Are you disappointed 21st century tech is not as advanced and/or as sophisticated as you expected?

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 02:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm looking up Mindflex, and apparently scientists are skeptical on how exactly it reads the neural impulses.
The fact that the game has been off shelves for 10 years implies that the game was a failure.

And those sports mentioned on those lists have limited mainstream appeal and and niche popularity. For example, robot fighting has been around since 2000 with the BattleBots show, but it never had mainstream appeal.
BillRM

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 03:04 pm
I remember having floor to ceiling book shelves now most of my personal library is contain in an electronic reader with roughly one and a half thousands books and it smaller then one old paperback book.

Did almost having a nerve breakdown when the reader had a problem and I did not have mobile access to my library until I could repair it.

I can not help wondering if the human race would have an event that totally wipe out our high tech culture how will we rebuild if the hard copy books no longer exist and the survivors are lock out of our electronic libraries.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 09:37 pm
@Rebelofnj,
So basically what you are saying as far as sports are concerned is that many people still prefer things done and made the old-fashioned way for the most part.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 12:15 am
@Rebelofnj,
IF creating futuristic, high-tech sports is too much of a hassle and only appeals to a niche market as you claim then why don't they create super versions of official, professional sports that we already have?

If they can make super versions of video games and game shows, why not?

I looked up "super baseball" out of curiosity and found out about an old video game called Super Baseball 2020, which came out in the early '90s:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Baseball_2020

This is what I was talking about earlier - people in the late 20th century having the preconception of sports and other things this century being very space-age.

According to the article this game did get some predictions about 21st century baseball right; some of the predictions that came true can be seen in the game MLB: The Show '20.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:41 am
@JGoldman10,
Because it would be expensive to make a "super" version of existing sports. It is already expensive to fund the existing sport leagues.

WWE chairman Vince McMahon had to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to fund his own football league, the XFL.

Video games are not limited to reality. They can do whatever.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 05:16 am
@Rebelofnj,
Super versions of game shows are more interesting than the regular versions.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 06:21 am
@Rebelofnj,
Esports look like larger, more complex versions of the gaming competitions they used to have back in the late 20th century. Why are people okay with that?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 06:39 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Esports look like larger, more complex versions of the gaming competitions they used to have back in the late 20th century. Why are people okay with that?

They also look very expensive.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 06:43 am
@JGoldman10,
It’s hardly rocket science, would you rather be champion of something global, televised with a lot of prize money, or a an underground competition that nobody’s heard of with a top prize of money off coupons at the local burger joint?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 06:45 am
@JGoldman10,
Because modern games are much more complex than the arcade games of the 80s and 90s. Modern competition games require more strategy and mental coordination, and some games require teamwork in sync.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 07:38 am
@Rebelofnj,
So people would rather favor complex video game competitions but not complex sports. Why?

How much money does it cost to run esports competitions?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 07:42 am
@JGoldman10,
A drop in the ocean compared to jet packs, futuristic stadiums and cybernetic implants.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/britishcomics/images/c/c1/Harlemheroes.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/340?cb=20140513142329

https://marswillsendnomore.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/harlem-heroes-2000ad-1-20-2.jpg

https://marswillsendnomore.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/harlem-heroes-2000ad-1-20-41.jpg
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 09:31 am
@JGoldman10,
People put value on physical talent in sports. Hence why The Olympics, basically a showcase of physical talent, have had global popularity for years.

That is also why people are upset when athletes use steroids, performance drugs and other ways to cheat.

Nearly all video games require minimal physical activity and high levels of mental activity.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 12:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
In related news, due to the suspension of all major sport events, ESPN will begin showing esports competition of Madden NFL, NBA 2K, F1 Virtual Grand Prix, Apex Legends and Rocket League, starting Sunday 5 April.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/3/21207446/espn-esports-marathon-tournament-nba2k-madden-nfl-f1-racing-rocket-league
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 02:33 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Whoopie - how exciting.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 02:38 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

People put value on physical talent in sports. ....

Nearly all video games require minimal physical activity and high levels of mental activity.

So that's why people would rather see esports than futuristic, high-tech sports, or any advanced sports?

You didn't answer the question. How much money does it cost to run esports events? I would imagine it's a lot.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 02:49 pm
@JGoldman10,
Because the high tech futuristic sports you keep envisioning either does not exist or is not available at a practical level. We barely have self driving cars and robot vacuums; the idea of robot athletes is not feasible in today's world.

And from what I can find online, the costs to run an esports competition varies based on the game and the prize money. For a League of Legends tournament, I would guess maybe $5 million.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 02:50 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Lol. I didn't say anything about robot athletes.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 02:53 pm
@Rebelofnj,
So in other words as far as tech advancements needed for these futuristic sports go we haven't gotten there yet.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 02:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Lol. I didn't say anything about robot athletes.

Hell there are already fighting bots contents on cable channels.