I'll just entertain myself

Joeblow

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2022 10:25 am
@edgarblythe,
Hope that continues Edgar, and that you avoid it.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2022 10:53 am
@Joeblow,
Thank you. She is getting better now. Still has a sore throat and runny nose. I've avoided it so far.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2022 07:39 am
I'm retiring from my weekly trash pick-up, in part. The terrain is too rough for one with my bad knees. Going to limit it to clean-up around the mail area and ignore all else. I've shown the people what can be done if one has the gumption to act. Now it's up to them.
Joeblow

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2022 08:43 am
@edgarblythe,
Hope they don't disappoint, though I guess I expect it to take a while for anyone to clue in
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2022 09:08 am
@Joeblow,
The area in question has been shrinking due to encroaching commercial building. A person with good legs could do it in about fifteen minutes. When I first began this task, it was after I paid off my home. I went out and began picking up eight bags of trash every day for a few months. Now it amounts to about what would fill a kitchen waste can, once a week. If that's too much we will just revert to the old days.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2022 05:57 am
Went to a new restaurant yesterday. It opened for business last week. I had a half rack of ribs. She had some chicken. The meat was delicious. But the mountain of fries had a whole shaker of salt dumped on them, so it tasted. They went back. We agreed it's not going to make the cut of places we like to visit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 06:52 am
Yester evening I made the determination that I will not clean around the mailboxes. But if it gets too bad may reconsider.
Ragman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 08:31 am
@edgarblythe,
That makes sense based on your recounting the history. Let someone else step forward. Most likely the littering won’t stop but those few conscientious one or two people might become motivated to shovel in.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 08:53 am
@Ragman,
If they realize I'm no longer doing it maybe they will ease up for someone else. I doubt it because some think being an asshole makes them a hero. Anyway, my knees are most important to me right now.
Ragman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 01:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Makes good sense.

After doing all the scraping, power washing and doing prep work prior to painting my deck, I empathize. My knees complain just going up a set of stairs. Not that it stops me. I may try a bike ride around my lake soon as it cools off just to see how they handle it.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 02:13 pm
@Ragman,
One of my knees is a prime candidate for replacement. I haven't done it in part because I still get around. But also my Medicare and the plan I carry make it expensive for me. The last time my wife had her knee done they gave her minimal care. Meaning they didn't give her a chance to be able to stand up and take some steps before sending her home. Not sure I want the indignity.

When her first knee was done, same place, same team, she was treated well and had therapy sessions. The difference is, the SOBs keep defunding what Medicare covers. Even Biden is working against us on it.
Ragman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 02:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
You’ve got my sincere sympathy. Is that the protocol for that one facility or broadly?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 02:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's awful, alghougn over here under the Tories yog'd be put on a waiting lists, and waiting times have shot up considerably since Johnson became pm.

Officially 18 weeks is the longest wait from being seen by a vonsultant but people have been kept waiting for 18 months and even longer.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 02:37 pm
@Ragman,
I'm not sure. But my daughter and wife both swear by this doctor's abilities and as most people know, I don't have faith in many doctors.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 02:39 pm
@izzythepush,
Could they be slowly Americanizing it?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 02:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
There is a report out recommending charging for hospital stays.

I can't see them even trying. The NHS is like a state religion over here. It's one of the few things most people believe in
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 03:25 pm
@izzythepush,
The people over here believe in Universal healthcare too, but the government is too chickenshit to pass it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2022 03:16 pm
I sideswiped a curb and put a bubble on my tire. So I bought a cheap new one. Cheap new tires are no longer cheap.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 01:20 am
Harry Relph was a vaudeville act in the late 19th/early 20th Centuries.

His was less than five feet tall and his stagenamecwas Little Titch.

This name came from his supposed resemblace to the Titchborne claimant, a Victorian cause celebre where a rough Australian butcher claimed to be a lost baronet.

Words like titchy, meaning very small are a result of Harry Relph.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2022 09:48 am
So far this month I have three dead trees caused by drought. I did water them, but too little too late. One cypress, two pines. Since I moved here I have had to cut six trees already. This so far will make it nine. My lot sits higher than the rest of the neighborhood, thus making the trees stand up higher from the water table. That's why I haven't seen this in other yards as yet. The 100 degree days make it brutal for plants in dire need of water.
0 Replies