I'll just entertain myself

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 09:25 am
I've written extensively about the rats that invade my dilapidated home. My last remedy on here involved toothpaste. It worked for a time but became ineffective. I built a box with a row of three rat traps and a wall run so that they can't miss them. I began catching them with it, using alternately Ritz crackers and dog food chunks. But it has been a revolving door of one batch moving in once the last is gone. About two weeks ago I read up on baits. D-Con used to work great, but the later influx of rats ignored it. The brand with five stars on several web sites was Victor Rodent Killer. So I put some of that in strategic locations. They actually ate it and I have found no evidence any more are around.

Part of the problem has been the cutting away of the remaining forest remnants on both sides of the main road, creating homeless conditions for hundreds of animals. I am sure displaced rats came this way. I only suddenly became aware just how many animals were actually killed rather than simply displaced. Squirrels, birds, possums -
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 08:11 pm
My recipe for a good night of sleep was working like a charm.Then the other night I began to lie awake and toss and turn most of the night. I researched to learn what went wrong. One site gave a possible answer. It said that taking vitamin D and certain B vitamins, along with a few other items I don't use too close to bedtime will keep you awake. And I had forgotten to take my B vitamins early and had made up for it late two nights in a row. I took my vitamin B and other supplements with breakfast today. Tonight I will test this bit of knowledge. (A reminder that my sleep remedy consists of putting cinnamon on a banana and eating it 35 to 45 minutes before bedtime)
Ragman

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 07:15 am
@edgarblythe,
I’ve occasional bouts of insomnia. I sometimes get more consistent help with meditation and quietly playing pink noise than any nutritional or dietary doings. This also assumes a certain amount of activity or exercise during the day, however. If I don’t get exercise or just have a sedentary day, all bets are off about sleeping well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 01:26 pm
Daily for over a week the forecast has tantalized us with rain chances as high as 80 or 90 % at times. It worked out great along the coast. Here in Tomball we ended up getting about a two minute light rain. Now the system has moved on. wtf I want my rain.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 04:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
I take 10 mg of melatonin - it seems to work and isn't harsh on any of the bodily systems.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 05:01 pm
@BillW,
I tried some kind of melatonin once but it didn't agree with me.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 06:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
I tried it, too. Didn't hurt anything, but it also didn't seem to help with sleep.
BillW

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2022 12:04 am
@roger,
Glad it works for me! Stuff I used in the past makes me sleep forever or puts me in a "drugged" hangover, including my old standby - benadryl.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2022 05:41 am
Aleve makes me sleep very well. I just don't like taking it all the time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2022 01:27 pm
They've cancelled the fireworks show due to the drought. First time I recall this happening.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2022 01:34 pm
Loud thunder and exploding fireworks scare the **** out of many animals. My dog jumps up barking and wants outside so he can confront it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2022 02:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Melatonin? Wasn’t he on the Dick Van Dyke Show? His boss?
glitterbag

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2022 02:41 pm
@Ragman,
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2022 03:47 pm
@Ragman,
No, he wrote The Christmas Song.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2022 09:41 pm
I slept badly for my knee last night. All day it hurt to bend it or even walk. My wife put some of her stuff from a tube on it. It felt icy for a time. After that it slowly got better. It has recently gotten back to normal, as we approach the hour of bedtime. I have to find a new position to sleep in.
Ragman

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2022 07:02 am
@edgarblythe,

I’ve been trying some CBD oil (no THC) on my painful knee. I had been working on preparing and painting my deck all last week. Our regular handyman was too busy to do it so I ‘Volunteered’. Lots of bending and kneeling. Standing up afterwards was a surprise event.

This is the first time for me using CBD oil. I must say that it works well with no side affects.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2022 07:18 am
@Ragman,
I was using it for a time. I was happy with it, but had too many things already in use, so when the health food store jacked up the price I gave it up.
Ragman

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2022 12:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Botto. Line is keep using whatever works for you and doesn’t make you go broke. How’s your Moringa tree and the tea working out?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2022 01:34 pm
@Ragman,
My moringa tree is alive and well. It's the one rather small plant I give water these days. Lately I've been drinking a black English tea. I love it most of all teas I have tried. For a time I experimented with other teas but this is the only one I buy now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2022 02:21 pm
When movies become insanely popular I either avoid them altogether or else wait years to watch them. It's a quirk I'm not sure the reason for. I didn't see The Godfather until a few years ago. Didn't see The Magnificent Seven until several years back. I watched Around the World in Eighty Days on TV many years later. I named these in particular because I found them so disappointing.