I'll just entertain myself

coluber2001

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2022 05:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
I never did watch The Magnificent Seven. It copied the Seven Samurai, and I didn't think that could be matched.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2022 05:28 pm
@coluber2001,
I love westerns. Not that one.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2022 08:00 pm
I just saw Enter the Dragon, the first time I watched Bruce Lee, which is what made me think of hyped films I skipped. I liked this one, but I think if they were to be alive to do it over they would make some changes. Maybe not.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2022 08:08 pm
I always watch a portion of American Ninja Warriors. Two full hours is more than I want to spend. You can't usually guess who will fail, except I have figured out that it doesn't matter how strong and athletic a contestant is, if they have big old heavy legs they're going in the water.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2022 08:08 pm
I always watch a portion of American Ninja Warriors. Two full hours is more than I want to spend. You can't usually guess who will fail, except I have figured out that it doesn't matter how strong and athletic a contestant is, if they have big old heavy legs they're going in the water.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2022 07:21 am
Two days in a row we got thunder but nary a drop of rain.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2022 05:55 am
Despite our three shots, my wife has a recurrence of covid. She tested positive yesterday. Waiting for her to wake up to see how bad it's going to be.
Ragman

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2022 09:25 am
@edgarblythe,
Wishing you both the best. Hope it’s mild.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2022 10:12 am
@Ragman,
She went to bed a little early last night and slept in this morning, but she's well enough to do the laundry. (She won't let me near the washer in case someone would wonder why I let a sick person do that)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2022 10:36 am
@edgarblythe,
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2022 12:16 pm
Here's a minor piece of trivia you might find interesting.

The Dominican priests were the ones behind the Inquisition.

They would dress all in black and were known colloquially as God's dogs.

That is a pun. Dominus. Canis.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2022 10:29 pm
When I was still working I developed a habit of walking into the shop and forgetting why I was there. It got frustrating. One day I walked in and said, "I don't know why I'm here." I said to myslef in a forceful voice, "You do know why you're here." Worked like a charm. From then on all I had to do was tell that to myself and I had instant recall.
roger

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2022 10:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
I may try that, myself - if I remember it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2022 12:28 am
@edgarblythe,
Walking through doors changes your thought process.

I don't get it in shops, but I'll often walk into another room and instantly forget why I was there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2022 04:46 am
Another problem I had when I was working, everything is made these days for people with small hands. Likely because little of it is made by Americans. But that's only a guess. Something as simple as a ceiling fan could give trouble. The last ones we were using I couldn't screw in a lightbulb without inventing a way to hang onto it while pushing it into the socket and turning it. The faucets we put new in the kitchens had a number of tiny parts I couldn't get to, except, as with the bulbs, inventing ways to manipulate them. I was glad when it became time to retire.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2022 06:21 am
My wife's taking this round of Covid in stride. She doesn't appear to be as bad off as with the first round. But since I'm not inside her head she may be thinking otherwise.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2022 06:51 am
I realized yesterday that the Sahara dust is inhibiting some tropical storm activity.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2022 09:29 am
Picking up street trash - Hot and muggy. The cute rascals put heavy black tape on some bushes' branches and scattered rocks and concrete chunks over the dead grass. They work harder than me at it all week long, which keeps them from robbing and stealing, so it's all good. Plus all that fast food, alcohol, and tobacco will eventually slow them down. I leave the rocks and such for the other residents to worry about. After all, I'm not their parent or hired help. A woman in a big pick up stopped and handed me a fiver and a banana nut cake. Made my morning. I raked away the dead leaves around the mailboxes and headed home to put on the A/C. They say hold back on the electricity. I say, "**** Governor Abbott."
roger

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2022 10:24 am
@edgarblythe,
I agree
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2022 12:51 pm
On the Movie Titles thread I entered Square of Violence. I saw it in NYC in the 60s, I believe. Been trying to track down a copy for a long time. It stars Broderick Crawford as a doctor in a German occupied village during the war. In its opening scene, the doc makes his way into an upstairs room that overlooks a gathering of German officers. He tosses a bomb down there, cleans up everything, and makes good his escape. The officer in charge rounds up all the men of the village and stands them in ranks in the square, setting a deadline for killing them all if the bomber did not confess. Kind hearted doc confesses, but the officer won't accept the confession unless the doc can tell him what the bomber left behind at the scene. A big part of the film is the doc agonizing to come up with that bit of proof. Even if he comes up with the answer there are snipers who are there to stop him from reaching German HQ. One of Crawford's better performances.
0 Replies