Are you disappointed 21st century tech is not as advanced and/or as sophisticated as you expected?

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2020 06:06 pm
@izzythepush,
There is already enough debris floating around in space in a circle above the earth's atmosphere. We DON'T need more junk up there. Those "space billboards" would be harmful to Earth's environment anyway.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 01:51 am
@JGoldman10,
Don't get me wrong I'm not in favour of Russian space billboards, I just think there's more important things to worry about.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 04:56 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

There is already enough debris floating around in space in a circle above the earth's atmosphere. We DON'T need more junk up there. Those "space billboards" would be harmful to Earth's environment anyway.

I think I already said this in another thread.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 06:05 am
@JGoldman10,
You created a thread about it months ago.
https://able2know.org/topic/521041-1
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 08:43 am
@Rebelofnj,
I know that. I recall posting it. I remember asking people what they thought about the "space billboards".
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2020 01:59 am
Do people still use old-fashioned camcorders in this day and age?
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2020 05:55 am
@JGoldman10,
I'm sure there are people out there that still use camcorders. but most people nowadays use their smartphones to record video due to the convenience .
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2020 01:25 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I think I read somewhere the camcorders most people use now are digital ones. VHS tapes are no longer being mass-produced.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 09:20 pm
Am I the only person who thought that new kinds of pro sports would have been invented and showcased in the 21st century by now?

I don't necessarily mean anything Space-Agey, which I presume, a lot of people in the 20th century, especially the late 20th century, thought we'd have, or anything involving the use of computers, but something high-tech at least.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 09:36 pm
For those of you too young to remember, Commodore International was a major computer manufacturing company during the '80s and '90s. You should look them up on Wikipedia.

The Commodore Amiga was, if I'm not mistaken, the most sophisticated computer model out at the time.

My dad wanted to get me one when I was young so I could produce 2-D animation, but he never did.

It's a shame the Commodore company went bankrupt. I'd like to think how sophisticated and advanced 21st century Commodore Amiga model computers would have been. They probably would have blown their 20th century predecessors out of the water.

0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:14 am
@JGoldman10,
It is easier to improve current sports with newer tech (safety equipment,
better gear) , than it is to create a brand new sport out of whole cloth.

There are esports, which are 21st century versions of arcade competitions of the 80s and 90s. The most popular games in esports are League of Legends, Rocket League, and Fort Nite.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:36 am
@Rebelofnj,
I thought something like "hoverball" would have been a pro sport by now .
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:03 am
This is how "the future" was imagined in the '30s!

https://abenba121.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/214703054bcade05b8208c2cfe286750.jpg
Sturgis

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:39 pm
@hightor,
That's downright terrifying!
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 03:45 pm
@hightor,
Young women dressing like Ameila Airehart and interfacing with people via dining plates?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:14 pm
@Sturgis,
Why "terrifying"? That's weird to say the least.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:20 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I thought we would have had more advanced forms of sporting events like American Gladiator or Ninja Warrior or American Ninja Warrior by now. There was another sports competition show that was similar to these three, but I can't remember what it was called.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 01:52 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I thought we would have had more advanced forms of sporting events like American
Gladiator
or Ninja Warrior or American Ninja Warrior by now. There was another sports competition show that was similar to these three, but I can't remember what it was called.

When I was a kid there was a game show called Double Dare and a similar one called Fun House. In both series teams would have to perform physical stunts to win and the winning team would have to race to make it through an obstacle course in a fixed amount of time.

I think the competition show I'm thinking of was like a cross between American Gladiator and Ninja Warrior or American Ninja Warrior but had a Double Dare- or Fun House-like obstacle course at the end. I'm not sure about any obstacle course but I recall contestants being illuminated.

I am not sure if the show was meant to be serious or comedic. I recall seeing some man dressed and looking like some muscle-bound redneck as a contestant in the show.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 06:07 am
@JGoldman10,
You might have had unrealistic expectations of the future. Typically, people enjoy sports more when they can try and play them at an amateur level. The most popular sports are usually the simplest ones, like Soccer and basketball.

Not many people are going to play a game that requires batteries, expensive equipment and wires just to play an amateur level game.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 12:58 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I think many people in the late 20th century thought sports would be Space-agey, like in The Jetsons, or in some other futuristic, sci-fi works of fiction.

I've said I think tech will evolve to the point that it can be controlled by reading the neural impulses in one's brain. We have tech like that now. We have mind tracking devices like EEG headsets. There's a boardgame called Mindflex.

I could see a sport called "airball" or "hoverball" (whatever you want to call it) being developed that involves a ball or balls being levitated, players being levitated or using some kind of hovering conveyances and mind tracking devices. Basically a sport that expands upon the principle of using mind tracking devices.

There's an interesting article I found about futuristic sports on Bleacherreport.com called "15 Coolest Future Sports". There's another one on Latinpost.com called "Top 5 Futuristic Sporting Events That Are Getting Attention".

There are futuristic, hi-tech sports and sporting events in development.