I'll just entertain myself

Ragman

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2022 12:15 am
@edgarblythe,
I think he clearly can act. The movies he chooses or that choose him or a bit skewed away from the mainstream, I guess you could say.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2022 03:18 am
@edgarblythe,
How about the Fast Show?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2022 06:29 am
@izzythepush,
I searched The Fast Show. Known here as Brilliant. I never knew about it until now. Youtube has it. I just watched a few sketches. I like that sort of thing.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2022 06:47 am
One Johnny Depp film I remember liking, his family was kidnapped. The kidnappers wanted him to assassinate somebody to secure their release. Don't know the title and don't recall the final scenes.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2022 07:15 am
@edgarblythe,
Johnny Depp became afan when filming over here.

He asked to be in one of their sketches, and is in one with the two randy tailors.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2022 07:26 am
It had me laughing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2022 09:22 am
The sort of comedy I genuinely love
Ragman

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2022 11:17 am
@edgarblythe,
Truly one of my faves of all time. An interesting series of clips and thumbnail bio about him. Conspicuously absent is any mention of Mae West his occasional costar in some of his most famous movies…My Little Chickadee. They never got along as she hated him and requested to be scheduled so that they weren’t filmed at same time…side-by-side. (She didn’t like his drinking). However, the movies were good together.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2022 11:38 am
@Ragman,
They left out his role in David Copperfield and a number of other good clips. The video could have been twice as long and still left out too much.
Ragman

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2022 01:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
That’s the thing with mini-bios. David Copperfield is a good example.

FWIW, I learned finally, after these many decades, that his real name is Dukenfield…not Duncanfield.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2022 02:16 pm
@Ragman,
When I was a boy he sometimes appeared on the Edger Bergen Charlie McCarthy show. The dialog on there was a real disappointment after all I had seen from these people before that.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2022 05:42 am
I finally submitted a story to a magazine that specializes in westerns. The one about a man fleeing the Civil War to avoid shooting at his own family and in the west gets forcibly caught up in a massacre of Native Americans.
Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2022 06:43 am
@edgarblythe,
I’ve heard some of those recordings. Some were clever but most were not.
Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2022 07:27 am
@edgarblythe,
Congratulations on submitting. Did they accept your story or is it too soon?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2022 08:49 am
@Ragman,
They said they average inspecting submissions after six months. One to forget and then be surprised some day.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2022 11:13 am
@Ragman,
Good luck with that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2022 11:16 am
Noon news today: Next few days record demand on the power grid. They say this every single time we get hot weather. One record routinely topping the last. That's like the weather person saying it's eighty degrees but it feels like six hundred and fifty.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2022 11:28 am
Cinema Shorthand Society
·
When John Wayne informed Bruce Dern that Dern's character would shoot Wayne's in "The Cowboys" (1972), he told Dern that audiences would hate him for it. Dern responded by saying, "Yeah, but they'll sure love me in Berkeley." Shortly after the film's release, Dern received death threats for his character shooting Wayne in the back.
"I remember the day I shot John Wayne in 'The Cowboys.' He had never had a bullet hit put on him. Never! And he leaned into me and said, 'Is this gonna hurt?' And I said, 'Absolutely it’s gonna hurt! You should get one of those big USC Marching Band Roman shields that you put on the front of you, ’cause they’re gonna blow a hole in your chest!' And he knew that, but he’d never had it done. Mark Rydell was the director, and we decided that the only way the scene could really work for an audience is if Wayne was surprised. So unbeknownst to him, we put a bullet hit in the back of his jacket. And I shot him in the back the first shot. And he did not know that was gonna happen. He played it like a pro, went all the way through it and everything, got up, and told Mark Rydell and I we were both pr!cks."
"(Wayne) was just great to me. He did something to me that was the most welcoming, inviting thing in my career. He said to me on the first day, 'I want you to do me a favor.' I said, 'Yessir?' He said, 'I want you to pick on me all day, every day, and be absolutely careless with your attitude toward me, so that these little kids that are scared sh!tless of me, if you can treat me like that, then what might you do to them?' And it worked! And had he not given me that blessing, so to speak, I’d have backed off a lot. But I didn’t." (IMDb/AV Club)
Happy Birthday, Bruce Dern!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2022 03:53 pm
Got a jury summons today. Age 70 is the limit to when they can call you. I will be approaching 100 in 2042. You do the math.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 10:27 am
I voted by mail in the primary. The ballot was returned because I failed to write my dl # on the ballot envelope. I was instructed to write it in on a new envelope and mail it again. I did so. Days later I was contacted twice with instructions to vote in person to be counted. Apparently my remail didn't reach them. There was no guarantee it would not get there in time. I reasoned that if I went down and tried to vote I would be charged with trying to vote twice, so took no action. Got my disqualifying letter yesterday.