Are you disappointed 21st century tech is not as advanced and/or as sophisticated as you expected?

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 01:39 pm
Hi. I am just curious about this. I kind of am. I recall in the late 20th century people thought tech in the 21st century was going to be something like the tech you envisioned in futuristic sci-fi shows and movies.

At least The Jetsons and Back to the Future II got some predictions about the tech we would have in this century right.

Digital tech this century is still worlds away from what digital tech was in the late 20th century. Smartphones and some digital tablets I have seen and other digital devices are little computers you can keep in your pocket.

Video sharing sites was relatively unheard of in the late '90s when commercialized internet access was still in its infancy stage.

Before commercialized internet access came about, watching TV shows, movies, ads, etc. and listening to songs, etc. from your computer was unheard of.

The internet has gotten more sophisticated and advanced since then to an extent.

Video sharing sites are a big thing now. Web videos didn't take off until the early 2000's.

Social media is a big thing now. That wasn't around in the early days of commercialized internet access if I am not mistaken.

Streaming I know would have been unheard of decades ago. So would downloading apps.

E -cigs and Vapes definitely would have been unheard of in the late 20th century.

They do have a means with which you can interface with people now. You have web cams and they have smartwatches with which you can interface with people.

Cars with built-in GPS would have been unheard of in the late 20th century.

I thought tech would have been far more advanced and sophisticated by now.

I am still wondering where are the flying cars and teleporters we were promised.

I know scientists were experimenting with teleportation but only on a molecular scale. Flying cars are in development somewhere in Europe but they aren't being mass marketed yet.

Cryptocurrency would have been unheard of in the 21st century.

We do have holograms of celebs performing at concerts. I think I recall people predicting we would have that in the 21st century

I recall reading that there were certain new types of tech in development and being discovered somewhere. Technological breakthroughs and innovations. I read something somewhere about quantum computers and I read elsewhere scientists figured out how to crystalize light.

I was told a lot of tech like the tech we envisioned we'd have in the 21st century in futuristic sci-fi shows and movies that came out in the late 20th century isn't being developed and put out because of Flat Earthers but I don't know if that is true or not.

What about you? Are you disappointed 21st century tech isn't as advanced and/or sophisticated as you hoped or thought it was going to be?

Please help - thank you.

View best answer, chosen by JGoldman10
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 02:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

We do have holograms of celebs performing at concerts. I think I recall people predicting we would have that in the 21st century.

FIXED.

AI's like Siri and Alexa and Google Assistant would have been unheard of decades ago.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 02:40 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I am still wondering where are the flying cars and teleporters we were promised.

Did car manufacturers actually promise to make flying cars? I imagine it would be legally impossible as the FAA would have make new lanes of traffic in the sky, so that they would crash into planes and buildings.

Personally, I'm not disappointed as there have been so many shows, films, and books that try to depict the future and they are never fully accurate. Many predictions are just pulled out of imagination, instead of being based on reality.

Plus, history has shown that society slowly adapts to new technology, and it takes time for tech to be cheap enough to be available to a wide audience.
It is why cell phones took years (introduced in the early 80s) to become ubiquitous in society in the late 2000s.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 03:57 pm
@Rebelofnj,
No comments about teleporters? Okay.

My mother told me when she was a little girl she said that in the future there were going to be watches with which you could see the person on a screen and you could interact with that person. We have watches like that now. I think she prophesied that.

I don't recall if flying cars and teleporters were actually promised to the general public or not but I think people actually thought we would have those by now.

This was decades ago - I don't know for certain.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 04:04 pm
@Rebelofnj,
What 21st century technological advancements have been made that are NOT computer-related?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 04:19 pm
@JGoldman10,
*Cars are now safer than in the past. Here is a crash test between a 1959 car and a 2009 car. End result: the 1959 driver would have died instantly. The 2009 driver would only suffer minor injuries.

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 04:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
My mother told me when she was a little girl she said that in the future there were going to be watches with which you could see the person on a screen and you could interact with that person.

Early versions of the modern smartwatch have appeared in pop culture for decades. Samsung even made a commercial for their Galaxy Gear, showing the fictional watches seen in movies and shows

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 04:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I was told a lot of tech like the tech we envisioned we'd have in the 21st century in futuristic sci-fi shows and movies that came out in the late 20th century isn't being developed and put out because of Flat Earthers but I don't know if that is true or not.

That doesn't make any sense.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 05:57 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I recall in the Jetsons cartoons, people could interface and interact with people on their watches.

The cartoons basically showcased a lot of prototypes for the tech we have now. The ideas they concocted for 21st century tech was not that far off.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 06:02 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I don't the correlation between Flat Earthers and current tech either.

No one in the late 20th century ever thought we would have tech that would allow us to fast forward ads on our TVs, or tech that would allow us to directly record and save programs on our TVs.

That is a radical idea.

I recall if you wanted to record a show off of TV you had to program a VCR to do so. For some people that was a hassle.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 06:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Cryptocurrency would have been unheard of in the 20th century.

FIXED.

I don't like the idea of cryptocurrency. It seems very ominous and untrustworthy.

There seems to be a lot of secrecy involved and it feels like a Big Brother means to control one's finances.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 06:42 pm
I'm not at all disappointed with the great strides technology has made.

Then again, it never took much space in my life wondering what might be developed or advanced technologically.
If one had asked me 50 or even 40 years ago, what was I expecting in the future, cellphones, digital stuff, easy to access videos and books online, none of these things would have occurred to me.

Then again, I started out when television was quite limited and in black and white, as were most photos. Telephones had rotary dials and many people shared party lines. Answering machines and VCRS were down the road a bit.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 12:48 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:
JGoldman10 wrote:

That doesn't make any sense.

How about with some commas:

I was told a lot of tech, like the tech we envisioned we'd have in the 21st century in futuristic sci-fi shows and movies that came out in the late 20th century, isn't being developed and put out because of Flat Earthers, but I don't know if that is true or not.
oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 01:24 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:
*Cars are now safer than in the past. Here is a crash test between a 1959 car and a 2009 car. End result: the 1959 driver would have died instantly. The 2009 driver would only suffer minor injuries.

There should be harsh criminal penalties for anyone who deliberately destroys a classic car, even if they are that car's lawful owner.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 05:48 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I don't get the correlation between Flat Earthers and current tech either.

FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 05:54 am
@oralloy,
Why did people in the 20th century, especially in the late 20th century, think 21st century tech was going to be so space-agey?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 06:43 am
@JGoldman10,
I'm guessing that fascination was fueled by the Space Race between The United States and Soviet Russia during the 1950s to the 1970s.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 06:51 am
@Rebelofnj,
In the late 20th century I thought 21st century tech was going to be superdigital and that we were going to see a lot more things with virtual reality and holograms.

Max Headroom was an idea that was ahead of its time.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 06:59 am
@Rebelofnj,
Was that the inspiration for shows like The Jetsons and Futurama and movies like Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 07:34 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes. It was very obvious that the Space Age and space exploration influenced The Jetsons and 2001: A Space Odyssey. This New York Times article details the Space Age's influence on pop culture and architecture.
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/25/science/space/25pop.html

Futurama premiered years after the Space Race and was more of a parody of the Jetsons and the retrofuturist stories of the 40s and 50s.

Blade Runner is a bit different. Its source material, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, was written in the 60s, during the Space Age, but the story was not at all set in space nor was it about space travel. It was about a detective hunting down androids in a dystopian Los Angeles.