Are you disappointed 21st century tech is not as advanced and/or as sophisticated as you expected?

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 07:35 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

...and then, it will end. Pfft! It shall be gone and the planet will be able to rejuvenate itself to its former beauty!

(sans humans of course)

You sound like George Carlin. I think Carlin did say something along these lines when he was doing stand-up.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 09:11 am
One think I love is that I no longer need floor to ceiling books shelves and can and do carry a few thousands books around in a device that fit in a large pocket.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 10:43 am
@BillRM,

BillRM wrote:

One think I love is that I no longer need floor to ceiling books shelves and can and do carry a few thousands books around in a device that fit in a large pocket.

My wife still reads books. I am addicted to my Kindle. I can make the print as large as I want...or need.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 11:00 am
@BillRM,
I too enjoy my Kindle. Very easy to read at night without the need of a lamp.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 01:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I still read books and mags. I still read and use newspapers. I haven't read any newspapers in a long time. I remember buying daily papers and then I'd usually just buy the Sunday paper for the circulars and coupons, but I do read newspapers. There used to be a newspaper vending machine up the street not too far from where I live that I could walk to and put coins in to get a paper out out of but the machine was moved a long time ago. My family and I used to have a newspaper subscription - we had daily papers delivered to us then we just had Sunday papers delivered but we dropped our subscription altogether because it got too expensive.

I don't recall the last time I've ever read any newspapers.

If I want to read newspapers I can go to my local library and read them and/or look at archived copies of newspapers online.
BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 01:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

BillRM wrote:

My wife still reads books. I am addicted to my Kindle. I can make the print as large as I want...or need.

As every year I get a year older the fact that I can control the print size is more and more important to me.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 01:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
Every morning I used to go in early to work so I could enjoy reading the morning paper while drinking coffee before work and on Sunday I would load the Sunday paper onto the back of my bike and cycle to a running park to sit under a tree with the paper watching the girls run by beside reading the paper.

It not the same sitting at my kitchen table an reading the news off my laptop for some reason.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 01:48 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I still read books and mags. I still read and use newspapers. I haven't read any newspapers in a long time. I remember buying daily papers and then I'd usually just buy the Sunday paper for the circulars and coupons, but I do read newspapers. There used to be a newspaper vending machine up the street not too far from where I live that I could walk to and put coins in to get a paper out out of but the machine was moved a long time ago. My family and I used to have a newspaper subscription - we had daily papers delivered to us then we just had Sunday papers delivered but we dropped our subscription altogether because it got too expensive.

I don't recall the last time I've ever read any newspapers.

If I want to read newspapers I can go to my local library and read them and/or look at archived copies of newspapers online.

Newspapers are important, J. I subscribe to the online edition of both the Washington Post and the New York Times...and read them both.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 02:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
There's only one local paper I used and read. I thought the Sunday paper was the most important paper of the week; it has all the coupons and circulars in it and all the job listings for the week in it. That's why I focused on getting it more than the papers from the rest of the week. Why I stopped buying daily papers and only got the Sunday paper each week. Why my family stopped getting daily papers delivered and only got the Sunday one delivered each week.

BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 02:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
Google need a setting that you can set it to block linking to news websites with paywalls. Hate doing a search an finding a paywall when I link to it.

Yes I am able to brush such walls away at a touch of a key killing javascript but there are moral problems with doing so.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2020 09:37 am
I'm impressed by the advancements in virtual reality, both hardware and software.

Here is a 1991 VR demonstration

And gameplay from 2020's Half-Life: Alyx

And a tech demo of the Occulus VR headset.
0 Replies