I'll just entertain myself

Mame

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 03:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've recently rewatched Absolutely Fabulous, Spitting Image(s), and Hollywood Squares Smile It's fun, isn't it?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 03:07 pm
@Mame,
I sort of like shows like that. But I usually put them on when I'm ready to nap. Hollywood Squares will be quipping and I may be smiling, but at any point I can drop off.
Mame

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 04:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good way to get to sleep at night, then Smile I watch a lot of documentaries. I love getting informed. Just the other day I found out about citric acid. I had no idea it could clean things and I have a pound of it in the basement. Yay. Tonight I'm going to run it through my dishwashers and put some in the toilets. I watch North Woods Law and Lone Star State, the Mountain Men, and all kinds of shows about the north north (Alaska, our Territories, etc). Good way to see how to live off the grid if you ever have to. Different living styles.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 05:35 pm
@Mame,
I rarely watch documentaries because I have a hard time understanding the words these days. I have to take everything in shorter form.
Ragman

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 05:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Do think it’s your hearing or is it concentration? I sometimes put closed-captions on as I’ve got problems with dialogue in the programs. I think the same is true for documentaries.

I must admit I’ve got some issues with my banking and credit card account details so I’ve got my significant other double check me so I don’t miss payments or totals. I make sure she has my passwords and keeps my running totals.
Ragman

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 05:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Seinfeld is pretty dated. It’s like a joke you already know the punchline of. I watch Netflix and Amazon Prime for shows that capture my attention.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 05:57 pm
@Ragman,
Even when I was a kid someone talking for long stretches turned into a wordless drone. I would vow to listen to all, but that invariably happened. Now that I am hard of hearing it's gotten worse.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2021 09:47 am
Just read this and decided to share. If you are squeamish maybe skip.
https://vocal.media/fiction/bob-bodey-s-body-parts
roger

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2021 10:52 am
@edgarblythe,
That was definately weird. And very, very long
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2021 11:23 am
@roger,
A bit long, but I had to finish it once started.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2021 09:47 am
A neighbor has begun filling potholes with concrete. They filled a series not far from my home and it has held pretty good. The thing of it is, they want donations to take it further. My next door neighbor informed me. At first I wanted to give as much as I could afford. Then I considered, for years I alone have been keeping the entrance and mailboxes picked up and clean. In fact I just completed a run. These same people have never offered me a donation for what I do. So I still think they deserve donations, but not from me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2021 12:22 pm
While cleaning around the bank of mailboxes today I saw that more than half of the locks in the back are missing now. Mailboxes that are locked for the customers are open at the rear, exposing the mail in every unit to thievery and even heavy rain. My box is secure for now.

I looked online.

Who is Responsible for Repairing Cluster Mailboxes?
According to USPS regulations, the property owners, builders, or developers are responsible for repairing cluster mailboxes. Property owners can appoint a manager to ensure that the mailbox meets the postal service regulations. The installation, maintenance, purchase, and replacement of the USPS approved mailbox are also the property owners' responsibility.

So I have to alert as many residents as I can and hopefully people will gather to decide a way to handle this.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2021 09:12 pm
I noticed in Forest Gump how anything remotely leftwing got trashed. It made me wonder how many writers take advantage of their situation to inject propaganda into stories. I'm usually open with my opinions. Still, as in Leaving Texas, I'm not above slipping in a few barbs. Note the excerpt below:
He rode free after that, for he was unwanted in the Lone Star country. Never had he elected to be in this state, but once in he kept riding all the way to San Antone. At one point, he paused before the Alamo and snorted derisively as he came up, having known black men who once were tagged, “personal property” by Jim Bowie. Travis too owned slaves, one of whom survived the onslaught of Santa Ana. Such trading of humans by other humans left a bad taste in his mouth. The old mission had been deservedly neglected since Santa Ana’s assault. He hoped the Alamo would be forgotten.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2021 08:54 am
There is a facebook thread about Bob Wells' funeral. There is a cluster of friends in a photo that features Bob's Porsche. They got this far with it before realizing the ashes they were about to spread had inadvertently been left home. I would have been there with them but lacked the resources to make it there.
Mame

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2021 09:01 am
@edgarblythe,
It was very sad to lose Bob. And so many others. One never gets used to it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2021 11:50 am
@edgarblythe,
Forest Gump is a whitewashing of Southern conservativism (and all of its postbellum racist trappings) distilled into a singular scene of Gump picking up the books of Vivian Malone Jones during the desegregation of the University of Alabama and Governor Wallace's school door stance as the symbolic acts of a supposedly true Southern conservative. Thus the movie pivots attention away from the South's crimes in its condemnation of American liberalism through it's arch-liberal scapegoat Jenny Curran.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2021 12:20 pm
@InfraBlue,
Another aspect of Forest Gump, it weakens a wall between choosing good leaders, making idiots like Bush and Trump more acceptable in the public mind.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2021 08:58 pm
uluL - Lulu spelled backwards
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2021 08:14 am
When I removed the battery to replace it in my smoke detector, I was greeted by a notice printed inside the battery compartment. "The battery has been removed," it read. The entire smoke detector had also been taken down from the wall. I looked for a notice to be informed of that, but there was none. I bet more than even odds there will be no notice when I rehang it. Ha. I am ahead by two points this morning.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2021 08:23 am
For those who missed it, there was a four day search conducted for a 3 year old boy who went into the woods and got lost. I agonized the whole time, fearing the worst. But he had walked five miles by the time he was found and he is doing well now. At the same time, considering how many children are at risk daily, all over the world, one might wonder why the singling out of the one child. I think it's because we've got to have faces for our hopes and fears. It doesn't mean we care less for the others at all.
0 Replies