I'll just entertain myself

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 07:40 am
They need to invent shoes with socks already in them. You could unlock them and pull them out for the wash.
Mame

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 12:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why? Do you happen to have a lot of odd socks? My husband is always losing one or two somewhere between the washer and the dryer so I've taken to only buying the same colour and make. That way, he doesn't know if he's lost one and therefore doesn't agonize over it, lol.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 01:07 pm
@Mame,
There are no mismatches among my socks. I buy identical ones enough that if one gets lost I don't even know it. I just get tired of putting them on every day.
roger

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 01:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Mine are all the same, too. Sometimes after doing laundry, I do end up with an extra sock. Wait a few weeks, and they all suddenly match up.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 01:49 pm
@roger,
My toenails grow fast and are a challenge to cut. Often a sock will get snagged on a nail making it extra time and effort to take care of it.
Mame

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 04:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Do you have a wife? Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 05:02 pm
@Mame,
Her vision is not so good. I don't want her cutting on my nails.
Ragman

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 06:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
I’ve tried using a belt sander for my toenails. You only need to do it one time!

Seriously, I’ve got a problem trying to cut my toenails. My body is not so flexible as it once was and my stomach seems to get in the way. Luckily I’ve got a sharp cutter as long as my glasses are on, I’ve got
a fair chance of lining things up without losing a toe. If I need a transfusion or oxygen, I’m not far from the hospital.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 06:29 pm
@Ragman,
I haven't found a clipper that really works so well. Sharp. Yes. Big enough; maneuverable - no.
Mame

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 06:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
When my poor old late FIL had an appointment for a pedicure, he decided to wash his feet before going, so he propped himself up, stuck one foot in the sink and promptly fell and hit his head. Blood on the brain. He was in hospital for 3 months and they wouldn't release him to his wife because they were both over 90 and she'd already broken a wrist twice and then a hip.

I've never understood why he didn't just sit on the edge of the bathtub.

Go for a pedicure. They also wash your feet!
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 07:23 pm
@Mame,
I'm not so frail, yet. Not so long ago I had an accident on the porch step when something distracted me. I tumbled down five steps and stopped against the fence. Got up. No bumps, bruises, or scratches. Went about my business. Knowing how to take a fall is a skill I learned because falling was always a threat on the jobs I worked. Normally I don't put myself in danger of a fall that could involve hitting my head.
BillW

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 07:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm lucky, my wife does it for me. I have one big toe that if done wrong, leads to an in grown toenail and it takes years and a lot of pain to fix. She has figured out how to best cut it.
Mame

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 07:46 pm
@BillW,
Straight across, right?
BillW

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 07:58 pm
@Mame,
Not exactly, but my uncle taught me to do that years ago. That doesn't work because the nail starts rolling into the skin at the top of the toe. It takes cutting it just short enough on the edge that the "roll" doesn't occur under the edge of the skin fold. Then it is a balancing act of cutting often enough.

I think your method would work if I could keep it cut often enough, but I can't see go enough and if I remember correctly, this is cutting above the little barb growing out and eventually that barb will grow back under the fold of skin. Just keep it above the skin! A delicate balance.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 09:00 pm
I have to be careful about ingrown nails too. Never had one, but the way some are shaped it's a distinct possibility.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 10:24 pm
@BillW,
See a podiatrist and get the goods from him. They are wonderful for that - all they study is feet!
roger

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 10:41 pm
@Mame,
What kind of boredom inspires such a career choice?
Mame

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 10:48 pm
@roger,
No studying, no major exams, good $$... I should have done that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 10:52 pm
Those things they trim horse hooves with is what I need.
BillW

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 11:13 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

See a podiatrist and get the goods from him. They are wonderful for that - all they study is feet!

The last time I had to cut the thing out was over thirty years ago, can you say, "Thankee Lord"! Just keep it going as is, is my current rule of thumb.
0 Replies