Come out of your half-dreamed dream
And run, if you will to the top of the hill
Come into my arms, bonnie Jean
Jean
La-la-la-la
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2021 09:05 am
I watched Henry Fonda in Drums along the Mohawk when I saw everything on a 17" black and white TV with a coathanger antenna. I was young enough I likely missed much that I might have caught today. About an hour ago I scrolled the TV channels and caught the final few minutes of it. Who knew it was in color? It was the final scene when the army marched into the settlement with the nation's new flag. As they were installing it at the top of the tower the camera panned faces. Among the more prominent was a black woman, looking proudly on, understanding the flag furled for her as much as anybody. Next, a Native American chief. He stood tall and straight as a soldier stands, saluting the flag. It was irony that would have been lost on me at an earlier time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2021 12:52 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/241419861_10158844047930353_2103153058866401652_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=pbZEdGbsWQoAX8pYWtl&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.fna&oh=53fc695c4cc3b744a7362c5a80caed4d&oe=615C5AE0
Mame

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2021 02:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Amen to that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2021 03:16 pm
I just saw another vestige of the old life die in me. Coming out of the little store around the corner, I was approached by a seemingly very nice man. He gave me a baggie of home-grown peppers and promptly drove away. In another time I would have taken them home and gratefully made use of them. But there were misgivings right away and in the end I tossed them. Can't be too careful sounding in my head. Aye - I miss the old days.
Mame

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2021 04:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hear you. A friend of mine told me this afternoon that the owner of a little restaurant we frequent was beaten up by a bunch of thugs at closing time because he wouldn't let them use the bathroom. He wound up in hospital and his place is closed. Her niece also was walking with 2 girlfriends and a male friend. Some 'brown-skinned" guys came up and roughed up the girls and beat up the male. Witnesses and videos, but when the police came, they called the racist card and the police dropped it.

Life is getting weirder and weirder. People are so angry!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2021 05:51 pm
Every time my wife leaves the house I worry until she comes home. I used to not worry about it very much.
Mame

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2021 06:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's getting so it's dangerous to even look at someone. Remember I posted a bit ago about a woman who was shot and killed by the people in the car next to her at a stop light? She just looked at them and they shot her.

Where to move? Where to move? Is anywhere safe anymore?

We've had more protests and uprisings here since the pandemic began than in all of our history - angry protesters are clogging the entrances to the hospitals and EMS vehicles can't get through, they're dogging, heckling, jeering, and shouting racist and misogynist things at the Prime Minister's election rallies.

What the hell is going on out there? This is NOT the way we're used to people behaving. Of course, vaccine mandates are being considered or have been adopted here and there across the country... that may be part of it.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2021 06:21 pm
I believe the pandemic plus climate and economic uncertainty has the general population rattled, fearful, upset that life is so much harder than it has to be. Where do the crazy ones come from? Yep. The same general population we all come from. Some of us have less fortitude than others.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2021 01:29 am
@Mame,
Glad I live somewhere with sensible gun control.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2021 06:17 am
@izzythepush,
Here in Texas gun control is how well you can aim it.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2021 06:26 am
@edgarblythe,
At the beginning of August a gunman killed five others including his own mother in Plymouth Devon. It was the worst mass shooting for a decade, the previous one being in 2010 in Cumbria when 12 people were killed.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2021 06:34 am
@izzythepush,
Those who make bullets ought to be incarcerated for life.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2021 06:53 am
@edgarblythe,
Agreed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2021 08:04 am
When your face bears the topography similar to pictures sent back by the Mars rovers it's difficult to get a good shave.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2021 09:42 pm
Got myself set up on Vocal. Put three stories there so far. Already earned 2 pennies.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2021 08:04 am
It took this old fossil a whole day to get the paying mechanism set up on the site mentioned in my last post. In fact I had to get my wife to do it for me because I don't have a sophisticated phone like hers. Couldn't use it is why I don't.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2021 08:24 am
@edgarblythe,
I’m the oldest in the house, surrounded by young tech savvy relatives.

I don’t have to do any technical stuff.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2021 08:47 am
When my 40 year old daughter was just a kid she would ace the games I was playing. I never did save the princess in the original Mario game.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2021 08:52 am
@edgarblythe,
I never played any Mario games.

I did play Donald Duck’s Quack Attack.