 10:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2022 11:45 pm
It's been a lazy day. Got up at 7:30, sat down in the recliner to watch morning news, promptly fell asleep for an hour and a half. Made pancakes for breakfast. Left the dishes for about an hour ago. Ate dinner at Denny's. Lazed around. Now it's nearing bedtime. Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2022 08:41 am
I read a story yesterday about two bear hunter brothers. One accidentally killed the other then killed himself.
Mame

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2022 08:51 am
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, I saw that, too. Sad.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2022 10:31 am
Gwladys Fouche
Sun, February 13, 2022, 4:10 AM·2 min read
By Gwladys Fouche

OSLO (Reuters) - A vault built on an Arctic mountainside to preserve the world's crop seeds from war, disease and other catastrophes will receive new deposits on Monday, including one from the first organisation that made a withdrawal from the facility.

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault, on Spitsbergen island halfway between mainland Norway and the North Pole, is only opened a few times a year to limit its seed banks' exposure to the outside world.

On Monday, gene banks from Sudan, Uganda, New Zealand, Germany and Lebanon will deposit seeds, including millet, sorghum and wheat, as back-ups to their own collections.

The International Center for Agricultural Research in Dry Areas (ICARDA), which moved its headquarters to Beirut from Aleppo in 2012 because of the war in Syria, will deposit some 8,000 samples.

ICARDA made the first seed withdrawal from the vault in 2015 to replace a collection damaged by the war, and two further withdrawals in 2017 and 2019 to rebuild its own collections, now held in Lebanon and Morocco.

"The fact that the seed collection destroyed in Syria during the civil war has been systematically rebuilt shows that the vault functions as an insurance for current and future food supply and for local food security," said Norwegian International Development Minister Anne Beathe Tvinnereim.

The vault, which holds over 1.1 million seed samples of nearly 6,000 plant species from 89 seed banks globally, also serves as a backup for plant breeders to develop new crop varieties.

The world used to cultivate over 6,000 different plants but U.N. experts say we now get about 40% of our calories from three main crops - maize, wheat and rice - making food supplies vulnerable if climate change causes harvests to fail.

(Editing by John Stonestreet)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2022 05:04 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

These kids deserve some hefty punishment.

Friends of the kids from their school began threatening to shoot up the school. So far nothing has happened, except security measures were taken.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2022 11:03 am
I responded to a post showing handheld blowtorches on Facebook yesterday. When I went to the site this morning I was hit with a blurb telling me I had violated their terms of service by stating "I would burn the house down if I tried to use one of those." I didn't argue with them, since it's all automatic nonhuman reactions and they would never give in. It was a throwaway comment anyhow. So it was permanently erased and life went on.