Are you disappointed 21st century tech is not as advanced and/or as sophisticated as you expected?

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 04:50 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know that.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 05:07 pm
Are there any plans for Hollywood to produce any more live-action/animated films using traditional animation and digital ink and paint?

The last feature film I know of that was live-action and traditionally-animated was the recent Mary Poppins film that came out a few years ago.

I know Disney and Warner Bros. are still producing traditionally animated films. Most of these films as far as I know are direct-to-video or are made-for-TV.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 05:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
The only one I can think of is Space Jam 2, which is coming out next year.

I'm guessing the still in development sequel to Disney's Enchanted will use traditional animation once they finalize the details.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 06:52 pm
@Rebelofnj,
They are coming out with Space Jam 2. Okay. Speaking of feature films that have been rumored to be in production, I saw a recent ad online for Bill and Ted 3. It's slated to come out in August.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 09:48 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

So they had a third woman portraying Harding. I'm confused - who performed the triple axe jump?

I meant a second woman portraying Harding. There were obviously two people portraying Harding.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 06:45 pm
When will we get tech that's actually space-agey, like how people envisioned it would be in the late 20th century, through film, TV, comics, video games, etc.?

People actually thought tech in the 21st century was going to be like the tech they had in The Jetsons, or like in Back to the Future II, at least.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 07:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
The devices and inventions seen in media are not grounded in reality and many of which are limited to the imagination of the artists.

Plus, many old depictions of the future never foresaw the ubiquitous use of cell phones and smartphones. The Jetsons used at-home video phones, while Back to the Future Part 2 had both video phones and fax machines being in regular use.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 07:29 pm
@Rebelofnj,
But The Jetsons and BTTF2 did make some predictions about 21st century tech that came true.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 07:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
If one makes a bunch of predictions about the future at the same time, some of them are bound to be true.

As I said, many inventions seen are not possible to make with current tech. We barely have self driving cars; we are nowhere close to getting flying cars.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 07:37 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Somewhere in Europe prototypes for flying cars are being worked on.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 01:46 am
@JGoldman10,
Where exactly?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 01:56 am
@Rebelofnj,
Actually the technology does exist but it’s not practical. I saw a flying car being demonstrated on a science programme or other but it wasn’t straight forward.

The wings had to be fitted to the car beforehand which took some time. It wasn’t a case of driving off a cliff and pressing a button.

In the end it wasn’t viable. The sort of person who could afford all that could probably afford a private plane and a better looking car.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 04:55 am
@izzythepush,
Probably should have clarified to meaning commercially available practical hover cars.

Plus, I'm sure people would need to get a pilot's license to use a flying car, in addition to a regular driver's license.
BillRM

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 05:02 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Probably should have clarified to meaning commercially available practical hover cars.

Plus, I'm sure people would need to get a pilot's license to use a flying car, in addition to a regular driver's license.

More then likely such vehicles will be mainly control by computers with only minimum control by the pilot/driver therefore not needing a pilot lic.

Similar, in a way, in that ultralights, do not need a lic to be flown.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 05:27 am
@Rebelofnj,
I ‘m sure they would, and a hangar to store the wings when not in use.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 05:28 am
@BillRM,
The flying car I saw was not computerised at all.
0 Replies

Teufel

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 06:14 am
@JGoldman10,
We as a species are held up by ourselves and the weirdness which is believed by the masses ... Religion is the basis for almost all of this.

Example .... Stem cell research has been held back endlessly by religion and the supposed 'morals' it has engendered in the masses or rather the pressure groups who steer the masses.

We should have had self driving vehicles on the roads several years ago, but they are being held up by 'The Trolley Question' which is another shorthand for moralising.

Our son is researching/creating algorithms with his people which will become a part of the coming AGi (Artificial General intelligence) brains. They are working to turn human emotional responses, emotional intelligence all aligned to personal growth into mathematical equations: They are succeeding ... How soon the public will allow this technology to be used is another question altogether.

Unfortunately we are a species that loves to fight and have wars .... Presently the US is held back much because of it's 'public opinion'. Body bags of it's young people being returned from a foreign land that 99% of the US population couldn't find with two hands and a map, does not make for good TV news.

Within the next few years at most, as the technology already exists and is well researched, there will be semi or fully autonomous battle field robot soldiers, i.e. armed robots ... A squad of up to 12 units most likely, delivered to their destination by a remote piloted Osprey style vertical lift aircraft ... As an retired conflict fighter, I would not want to be looking out of my hut door and see that lot coming down the street.

However, even more frightening is that once that comes to be ... the present brakes on the US military machine, the largest in the world by vast proportions .... They come off .... No more body bags, no more losses of US human life .... Nothing but dead opponents to cheer in the patriotic fervour of the unthinking classes.

Without 2,000 years of Christianity and the other major social control religions, we would quite obviously be so much further ahead as a species ... Though to be fair, we may well have turned the Earth into an uninhabitable burnt rock many centuries ago
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 08:53 am
I've said this once before: the digital tech we have now is still worlds away from the digital tech we had back in the late 20th century. The tech we have now is far more sophisticated than old 20th century tech by comparison.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2020 12:05 am
@JGoldman10,
It's what is passed out as progress. Naturally, there are many who wisely disagree.

The future will for some time advance technology farther than one could imagine....

...and then, it will end. Pfft! It shall be gone and the planet will be able to rejuvenate itself to its former beauty!

(sans humans of course)
BillRM

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2020 03:35 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

It's what is passed out as progress. Naturally, there are many who wisely disagree.

The future will for some time advancfo=e technology farther than one could imagine....

...and then, it will end. Pfft! It shall be gone and the planet will be able to rejuvenate itself to its former beauty!

(sans humans of course)

Long long before mankind came on the scene earth had been doing a fine job of fouling itself by the view point of mankind.

Hell at one point the whole earth was cover by sheets of ice miles deep.
0 Replies