Let’s chat about the atheist religion.

Greatest I am

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2020 07:34 am
@auroreII,
auroreII wrote:

open-mindedness
How can you say you have open-mindedness when you appear to have this foregone conclusion that there is no god. Your open-mindedness has its limits. I don't think I'd call it open-mindedness.
People are flawed, that is our human weakness, our failing. I'm not perfect and I've yet to meet anyone who is. People who call themselves christians are flawed. The bible instructs us not to judge. (That's God's job. He can see into the heart of a man where we can not.)
At the heart of Christianity is Jesus. People may say they are a christian, but if you want to see what the perfect christian is look only at Christ Jesus- caring, loving, self sacrificing, giving, and forgiving...
So if you see a flawed christian, look not at them but at Jesus for your example and don't judge others for their flaws and weaknesses. We are not to judge others, but to forgive them for being human simply on the grounds that we are human too- forgiveness is not always an easy thing to do, but that is where you will find peace.

I have not concluded that there is a supernatural god.

Gnostic Christians hold no supernatural beliefs.

You contradict your bible when you say we are not to judge.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Care to put your other foot in your mouth?

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2020 07:55 am
@auroreII,
auroreII wrote:

At the heart of Christianity is Jesus. People may say they are a christian, but if you want to see what the perfect christian is look only at Christ Jesus- caring, loving, self sacrificing, giving, and forgiving...

Forgiving. How do you see a forgiving god when he forgave none but 8 people when he used genocide in Noah's day?

What of hell? How in hell is purposeless torture and death forgiving.

I think we have a different definition of forgiving.

Forgiving is curing instead of killing. Right?

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2020 07:59 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Aggressive, pushy, so-called "strong" atheists certainly act as though it were a religion. Personally, I don't know if there is a god, but I don't believe it because it's implausible. I find all of that Jesus bullshit hilariously implausible. For that, I get labelled a "weak" atheist, and implicit atheist.

I don't know if there is a god, I don't believe there is a god, I don't care if there is a god.

Do you not care about all the harm that the god believers continue to do to women and gays with their vile doctrines of homophobia and misogyny?

Do you not care that they preach that a genocidal god id somehow good?

I think it is our duty to care and to try to end such poor beliefs.

Don't you?

Regards
DL

0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2020 08:00 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am a true Atheist.

I worship Atheos, the zeroth before all other gods. There are many false atheists.

That is what surveys are saying.

Atheists Are Sometimes More Religious Than Christians
A new study shows how poorly we understand the beliefs of people who identify as atheist, agnostic, or nothing in particular.

Americans are deeply religious people—and atheists are no exception. Western Europeans are deeply secular people—and Christians are no exception.

These twin statements are generalizations, but they capture the essence of a fascinating finding in a new study about Christian identity in Western Europe. By surveying almost 25,000 people in 15 countries in the region, and comparing the results with data previously gathered in the U.S., the Pew Research Center discovered three things.

First, researchers confirmed the widely known fact that, overall, Americans are much more religious than Western Europeans. They gauged religious commitment using standard questions, including “Do you believe in God with absolute certainty?” and “Do you pray daily?”

Second, the researchers found that American “nones”—those who identify as atheist, agnostic, or nothing in particular—are more religious than European nones. The notion that religiously unaffiliated people can be religious at all may seem contradictory, but if you disaffiliate from organized religion it does not necessarily mean you’ve sworn off belief in God, say, or prayer.

The third finding reported in the study is by far the most striking. As it turns out, “American ‘nones’ are as religious as—or even more religious than—Christians in several European countries, including France, Germany, and the U.K.”

“That was a surprise,” Neha Sahgal, the lead researcher on the study, told me. “That’s the comparison that’s fascinating to me.” She highlighted the fact that whereas only 23 percent of European Christians say they believe in God with absolute certainty, 27 percent of American nones say this.

America is a country so suffused with faith that religious attributes abound even among the secular. Consider the rise of “atheist churches,” which cater to Americans who have lost faith in supernatural deities but still crave community, enjoy singing with others, and want to think deeply about morality. It’s religion, minus all the God stuff. This is a phenomenon spreading across the country, from the Seattle Atheist Church to the North Texas Church of Freethought. The Oasis Network, which brings together non-believers to sing and learn every Sunday morning, has affiliates in nine U.S. cities.

Last month, almost 1,000 people streamed into a [Atheist] church in San Francisco for an unprecedented event billed as “Beyoncé Mass.” Most were people of color and members of the LGBTQ community. Many were secular. They used Queen Bey’s songs, which are replete with religious symbolism, as the basis for a communal celebration—one that had all the trappings of a religious service. That seemed completely fitting to some, including one reverend who said, “Beyoncé is a better theologian than many of the pastors and priests in our church today.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...theists-religious-european-christians/560936/

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Jasper10

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2020 05:27 am
@farmerman,
Why not try being a believer as well then just if it’s only to balance things up a bit.Initially believe all three, if that is possible.Trying to be a believer means one has to take on different ingredients like being prepared to accept that certain things can only be revealed to a person who believes on the basis that their heart has been softened up enough to accept it.One starts understanding/accepting the term faith.
NealNealNeal

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 11:12 am
@auroreII,
This is a wonderful reply. I know that my life doesn't reflect Jesus' love as much as it should. However, I am still in the process of sanctification.
God is HOLY and righteous. Christians must not deny that Jesus is the one who spoke about hell We need to speak the truth.
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 11:20 am
@Jasper10,
thats not even close to being realistic. Why should I divide my attention by a proposition that is fully evidenced v one that is based on campfire stories.
NAME one thing in Genesis that has evidence supporting it. What about all the other "Gods" and their apostles??

I know you guys need to provide a "label" similar to religion on atheism. It is a belief, thats true but the result is impiety , since A-theism means "Absence of gods". Evidence seems to favor an absence of gods, and an "Overabundance" of gods throughout the world, ach seeking favor as "The true God".

Good Luck with that.
Were we going to court, and I had a Clarence Darrow type, I think he could prove that atheism is an absence of gods without using science at all.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 11:39 am
I'll bring the beer and soda's, can somebody bring popcorn and chips?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 11:43 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

NAME one thing in Genesis that has evidence supporting it.

Nudity.

If you don’t believe me google “nudity.”
0 Replies

Jasper10

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 12:11 pm
@farmerman,
There is absolutely no solid evidence for evolution that’s the point.Scientist can’t even come up with any solid bone evidence when they should be tripping over thousands if not millions of convincing morphing evidences in the geological rock layers.Absolutely zilch evidences.Personally,I have moved on from the evolution folly based on the rock solid evidence that there is no evidence for evolution and not because it appeases my religious beliefs.There has to come a point when one needs to believe in the unseen things or unproven things hence the faith factor/ingredient.If you cannot accept this element of reasonings then ok that is for the individual but do you accept that if there is a God and you have no interest in him it’s only fair that ultimately he has no interest in you? I don’t have to provide any evidence to you or anybody.I have no burden on me whatsoever.
NealNealNeal

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 01:14 pm
@Jasper10,
Don't we as Christians have the obligation to explain why we believe in Christ. After all, people's salvation is at stake.
Jasper10

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 01:31 pm
@NealNealNeal,
Christians do have an obligation to point people in the right direction, yes of course, but only to those who are interested in listening,to those that aren’t, why waste your time?
NealNealNeal

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 01:50 pm
@Jasper10,
You're right. 😉
Jasper10

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 01:04 am
@NealNealNeal,
The dual/double thinking mind is a problem, a big problem, because both sides of the mind can play devils advocate with each other.In unbelief (atheism) both sides agree (0,0).If one side decides that it’s not so sure it can default to belief.However, it only occupies one side of the mind debate,whilst the other side of reasoning remains in unbelief.Combine the two i.e. (1,0 or 0,1) and you have (agnosticism).It doesn’t take much of a stretch in the imagination to realise that there has to be a (1,1).This principle of how the mind works can be applied to all manner of things.The two types of consciousness states being one example.
NealNealNeal

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 11:32 am
@Jasper10,
It is my spirit vs. my emotions. My spirit is full of joy for what God has done for us
However, my emotions want God to say to everyone "welcome to heaven". My mind knows that Universalism has no basis in the Bible. However, my emotions want it to be true.
I know that Christianity is true because I have a personal relationship with Him. I am grateful to God because I know that I don't deserve anything but hell. I rejoice in God. However, I mourn the fate of the non-believer.
Jasper10

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 12:48 pm
@NealNealNeal,
Even though God never sins and has never sinned he had to take the punishment fully for everyone’s sins throughout history so nobody has the excuse that he doesn’t care for them.He does.He had to do it here on earth because we would all be moaning that he didn’t know what it is like living this life.He does.Only God could do this unbelievable thing.I mean if he is God he can do anything,right.The reason it had to happen this way is because perfection (1) swaps with imperfection (0) in the perfect formula.The devil only had to get him to sin once and his sacrifice would not have been accepted by his Father.His dying words were..It is finished..An amazing victory won for those who have the eyes to see it.God can do no more for man than this.If anyone rejects this sacrifice then unfortunately there is nothing more God can do for them or he breaks his own perfect formula.He cannot let any sin into his presence that has not been atoned for.This is just how it is.Hell could not hold Jesus because he was sinless.Hell can and will hold me if I do not accept this sacrifice of Jesus on my behalf because I am not sinless.I am glad that my (0) can be swapped by to a (1).
maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 01:45 pm
Jasper and Neal are pushing fake Christianity. This nonsense is as far from the biblical Jesus as you possibly can get. They have no compassion. The show no forgiveness no kindness and no peace. They have no hope, no faith and no love.

There is nothing the biblical Jesus hated more that religious hypocrisy. I agree with Jesus.

This thread is the reason that more and more people choose to be atheists. It is empty and cynical.

I hate this form of fake Christianity. It is ruining a perfectly good faith.
Jasper10

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 01:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Which bit don’t you like? please explain.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 03:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Can I suggest you read 1 John 2:2.Mathew 7:21 can be a challenge for some who are not sure they are right with God.It makes perfect sense to me that I cannot earn my right to enter heaven either in this life or in the next (purgatory).What was the point of Jesus dying on a cross if it didn’t achieve anything? I am genuinely intrigued that I know this and yet you seem not to.Is this why you have taken offence?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 03:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
...pushing take Christianity.

Just because you see it as "fake", doesn't make it so.

That is what bothers me most about all the different religions and their further divisions into various sects, levels, branches and whatnot.
The Methodists alone have fractured into so many parts, one has to figure out new rules whenever going to a different church...even if they both claim to be Methodist