I'll just entertain myself

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 07:04 am
At the end of 2020 I had my transmission rebuilt. They did a decent job and I didn't need to buy another vehicle. Then last week it began to lose its fluid. One of the lines right on the transmission sent out fluid in a steady stream. It was Friday about four PM. The transmission guy said I could get it dropped on his lot to be looked at Monday. Since the pick up truck was sitting in front of a little gas-store business I had little choice. For $85 bucks they delivered it and put the key in a drop box. Imagine my feelings when on Monday I called to check the work's progress when the man told me, "I don't have a Ford Ranger." I imagined the truck's remains in a chop shop somewhere. So I called the wrecker service. He said, let me call the transmission guy. Twenty minutes later the transmission guy called and did have it after all. Great sigh of relief. But that set the process back by a day. I plan to start calling about it just after lunch. I hope he has me some good news.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 09:28 am
@edgarblythe,
It's such a beautiful song.

For me, nothing can break my heart like the K D Lang version. The one listed in the article is pretty wonderful. Leonard's in the audience, which you see at the end.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 12:00 pm
That feeling of satisfaction when the Jeopardy contestant has answered a dozen questions you'd had no clue about and then you get one that he(she) misses.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 12:39 pm
@Joeblow,
I saw her open for Sting in Vancouver and she brought the whole place down into a depression. It took the band over 20 minutes to get it back up to the excitement level before she came on.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 12:48 pm
@Mame,
I enjoy both artists. I kind of don't see them sharing the same stage.
Mame

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 02:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
She went through a long phase where she just sang downer songs. Probably Sting should have asked to see her song list because it was just atrocious. I've never liked her stuff. I don't like Debbie-Downers.

It was a weird combo, for sure! She and Jann Arden (back in the day) could have made people commit suicide.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 09:56 pm
@Mame,
I only have listened to individual recordings of either of them, so I have no concept of their concerts.
Joeblow

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 04:16 am
@edgarblythe,
Ditto
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 11:12 pm
The sanctions on Cuba are the root cause of unrest. Today I keep seeing posts on social media that say Cuba has developed 2 Covid vaccines. But they can't use them because Biden has blocked their right to purchase syringes. This, according to one poster on Twitter after Cuba mentioned they might give the formulas to other countries. I haven't seen confirmation of any of this, but am willing to bet there is more than a smidgeon of truth to it.
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 12:42 am
@edgarblythe,
The US has to knock off this sanction. It's 60 years out of date and shouldn't have been implemented in the first place. Those people are not going to hurt anyone. Communism has killed that country. They are starving.

But surely they can get medical supplies from China or Russia.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 06:59 am
@Mame,
In my opinion it's the sanctions keeping the country down, not the form of government. Sanctions always do the greatest damage to the people who are after all like you and me. The rest of the world would be fine with taking the boot off their neck, but not this and the last administration.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 07:02 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Communism has killed that country.

American sanctions killed the country. Communism kicked out organised crime and gave them decent health care.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 09:29 am
I've been watching the most depressing film I've seen in years. I had to break away. Van Damme in Hell. Who watches **** like this?
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 10:36 am
@edgarblythe,
Who makes **** like that? I can't watch depressing or psycho-scary stuff. I get nightmares.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 12:40 pm
Sometimes I put on a film on Roku, knowing it will put me to sleep for my daily nap. I was expecting dumb Chuck Norris type theatrics today. Something too dull to keep me awake. Oh well. Back to the westerns for that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 03:51 pm
I was just reading that a pig farm that feeds prisoners got air conditioning, while the prisons have none for prisoners. "Pigs can't sweat," they gave as the reason. Suicide attempts spike in Texas prisons during the hot part of summer.
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 04:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maybe they should put some prisoners to work on the pig farm.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 05:55 pm
@Mame,
I would bet they do. Free labor.
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 05:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think they'd have to pay them, but then... they could pay for the a/c.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 06:20 pm
@Mame,
I think prisoners get a few bucks for a day's labor. woop
Guess I was wrong.
"Texas is one of only five states — all in the South — where workers in correctional facilities are not paid. ... Their labor helps make the Texas Correctional Industries (TCI), one of the most profitable in the country."