I'll just entertain myself

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 01:37 pm
The ones responsible for cleaning the vile property I've been writing about finally got serious. They brought in a great dumpster. After filling it almost beyond its capacity and hauling it off, they set to work burning the wood. During the process they cut down the trees. What they didn't haul they burned. Yesterday a man used a blower to push loose trash together. All day today a man has been filling a big garbage can on wheels and rolling away with it down a nearby side street. My guess is he found a spot to get away with illegal dumping. At the rate he's working he could finish before Monday, but he has been known to take breaks of three or four days. Soon there will be nothing left to remind me of those bastards.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 02:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I voted by mail in the primary. The ballot was returned because I failed to write my dl # on the ballot envelope. I was instructed to write it in on a new envelope and mail it again. I did so. Days later I was contacted twice with instructions to vote in person to be counted. Apparently my remail didn't reach them. There was no guarantee it would not get there in time. I reasoned that if I went down and tried to vote I would be charged with trying to vote twice, so took no action. Got my disqualifying letter yesterday.

This is the exact reason I don't vote.by mail! And, that decision was made before the rat skunk Repukes started their illegal polling shenanigans. I was scared of the many pitfalls possible in just routine ballot decisions and mailing problems. Now, I don't trust that a Repuke won't get a hold of my ballot somewhere in the mail or voting systems and corrupt my ballot!
BillW

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 03:12 pm
@BillW,
I am not as scared that "someone" will take away rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of of Happiness as I am scared a Repuke will invade my RIGHTS!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2022 03:28 pm
I've voted by mail more than ten years without incident. But "our" government in Texas now believes that they have **** up the works in every category, so here we are.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 10:06 am
I see stories quoting the inflation rate as either 6 or 8 percent, not including gasoline. That may be what they want us to believe, but the money I spend at the grocery store is a hell of a lot more than 8%. I may have fell off a turnip truck but I know how to use my fingers and toes to cipher.
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 11:24 am
@edgarblythe,
Rate of infection might be more meaningful or useful.

Seriously, the rate of inflation and how ‘they’ figure it is the least truthful or meaningful statistic to us in the trenches.

What matters to us is how much is left in our pockets after we pay our mortgages/rent, transportation, heating/cooling/maintenance of residences, medical coverage/health, food and entertainment costs. We’ve all taken a massive hit in the last year. worse when you figure 2.5 years of COVID. If they told the truth it would greatly alarm the masses. So ‘they’ dish out pablum and placebo.

Ain’t I the ray of 🌞 sunshine?!
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 12:42 pm
@Ragman,
Almost everything they feed us is lies these days.
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 04:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Lies or meaningless distraction. Oooh, look, a squirrel!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 05:46 pm
Watching Los Tres Chiflados. They always precede Svengoolie. Svengoolie going to present Frankenstein 1970 tonight.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 05:49 pm
Went in Walmart the other day. Cops were all over the place. Just learned there were thugs robbing people as they got out of their cars.
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 06:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
Jeez. It’s Walmart, fercrissakes. Haven’t they suffered enough?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 07:47 pm
@Ragman,
I go to those big stores because they put the decent independents out of business.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 08:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, then they rapidly diminish the quality of items they sell. Hooray for us.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 09:12 pm
@glitterbag,
It's hard to boycott somebody who is the only one with what you need.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 09:14 am
Watched Frankenstein 1970 last night - sporadically, because it was boring. Boris was in it. Total ripoff. Didn't get to see the monster at all, just him being all wrapped up with two eyeholes. Once Frankenstein was dead it ended without following what went on with the monster.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 10:03 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I go to those big stores because they put the decent independents out of business.

I don't understand this. You go to them BECAUSE they put them out of business or AS A RESULT of them going out of business? Two completely different things. Do you mean you have no other choice in your area?

We just had a family-owned and run hardware store close down after being in business since 1949. Sad to see it go. Every time I went in there, it was fairly busy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 10:15 am
It's much like the migrant workers, as in Grapes of Wrath: The only place to obtain your goods is the company store. They could boycott the store if they so chose, but the children's bellybuttons would then be scraping their backbones.
BillW

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 10:28 am
@edgarblythe,
They got paid at the front of the line only to find at the back end, after they picked up all needed food for the next month, they had to get a loan to pay for some of their needs!

"........
I owe my soul to the company store"
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 10:35 am
@BillW,
Also, the more days they stayed, the lower the wages became.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 01:27 pm
Had to write a new short story. It pushed its way in with increasing urgency until I had to drop all else and go at it. Got the first draft in less than a week. That's blazing speed for me, even though it's only two pages. About a Galactic Federation census taker and a bot on a dirtball third planet, a thousand years hence.