I'll just entertain myself

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2021 09:51 am
@edgarblythe,
What about a make of shotgun like Purdey or Longthorne?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2021 10:01 am
@izzythepush,
I might look into it. I want one short and catchy. Like a real shotgun killer from those days, known as Killer Miller. He hid behind things and shot the unexpecting.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2021 02:00 pm
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2021 02:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Local flora and fauna?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2021 03:03 pm
@izzythepush,
Could call her Tumbleweed Sally. I'll keep looking.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2021 06:04 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm thinking to continue writing about her for now and see if something is suggested in the coming narrative. She is one of the central characters, so to me her name is important.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2021 01:55 am
@edgarblythe,
If you're anything like me you won't know what's going to happen until you start writing.

I had a broadbrush, I knew where I was going to start and end, but the bit in the middle was all a bit vague.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2021 05:38 am
@izzythepush,
I have a general goal in mind, but let the characters take me there if they will. I have replaced uncooperative characters from stories and replaced them with some more compliant with my goals in the past.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2021 05:55 am
@edgarblythe,
My last book was a sequel to my first.

It starts off with him in Amsterdam but the last one ended with him in Glastonbury so I had to get him there, wor, out how he did it and why he had to go there.

Even when I got him to Amsterdam there was still a way to go before he caught up with events in the first chapter.

I didn't know how any of it would happen until I started writing.

Then, as it's set in Amsterdam I had to introduce some characters inspired by people I'd met there.

Only one actually, an annoying gobshite who acted like he was the personification of all things Amsterdam.

He picked the wrong people to talk to, he thought we were on a stag do, and willing to subsidise an unofficial guide to the Red Light District.

We weren't and his character met a grisly end in the novel, although I wouldn't be surprised if he was still there, cadging spliffs, beers and sex shows off the stagnighters.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2021 06:09 am
In this instance it's the fourth story I have done about Mexican Red. He fled to Texas to avoid the law. Not being wanted there, the bounty hunters can't kill him without being charged and hanged. When he rescues one of their intended victims they hatch a plot to take him back to New Mexico before they can kill him and get the bounty. As an aside I managed to get in Red's disgust with slave owners such as Jim Bowie and one other who died in the Alamo. Didn't preach or let it distract from the story.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2021 07:03 am
@edgarblythe,
I did go to the Alamo. When I was in San Antonio I bought a bottle of tequila and told the shop keeper not to bother with a bag.

It was only then I was told I could be arrested for not having it hidden.

After having seen all the guns on display in my travels I was gobsmacked.

I've just walked back from the supermarket, passed two blokes drinking beer in cans on the way. I thought nothing of it until now. There are areas where public drinking is not allowed, but there aren't many, and even there you wouldn't get into trouble for carrying an unopened bottle.

Drunkeness in itself isn't a crime over here, it's only when you get aggressive, then you can be charged withbding drunk and disorderly.

If you're a nice quiet drunk you can sit on a park bench drinking to your heart's content.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2021 07:18 am
@izzythepush,
Around here public drinking is frowned upon. Have any kind of auto accident or get pulled over by the cops the slightest indication of drinking can land one in a heap of trouble. Years ago I used to openly drink while driving. But when the laws tightened up I quit. But I don't much drink anymore. My last drink was last New Years. Then it skips back another year.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2021 08:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Drink driving is something else.

I never do it, if I'm driving I won't have anything, not even a taster at a drinks stall at the market.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2021 04:19 pm
It rained most of today. Tree limb fell and broke a hole in the roof. I got out there in the rain and climbed up to have a look. It was a pinky finger size poke. So I have a can of wet/dry roof cement. At first it wouldn't stay in the hole and seal the sides. Finally a trowel smoothed it nicely. Stopped the leak until I can get back and make it permanent.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 06:06 am
So far, six of my relatives I know about have had Covid. None had to be hospitalized. Some had shots. Some not. I plan to have the booster when it's time.
Ragman

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 06:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Yikes! Glad you’ve doing well. Keep on keeping on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 09:02 am
Didn't know there were Far Side cartoons.
Mame

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 11:25 am
@edgarblythe,
Neither did I.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 01:40 pm
It rained more today. My patch held. I still need to improve on it to be sure it lasts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 01:54 pm
I took a look at the first two Seinfeld episodes on Netflix. Back in the day I was immediately hooked. I lived from week to week to see each episode. Today I didn't feel so excited. Perhaps its because I've moved on since then. I watched the entire series and then tuned in the reruns until I finally had enough and turned it off. It used to rank with my all-time favorite series. Now I gaze back fondly, but will never watch it again.